PDA

View Full Version : No Sound

blue_midget192
12-28-2003, 12:58 PM
Help, i recently reinstalled windows XP to try and remedy PC problems and now i have no sound, we had sound before but the computer came with the sound card driver installed and i dont know wat to do help me plz

crono_logical
12-28-2003, 01:42 PM
What sound card model/brand etc. is it?

Try going to the manufacturer's website and downloading the drivers again if you've lost them.

blue_midget192
12-28-2003, 01:47 PM
sorry, i dont know that i dosn't say it anywhere, i was looking around for just a basic sound card driver to see if that would work but i cant find one :(

crono_logical
12-28-2003, 01:50 PM
What about the papers that came with your PC when you got it? It should give the PC specs, including the sound card, on there.

blue_midget192
12-28-2003, 01:56 PM
smart, it says the speakers are either Altec Lansing Speakers and Subwoofer or Creative LAbs Inspire 4400 Speakers and Subwoofer. and that the sound card is Integrated Stereo Sound or Creative Labs Live 5.1 Player. in both cases i think its the latter, does this help any?

blue_midget192
12-28-2003, 02:30 PM
ok, i downloaded a driver from the Creative Labs site and tryed to install it but it says that the Hardware isn't installed and i cant seen to do that either

Rainecloud
12-28-2003, 02:31 PM
I'm pretty sure the file you're looking for is this one. (http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/drivers/49/49771.htm)

Try installing it. If anything does go wrong, just use the rollback feature in Win XP to uninstall the drivers.

blue_midget192
12-28-2003, 02:54 PM
nope it says "setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Live! hardware on your sytem. Please ensure that your Sound Blaster Live! Hardware is installed before running this setup program. setup will now exit." i'v been to Add New HArdware in the Control Pannel and it cant find it on plug and play. also i cant install suomehthing called a "Multimedia Audio Controller" this may have something to do with it but i know not.

crono_logical
12-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Go to Administrative Tools in Control Panel, and run Computer Management, then select Device Manager in the left column of the window you get.

Are there any devices in there with a yellow exclamation mark or red cross marked by them? If so, what are they? And if there are any, you should see them straight away, you shouldn't need to expnd the tree on the right to find them since it should already be expanded out to such marked devices if there are any.

Rainecloud
12-28-2003, 03:13 PM
Go to 'System' in your Control Panel and click on the 'hardware' tab. Look for a button that says 'device manager' on it and click that. Tell us what's listed under the 'Sound, Video and Game Controllers' section on that screen. Are there any yellow exclamation marks or red crosses next to any of them? If so, which ones? Try clicking the 'hardware changes' tab in that menu, too, just to see whether it detects your 'uninstalled' sound card.

[Edit: Guu, you're such a thief! I posted that before you, I'm SURE I did! :P]

That did make me laugh.

blue_midget192
12-28-2003, 03:24 PM
i know how to get to the device manager :) but yea under sound, video, and game controllers the is: Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Vidio Capture Device, Media Control Devivce, Unimodem Full-duplex audio device, and video codecs. no yellow !'s there but ther is one next to a "Multimedia Audio Controller" in "Other Devices". propeties says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver." if i press the button that says "Reinstall Driver" it searches and then says that it cannot install it because the wizard could not find the neccisary software"

crono_logical
12-28-2003, 05:35 PM
Did you get any driver CDs with the computer too with the papers? The driver you need might be on one of those.

I don't think you have a Creative Sound Card if their drivers can't find the hardware, so you probably have an integrated sound card, which isn't really helpful as far as saying what it is is concerned. What motherboard do the papers say the PC has?

blue_midget192
12-28-2003, 10:57 PM
thanks so much, your question about the motherboard and the word "intergrated" jogged my memory. we have a CD that is for the motherboard and the driver was on there, thank you. i wasn't expecting the driver to be there, all the other drivers are seperate and i didn't know that sound cards could be intigrated with the mother board. thanks once again it was getting realy annoying having no sound. :D