PDA

View Full Version : Name meanings

AngryTurnip
12-21-2003, 04:37 PM
(don't worry, this isn't about my site)

These are names from Lord Skylark's monster lists (http://www.geocities.com/lord_skylark/ffmon.html) that he couldn't translate:

Dosmea
Paralyma
Thief Guzko
Zande
Placti
Acrophies
Apanda
Carofisteri
Chamcubia
Colnago
Dearo
Dilure
Gagera Gageri
Isteritos
Lunenta
Garkimasera
Mukare
Owazoral
Orcat
Ricard Mage
Sand Porikipes
Spizner
Tote Avis
Antesansan
Brachioreidos
Doo-Doo-Fe-Doo
Diorbeda
Foper
Iprukrapper
Ipooh
Koja
Lithwarbihhe
Megalodurk
Mu
Neisho Rhythm
Pararadia
Paplium
Renergia
Rogenoia
Serido Hopper
Varigalmander
Vecta Istos
Zokka
Baba Velamyu
Basigandi
Bagnadorana
Brachioreidos
Crypshay
Deen Glow
Gershumerze
Grangalan
Grashtrike
Gyrofelgo
Jayjugemi
Kyubirdenynus
Levrikon
Madouju
Magnad
Nerosuferoth
Podrea
Puazo Cute
Rilf Sack
Vargid Police
Zenene
Ziggy
Zolokalter
Zemzelett
Belhelmelhel
Doromani
Esansushi
Elviore
Elnoire
Fungongo
Gesper
Gomani
Grat
Grand Dearo
Granaldo
Garkimasera
Hisari - Saguto
Hisari - Seruto
Hisari - Soruto
Raldo
Shumelke
Wyrd
Zemzelett
Antesansan
Brachioreidos
Epeej
Garkimasera
Raldo
Sano
Uno
Akagi Shadow

Has anyone else had any luck with these? FFcompendium has Mu up ("From David Byrne: "Mu was a mythical lost continent.However it was also believed to be inhabited by giant hermaphrodite lemming/rodent type creatures which match the description of the creature itself."), and I have a feeling that Ipooh is named after Winnie the Pooh (Square seems to have a thing for bizarre pop culture references), although the extra "I" seems pretty weird. When I saw "Dearo" my first thought was Richard Shaver's Dero (subterranean giants), although I'm sceptical of that theory.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-22-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by AngryTurnip
Thief GuzkoI still think this guy's name was meant to be "Cusco," which is a major historical city in Peru.
Tote AvisAs in Jura Avis and Archeo Avis, "Avis" means "bird." I don't know about "Tote," though.
Brachioreidos"Brachio" means "arm" and refers to the long necks of the Brachiosaurus. Again, I don't know about "reidos."
VarigalmanderThis should be "Vrigarmandah." It's a combination of the names of Vritra, a legendary asura; Garuda, a mythical bird who has made several other appearances in the seires; and the Mandah, an Arabian category of protective deities.
Madouju"Madou" is the prevalent term for "magic" in the series, although "mahou" is the more common term in real life. "Ju" can mean quite a few things.
NerosuferothIt's clearly "Nerosferatu," as a reference to Nosferatu, a famous vampire. The actual monster is a small lizard, though, so it doesn't make too much sense in context.
Sano
UnoThese are people. Sano and Uno are just their names. "Uno" means one, but it holds no significance here.
Akagi ShadowQuite simply, "Crimson Shadow."