PDA

View Full Version : ff7 for pc

one_winged_angel
12-25-2003, 08:00 AM
Anybody know where I can get hold of a copy of FF7 for pc for my friend? She has no consoles so she can't get it normally...

metCloud
12-25-2003, 02:47 PM
I looked it up on amazon.com before and saw it. Im not sure if it was new or used though. If you cant buy it online because your to young or somthing, you are out of luck! no stores carry it anymore.

one_winged_angel
12-26-2003, 03:19 AM
Hey buying something isn't the only way to get it. *cough*download*cough*

metCloud
12-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Oooo, well I cant help you there. Maybe just trying WinMX or kazzaa, which you probobly know that. Its really not worth it though because FF7 PC has wicked compatability problems.

CloudDragon
12-26-2003, 02:01 PM
FF7 PC = teh suck.

I'm sure you could find it on eBay somewhere, for a fairly cheap price.

one_winged_angel
12-27-2003, 05:01 AM
I would try kazzaa/winmx but my bro won't let me put them on my computer. Apparently they are virus packed :(

And I know that FF7 pc isn't as good as gettin it on psx but like I said in my first post it isn't for me, it's for a friend in London who doesn't have a psx.

Cloudane
12-29-2003, 03:08 AM
*cough*bittorrent*cough*suprnova.org*cough*

*sneezes*

metCloud
12-29-2003, 06:48 PM
Just one question....How the heck do you use that suprnova site??? I dont uderstands those torrent files.

Silent Warrior
12-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Grab a BitTorrent download-client-thingamajig and All Will Be Made Clear.

Proper topic: Well, my best bet would be to look really hard (or do teh nazzty with ePSXe or something). Um. Both in real life and internet-shops.

one_winged_angel
12-31-2003, 01:25 PM
Yes Cloudane if you can find FF7 on suprnova.org then I would be very happy but I have been using bit torrent for a while now and I have NEVER seen FF7 on that site.

Strider
01-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Or, you know, I could just sell you the copy I have, if you really want it that badly. I've beaten it, and I'm not really into it enough to hold onto it forever.

Shockwave Pulsar
01-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Why dont you burn your psx copy, sell it to her and have her use bleem to emulate it on her computer.

one_winged_angel
01-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Nevermind now guys thanks for your help but silent warrior has already given me a download :D so I don't need help any more.

Cloudane
01-09-2004, 12:16 AM
I double-checked BitTorrent on the day I posted that reply, it was definitely there and working *shrugs*

I never post such information without checking it first. If you couldn't find it or didn't read my bit until it was gone, then that's your problem...

Skogs
01-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Once you download the patch and reconfigure the controls, FFVII for pc is fine, I found. Saves buying a PS.

Cloudane
01-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Sorry about that last reply, I was a bit grumpy last night :p

eestlinc
01-11-2004, 06:26 AM
psones are only like $50 anyway and you can play tons of good games, like ff1,2,4,5,6,7,9, and tactics. there's also ff8 if you like.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-11-2004, 08:18 AM
:aimwink:

Rainecloud
01-11-2004, 02:14 PM
I'm glad you found it, but please remember that it's vastly inferior to the PSOne version.

I've only ever seen one copy of the PC version of the game, and that was on E-Bay. It must be pretty rare.

DMKA
01-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Yeah, you'll really be missing out on the music more than anything with the PC version...or so I hear.

BTW does anyone know of any differences between the PSX and PC versions? I know a few translation problems were fixed, but anything else? I remember along time ago when the PC version was first released (damn, a LONG time ago), I was a Best Buy and I looked at the back of the box and it had a screen shot of Aeris, Tifa, and Red XII or Barret (can't recall) fighting the Hundred Gunner (the big machine thing you fight when you going down the elevator). However, everytime I play FF7, its been the PSX version and Tifa stayed behind while Aeris, Barret, and Red XIII go and fight on the elevator...weird.:O_O:

Silent Warrior
01-12-2004, 08:34 AM
deviletc.: Well, FF7PC looks better. :p Better translation (well, I'm REASONABLY sure there's no 'This guy are sick', but 100% sure there's no 'That's how you fool them.' - 'Hm... So that's how you fool them.') Depending on the soundfont used, you're bound to have some... interesting sounds coming from the MIDIs. Half the fun in FF7 is trying various combinations anyway, isn't it? ;)

one_winged_angel: Is it working properly? I don't see the files being uploaded... Well, I don't spend all day checking, but...

Xander
01-12-2004, 11:55 AM
I have the PC version as well as the PSX version but I'd *much* rather play it on the Playstation. I only really got the PC version out of curiousity. The graphics aren't so good (on my comp at least) and the screens take longer to load, plus on one computer I tried to install it on I had so much trouble with the sound. The movies also look very pixelly on my computer.

