Brian The Pink Shark
01-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Let's have a debate

the Topic-Why FF7 is the best one of all

1.The story line is fantastic

continue debate...:choc:

TheAbominatrix
01-01-2004, 08:26 PM
2. Its all opinion, so you cant prove why one is better than another, all you can do is argue semantics.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-02-2004, 04:23 AM
3. Cloud in a dress.

Advent Child
01-02-2004, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by TheAbominatrix
2. Its all opinion, so you cant prove why one is better than another, all you can do is argue semantics.
Thanks

Mo-Nercy
01-02-2004, 07:18 AM
It isn't. *stabs*

I was always the best on the debate team.

Cid
01-02-2004, 11:21 AM
Because it was just pure and utter fun.
And it wasn't so serious that you got completely lost in the process.
And it carried little to no ff series words ("Shinra", "Materia") without due explaination.
They took forever to make it.

HOOTERS
01-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Debates aren't designed to prove stuff btw.

-interesting characters
-tonnes of fun minigames
-interesting and original story line
-the fact that I've played the game five times and everytime I play I find something new.
-yeah it is the best so you just better stfu and accept it!

Breine
01-02-2004, 07:51 PM
I don't really know...? Maybe because it was the first FF I played, and that kinda makes it special... Other than that, the game has a great set of characters and a beautiful story!

Imperia
01-02-2004, 08:54 PM
It's ONE of the best Final Fantasy stories, but as I've said in other threads, every Final Fantasy game has it's pro's and con's. So one can't really be the best out of all of them. There are a few other best ones.

Burtsplurt
01-02-2004, 08:59 PM
It has characters that are interesting and likeable. And Mr. T... I mean, "Barret".

It's emotional in parts, but it doesn't feel contrived (hi FF8).

Sephiroth is a good bad guy. "Good" in the sense that you really want revenge.

It's very complex, but not unfathomable. It keeps you guessing.

kuno
01-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Well it was my best FF until I played on FFX couple of month ago. Like others said, there are no "best" FF as everyone has their own opinions. Also debate is when one person/group argue for one thing, while the other argues back about the one thing. And it seems like we're only gonna get the positives in here lol.

Anyways, I thought this was the best FF, and all big FF forums I've been to, and seen the post counts on FF series, FF7 always had the most post counts. This does not prove that this is the best FF, but it shows us that theres lots to talk about this game.

The story line is probably the best, for me, compared to other FFs. This was the first game for Square to bring real "emotion" to the players. Well to most players, certainly me.

Also it was a massive step from Super Nintendo to PS. Square were dealing with the big boys then, and it had no big brother to look up to. FF8, FF9, FF10 and so on, all had a big brother they could learn the good and the mistakes from. So this game was a big, and a great step for Square into a new world. And they made a great job of it.

The music I loved, couldnt have been any better. There were humour in the game too, so its not a totally morbid game. The characters were well developed. The battle systems were good. They kept the theme of the Final Fantasy very well, unlike FF8 did imo. And the villain... oh Sephiroth, what other better villain can you have except from him? (Well, except from Kefka too lol) Seph was a great Villain, Square really did rely on Sephiroth to better the game, and it was a good thing that it was Sephiroth they relyed on lol.

All in all, I think its a fantastic game (not as good as FFX though :p but way better than my worst FF - FF8 :mad: ). I hope this debate turns out to be a good one :D

volkyrai
01-05-2004, 01:34 AM
I actually didn't care for VII very much. It seemed to long and drawn out. Too many characters to mess around with and level up. And Materia (ugh), the only good thing about materia is the feeling you get when you finally master one. I like having distinct jobs like 'Mage' and 'Thief' etc. Having everyone doing everything seems a bit pointless? Why bother using more than three or four characters for the entire game if everyone is equal? Yuck. :(

HOOTERS
01-05-2004, 05:45 AM
*rebuttal*

Negative team, you said:

Originally posted by volkyrai
I actually didn't care for VII very much. It seemed to long and drawn out. Too many characters to mess around with and level up. And Materia (ugh), the only good thing about materia is the feeling you get when you finally master one. I like having distinct jobs like 'Mage' and 'Thief' etc. Having everyone doing everything seems a bit pointless? Why bother using more than three or four characters for the entire game if everyone is equal? Yuck. :(

...you suck.

