PDA

View Full Version : Concerning RAM compatibility.

Black Mage
12-29-2003, 09:11 PM
Hello, everyone. I believe this to be the proper forum for this topic, and I failed to find any other topics to answer my question, under a quick inspection.

Here in lies my question.

I'm interesting in purchasing more RAM for my computer. However, I'm worried about buying a chip that is not compatible with my system.

I do know a little bit about this topic, but I don't have all of my bases covered.

The chip I had found a nice chip to buy, but am unaware what one of the specifications on it are.

The Chip is a PNY 256MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz.

I know my RAM slots are DDR, and I know 256MB is the amount I want. However, what concerns me, is the PC 2700.

I'm not quite sure what it means, although I believe it has something to do with the data transfer rate, but I am worried that it may cause some sort of compatibility issue.

I'm sure the more information I can provide the better, and so, my computer is an HP pavilion in model, runs with a Celeron 2.0gHZ processor, has two RAM slots (one open), 256 MB DDR RAM, and is just barely over one year old.

And so, I ask, could the "PC xxx" spec cause problems with compatibility, and if so, is there a way to check and see if it is compatible?

Thanks in advance.

Endless
12-29-2003, 09:46 PM
Putting two different speeds of ram should cause your system to use the lowest speed of the two.

If your model is a Pavilion 514x, then you should use PC2100 RAM, because that's as fast as your motherboard can use. If it's a different model, give me the exact model name and I'll look up.

For the record:
PC3200 = 400MHz on a Athlon MB, 800MHz on a P4/Celeron MB
PC2700 = idem with 333MHz / 666 MHz
PC2100 = idem with 266MHz / 533 MHz

Black Mage
12-30-2003, 01:16 AM
I appreciate the swift reply.

My model number is 533w.

Endless
12-30-2003, 01:27 AM
Go for PC2100 DDR. Unless you plan to upgrade your motherboard in the near future, PC2700 at best would run as fast as PC2100, and at worst wouldn't run at all if the motherboard isn't compatible (for whatever reason).

For future needs, <a href="http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/taskPageSelect.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&prodId=hppavilion90862&pagetype=prodinfo&docparent=prodinfo">here</a> is the HP page about your model.

Black Mage
12-30-2003, 01:37 AM
Thank you, not only for the information, but the page as well.

I suppose I'll have to go for a different chip, to be safe.

Thanks again.