Right now I've lent it to a friend since it's one game I don't mind lending as I still have the PSX one. She's more of a PC gamer and I'm hoping it might get her into FF :D

Still, buy a playstation they are more fun to play on!

Cloudane
01-12-2004, 10:39 PM
With the latest XP patches and such it can actually be better than the PSX version IMO. Equal music (except for the One Winged Angel tune missing vocals) and far better graphics. But it doesn't work out that way for everyone.

There is one other difference I've noticed - camera angles are different. Example: When you're fighting Bizarro Sephiroth.. on the PSX version you're looking kinda diagonally and he falls 'sideways'. On the PC version you're looking right at him (with Holy in the background etc) and he falls normally to the bottom of the screen.

Other than that, not a lot of differences that I noticed!

DMKA
01-12-2004, 10:57 PM
*Wants to play the PC version now*:(

Silent Warrior
01-13-2004, 08:04 PM
*Pokes Cloudane* If you have a Soundfont-capable soundcard and use Square's .sf2s, you DO get vocals. Not live-quality, but they're there. I haven't managed to get so far in the PSX-version to hear that version (corrupted savegames being the chief issue).

katana
01-26-2004, 06:38 AM
So, how much better are the graphics if you download the patches?

Cloudane
01-27-2004, 12:22 AM
Seems a typical improvement of PC over console.. higher res, smoother textures etc. If you've played Tomb Raider on both the PSX and PC, then that's the difference we're looking at.

Managed to get a couple of screenshots... they don't really do it justice (especially in .jpg format) but should give a general idea of the graphical improvements. Even simple bits like the faces on the menu system are so much sharper. Note the fonts are broken however, some get that problem and some get nice smooth fonts.

http://www.cloudk.clara.net/storage/ff7menu.jpg
Menu - notice the sharper details particularly on the faces

http://www.cloudk.clara.net/storage/ff7newbie.jpg
Newbie area - smooth character rendering. The girl practicing her limit gets a green tint at limit break, rather than just plain "turning green".

http://www.cloudk.clara.net/storage/ff7map.jpg
World map - it was me who chose the alternative camera angle (for the screenshot!) rather than the game. Slightly darker map, but more smooth again.

To be honest those screenshots really don't make it look that much better. You have to see it in motion to see the (actually quite large) difference.

Could never really get soundfonts working properly in XP, will have another go some time.

halohalo
02-12-2004, 11:21 PM
http://home.so-net.net.tw/halohalo/nv20_8xS_1.JPG
http://home.so-net.net.tw/halohalo/nv20_6xS_4.JPG

If you use nvidia's graphic card , you can enable fsaa with rivatuner. For gf3 or gf4ti, 2x2 AA should work well without problem.

You can find more information from:
http://forums.qhimm.com/viewtopic.php?t=2670

more snapshots:
http://www.geocities.com/halo_halox/page_2_2.htm
http://www.geocities.com/halo_halox/page_2_1.htm

The soundfont (http://home.so-net.net.tw/halohalo/ff7sf030913.rar) should work with Live!5.1 or Audigy2. You can hear choir effect in last battle against Safer Sephiroth.

eestlinc
02-13-2004, 07:29 AM
I had the PC version originally and then I bought a PSOne recently to play ff9 and some of the rereleases and I went ahead and got ff7 while I was at it and I was disappointed by how the game played on the PSOne. Then again, I had just finished playing ff9 which is infinitely superior in graphics, controls, etc, so maybe that swayed my decision. The PC version is better if you don't mind the inconvenience of using the PC rather than the PS console.

escobert
02-17-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Rainecloud
I'm glad you found it, but please remember that it's vastly inferior to the PSOne version.

I've only ever seen one copy of the PC version of the game, and that was on E-Bay. It must be pretty rare.

I saw it over here in the US all the time in stores. I dunno about over in th UK but over here it was everywhere it seemed.

Godzilla3001
02-29-2004, 04:34 PM
I haven't got anything to say on ff7 on pc, cos i haven't got it in ps1, so what's it like and is it worth buying. magazines r alright but i don't trust them that much.

Marcus
02-29-2004, 08:41 PM
I got it, had to cough up quite a bundly for it via an Ebay contact though. Its pretty rare in Europe, espescially the version I had, still sealed and unopened =D

Yes, the music isn't as neat as on the PSX.. Thats quite a shame. Graphics are superior though. It's all about priorities. It works buggy on any Windows later than 98, in my experience at least. It works like a dream on Win98 though. Espescially with an Nvidia Geforce card. They made a patch for that particular card, and after you installed that, it works like a frigging dream.

I had some minor graphical glitches in the Black Matera Piramid though, and so did a friend of mine. Unimportant, but an annoyance indeed. Kinda ruined that cutscene. The movies were directly ported from the PSX version, so the quality of those pretty much sucks, but you'll get used to it after the first three movies anyway.

