PDA

View Full Version : Yet another RO related problem.

Ashi
12-28-2003, 06:13 PM
Yes different than the other topic. The problem is getting disconnected way too often; it doesn't happen to people I'm partying with - just me, so it has to be my computer.

http://www.ro-world.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=65163&st=0

That topic might explain the problem a little. Well... I would try what they said if I knew what overclocked and BIOS meant.

Yes, I'm stupid.

Erdrick Holmes
12-28-2003, 07:11 PM
No sometimes the server will disconnect people at times. Beleive me qrRO does it to me alot.

Ashi
12-28-2003, 07:25 PM
Well out of 20 people I know I'm the only person who gets disconnected every five minutes. =X

I still need to know how to fix it. My character dies every time I get disconnected and that wasted an hour of my levelling. Can't do this anymore! *cries*

crono_logical
12-28-2003, 07:58 PM
How can you do an hours worth of levelling up if you disconnect after 5 minutes? :p

And any game software that requires a BIOS update is poorly written, methinks :p The problem likely lies elsewhere :p I also fail to see how overclocking will improve your connection over the internet :p

Dr Unne
12-28-2003, 07:58 PM
Seems like a problem with your network connection. Do you experience a lot of disconnects when you use the internet in general? What kind of computer do you have? How fast is the processor? How much RAM? What kind of internet connection? What kind of ethernet card?

If you knew the IP addresses for the RO game servers you could ping them and see if you're dropping a lot of packets. If the connection between you and the game servers isn't reliable or fast enough, I don't know what there is that you can do. Probably nothing.

The question about BIOS overclocking seems off-topic and moronic, I wouldn't listen to whoever asked you that.

Ashi
12-28-2003, 08:10 PM
Guu: I did the hours worth of levelling before I started having these problems. =/

I don't have any disconnections when I'm on the internet but I've known that ram was too low for a while. internet speed: 100mbps.

I don't know the IP addresses for the game servers...

Citizen Bleys
12-28-2003, 08:32 PM
100 MBps is your NIC's maximum data transfer speed. There's no bloody way you're getting that much bandwidth over a wide area connection, unless you happen to have the kind of SONET connection that costs millions of dollars per month.

Your maximum throughput for aDSL is 1.544 MBps, and commercial users almost never get that kind of speed. You can get 30 MBps max on Cable, assuming you're the one and only person online on your cable segment.

*nitpicky* ;)

Endless
12-28-2003, 09:36 PM
My adsl modem goes up to 8192k down / 1024k up, with at least one ISP offering 2048k down. So I'd say 8d/2u Mbps max for adsl.

anyway, what else is running in the background while you're playing? p2p apps and ro for example aren't exactly friends, and I have seen ro kicking me from irc.

Citizen Bleys
12-28-2003, 10:32 PM
bits vs bytes. 8Mb = 1 MB. Your facts agree with mine, when you dig a little deeper.

Ashi
12-29-2003, 05:50 AM
Well I just got prooved as an idiot. Again.

Endless
12-29-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
bits vs bytes. 8Mb = 1 MB. Your facts agree with mine, when you dig a little deeper.

I just noticed how you wrote MBps and not Mbps. Wouldn't that make the limit for adsl at 1MBps then? (8192kb/s -> 8Mb/s -> 1MB/s)

Edit: Fast ethernet is 100 Mbits/s, not bytes. I just checked my network bible (Pujolle's) and the 802.3 standard.

Edit 2: scratch that. I just found that NTT (Japan's telecom) sells a 24 Mbps adsl (well, they call it adsl) access. That's about 4MBps then. And for $30 a month, when for that price I'll get at best 1/24th of that speed. *harakiri*

Citizen Bleys
12-29-2003, 06:14 PM
Well, I guess I'd better start checking facts instead of quoting numbers from memory...

OK, I was ass backwards--Everything I see here is in megabits per second, not megabytes

According to the Network+ Guide to Networks (Tamara Dean, 2002, Thomson Learning Course Technology) pp. 322-326, the maximum throughput of aDSL is 8 Mbps down and 1.544 Mbps up

Most commercial home "DSL" connections, however, are actually G.Lite, which has a maximum of 1.544 Mbps up and 0.612 Mbps down

sDSL is 1.544 Mbps in both directions.

The fastest available DSL technology (barring anything released since the publication of this book) is VDSL, which provides 6.4 Mbps up and 51.8 Mbps down, which beats even cable, which has 36 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up, assuming that absolutely nobody else is on the same cable segment.

I don't think that any home users have VDSL, since it is the equivalent of a SONET OC1 connection (on the downstream; I think with SONET, you get the same high throughput on both uploads and downloads); OC1 and VDSL are better than a flaming T3, and I think I priced out a T3 connection at $18,000 USD per month (That part's from memory, I'm not looking it up anywhere). If anybody can afford an eighteen thousand dollar a month internet connection, would they please buy EoFF a better server?

Ashi
12-29-2003, 07:16 PM
So my computer illetericy will never end. Don't rub it in my face. =x

I changed some of the visual settings on that setup thingy and I don't get disconnected anymore.

*hides head under the bed now*

Citizen Bleys
12-30-2003, 02:04 AM
you'd have better luck trying to push toothpaste back into the tube than you ever will stopping tech guys from talking shop.

TheAbominatrix
12-30-2003, 02:16 AM
Well I dont know how to fix your problem (what server are you on, anyway), but if you dont know already, keep typing !save as often as you can, especially after killing a monster or getting stuff. It keeps you from losing info when you get disconnected. Hope that helped.