SeeDRankLou
01-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by HOOTERS
...you suck.

Quite the debating skill you have there.

zacks_clone
01-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Final Fantasy VII is perhaps one of the best video games I have ever played,and perhaps one of the best I will ever play.Its graphics are not up to snuff with the things we have now(Final Fantasy X blows it away there),but it was one of the best looking games of its time.Its music was utterly fascinating(Aeris's theme,and Sephiroths were both wounderful).Its storyline is like some of the best novels or movies,filled with curv balls and drama and humor and action.At first everything starts out slow,but gradually picked up to a point where there is no way you would with to drag your fingers from the controll or your eyes from the screan.The chracters in the game are chracters we can relate to.We can love,hate,admire,or shun.Characters we cry for at one point or another(if not with tears then a hearts feel it).The game brought bizzar creatures and places to our somewhat dull reality.It expended our imagination and our picture of the future.It also brings us back to earth and shows us what could possibly lie out in the world.Destruction,greed,conflict,evil,terrorists,exct.,but at the same time it shows the struggle to keep something dear,the earth,people,pleaces,things.Anything at all.To me,such a game brings to me new light on things.

volkyrai
01-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Well, I shouldn't say I HATED it. I did enjoy the storyline and good humour. I loved the music too. So I guess it's not all THAT bad, I just don't really like the gameplay elements. I am anxiously awaiting AC though. :)

HOOTERS
01-06-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by SeedRankLou
Quite the debating skill you have there.

Thanks! Dunno why they kicked me off the debating team though. Must have been too good so they needed to even up the playing field.

Sjalle
01-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Got nothing to say than, ... FF7 RULES AND IS THE BEST FF GAME OF ALL (played it 10 times) The only FF I haven't played yet is FFX (cause I got no PSX2) Is it available at PC ?

FF7 has :

-BOMB storyline.
-cool characters, you really begin to like them if you play with them.
-Hard bosses.
-Many different weapons.
-Chocobo's keep you busy all the time (love the Chocobo races in the gold saucer).
-The dialoges are funny and always keeps your head with the game.
-Nice minigames.
-much materia.
-Everybody has a free job.
-Many cities, you really love the towns you are playing in, it's made so good like reality, the villies who are wandering around on their own and tell interesting things.
-So many secrets and possibilities.
-It's takes a long time when you finished the game (this is good, there is no such boring thing like having a game finished in a week or 2 (like FF8 of FF9)).

Actually I just love EVERYTHING about this game :D:D:D.

This is what I think, I really like to see a FF7-2 but that's never going to come anymore I guess :(.

zacks_clone
01-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Yes.I like the fact that the villian(Sephiroth) seemed to travel as you did.You would always hear people talking about this man passing through just before you got there,or something,so you knew you had to be close.While with other games(not all) the villians are stalking you and have no real way to have gotten to where you were in the time you did or even moments after without you seeing them.Drives me batty(the Symore thing in X)

Cloudane
01-09-2004, 12:21 AM
I hope we're expecting spoilers here.

Gripping storyline... first game I saw where some chick you get to know dies in FMV, plus all that time worrying about Cloud... I think that's what makes it. The way it really tugs at your heart strings.

Easy to understand magic system...

Awesome music...

The "open" elements that have led to so much discussion and triggered so much imagination over the years....

Sjalle
01-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Why U need spoilers, don't even know how to put up a spoiler or what a spoiler is.

Cloudane
01-09-2004, 10:56 PM
A spoiler is a part of a storyline that you're mentioning which another player might not have reached yet, thereby 'spoiling' their experience of unfolding a story as they go along.

You don't 'need spoilers', you need spoiler markers or masks - i.e. you need to avoid revealing them! Usually by using spoiler tags to hide the sensitive items that you want to say. Anyone who's played the game and knows the storyline can then highlight the spoiler to read the text.