I'd say the PC version is preferably over the PSX version. Question is, will it respond to your specific system? On modern computers, being able to play FF7 is always a wild guess...

C Strife
03-05-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by one_winged_angel
Hey buying something isn't the only way to get it. *cough*download*cough*

True, but how can you support the makers of a great game by steali... ahem I mean "borrowing" it. But, of course, there is always this alternative...

E-Bay (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=final+fantasy+vii+pc)

EDIT : I would suggest item number 3081180749. It has a seller who has 100% positive feedback, with a high amount, a buy it now, and a decent quantity of them in-stock. Of course, you can also check EB and Gamestop stores in malls. They're pretty good at having some of the more popular games, even older ones, in stock.

DJZen
03-05-2004, 06:09 AM
It's pretty understandable that the movie graphics look more pixelated on the PC version. If they're the same files that were used on the PSX version, they were made for a very low resolution. I can't remember what resolution the PSX typically uses, but I think it might be under 640x480, which is fairly low for most modern computer monitors. I'm currently running 1280x1024 on a 19" monitor. Any time you try to enlarge a picture, it looks either blurry or pixelated, depending on what system of enlargement you're using. Basically, in order to make a low res movie run full screen on a high res monitor, it has to be enlarged and, therefore, made either pixelated or blurry.

Good gravy, I talk too much.

Silent Warrior
03-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Did someone just say pixellated? *Remembers Wing Commander I/II* Woooooo, 320x240 or whatever it was, BIIIIIIIIG pixels! :cool: Hm... You know, I'll just check up on this...
Yikes! My FF7 PC CD1 doesn't look too hot...
Anyway, FF7 PC used 320x224, 24-bit colour or somesuch, Cinepak Codec (wasn't it The Duck Truemotion or something?).

Cloudane
03-06-2004, 12:47 AM
I've yet to figure out how buying a game second-hand on EBay is any more beneficial to a company than downloading it. Other than staying legal in terms of licensing, they don't get a penny either way?

DJZen
03-06-2004, 05:28 AM
It's true, they don't, which is why Nintendo Power used to warn gamers of "The EVILS of buying used games!"* The issue is more one of trying not to promote software piracy. If downloading it instead of buying it used is okay, that opens up the excuse of "well, maybe it DID just come out today, but I was just gonna wait for the store to get a used copy then buy that" or "I would only have waited for someone to sell a copy used on ebay so it's not like Square sees a dime from me either way". I personally see both sides of the argument, but I try to encourage people to buy games instead of getting them for free. If a company makes good money off a game, chances are when the sequel is released, there will be an interest in American localization of it. Do you think there would even BE an English language version of Final Fantasy 7 if Final Fantasy 6 (3 at the time) hadn't done so well in the sales department?

*May not be an actual Nintendo Power quote.

Cloudane
03-07-2004, 01:42 AM
Sometimes it can be beneficial.

I was given FF7 as a copy - had I not been, I probably wouldn't have even thought about trying it or any of the other Final Fantasy games. (I was always into sci-fi and didn't think much of fantasy... it was only the amazing story of FF7 that changed that)

Since then I've bought FF8, 9, 10, 6 and FF7 platinum. Soon to pay the rather high price of FF10-2. I've also been very vocal in promoting FF to friends (who've bought some), message boards etc. So from what was technically an illegal acquisition of the game, quite a bit was made...

DJZen
03-07-2004, 01:48 AM
I'm not the morality police, I just want to encourage people to buy the games when they're new. If ya don't, that's cool. If you do, though, it's one more reason for the company to continue making games like it. This is why you should rent BEFORE you buy. If you wind up paying for a bad game, you've told the company that at least one more person likes that sort of game.

Matrix
04-17-2004, 08:18 PM
I am still looking for a psone version of FFVII Pal
i have the pc version but i want to see de psone versoin as well

Cloudane
04-17-2004, 11:45 PM
Grab it on EBay, you can get it for next to nothing :)

Shadow Knight
04-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Kazaa = teh sux0r. It is packed with viruses and crap.

crono_logical
04-21-2004, 12:36 PM
I played both versions - to be honest, the best way to go is using the PSX version in an emulator on the PC instead, as you get to keep the better sound and FMVs of the PSX, but artificially boost the resolution of the 3D elements to something even higher than the PC version of the game is capable of. The better your PC, the more filters and higher resolution screen you can use to improve the graphics, plus you don't have to worry about what version of Windows or what model graphics card you have (as long as it's a good card) you're doing this in with a decent emulator. And you get as many memory cards as your HD can hold too, as it's in an emulator :p You might need patience configuring the emulator though to get the best out of it :p