Simple and classic example, if I said (highlight to read):

Aeris dies at the end of disc 1 and someone had only just met her (a late player, they do exist), that would kinda spoil their experience as they'd be expecting the outcome.

To mark text as a spoiler, use
(spoiler)juicy info(/spoiler)
but convert the curvy brackets into square ones.

Kain
01-10-2004, 06:11 AM
i disagree i think the best FF is FF IV. FF VII came in a very close second though. look old school is da [filtired] man!! but ya'll knew that already...right? right!?

eestlinc
01-11-2004, 06:24 AM
it isn't the best, but if it were it would be because of the Cloud-Yuffie interactions throughout the story, especially the date scene and the materia negotiations on the Highwind.

Sjalle
01-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Thx Cloudane for the information.
btw I don't think FFIV is the best one :) the graphics aren't cool, does it have materia?

Cloudane
01-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Sweet graphics do not (necessarily) a good game make.

Case in point: FFX

TheAbominatrix
01-14-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Sjalle
Thx Cloudane for the information.
btw I don't think FFIV is the best one :) the graphics aren't cool, does it have materia?

Only VII had materia. IV is a much different game, and if you're stuck looking for good graphics and VII clones, you're gonna miss out on a lot of great games.

Lord Xehanort
01-14-2004, 03:32 PM
Barret asking Cloud on a date.
Aeris dying.
Red XIII/Nanaki (OMFG! A dog that fights and talks!)
Vincent Valentine's Limit Breaks

Iceglow
01-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Pro's for the game imo:

the story was intense you have 3 or 4 sub plots to investigate at all times

Sephiroth really gave the impression of being the ultimate in evil bastards

It made me one of the most cold hearted serious to a fault guys in my area cry (Aerith dies)

minigames you couldnt beat it on minigames except for triple triad (always going to be my favourite a few guys I know want to make an actual version of it by sticking printouts on old magic cards or pokemon cards As of yet I'm still hunting down an image of every card if you know where I can find them all - not just stats and names like the list here, tell me.)

materia was pretty insane but cool grow your own magic I like it.

the bad:

Graphics even for the PS1 they werent the best graphics in the world were they.

FMV the FMV engines kept changing so you'd watch the intro and think wow (back then it was wow) then you'd watch Cloud fall from the mako reactor and you'd be like WTF happened to the wow engine of the intro? then along came the north crater escape with the people of Shin-Ra in the Airship and Diamond weapons death and it was super WOW it was better than the intro graphics. Square I heard of development as the game goes by but aren't you meant to replace the old "In Development" FMV with the finished thing?

Vincents story was weak allright he's the last character you get (unless you got him before Cid I forgot to first time through) but there was plenty of time to develop him further.

Cait Sith was a crap character that should never have seen the light of day I'm sorry but no.

Chocobo Racing you could enter on a gold chocobo (which if I remember cirrectly was white?) with manual control selected and it would still go wherever the hell it wanted you couldn't overtake it wanted to run up the chocobo infronts ass.

All those minigames and some really did not have any point or revelance to the game

Gold coins for the bloody Gold Square were a nightmare unless you paid exhoborant ammounts of Gil you spent hours building them up.

Other than that a great game but I'm not sure if it was my Personal Favourite out of the FF games I think 8 for all it's flaws still has that.

TheAbominatrix
01-14-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Fallen_angel_666
Vincents story was weak allright he's the last character you get (unless you got him before Cid I forgot to first time through) but there was plenty of time to develop him further.

Chocobo Racing you could enter on a gold chocobo (which if I remember cirrectly was white?) with manual control selected and it would still go wherever the hell it wanted you couldn't overtake it wanted to run up the chocobo infronts ass.

All those minigames and some really did not have any point or revelance to the game

Well Vincent was an optional character, so he didnt really get much development.

The color of the Chocobo doesnt effect it as much as the chocobo's nature. Some just wouldnt follow commands, others would. Depends on the chocobo.

The minigame's actually had a lot of relevance, they werent just random things to do. Most of the big ones (motorcycle chase, submarine fight, and snowboarding) were part of the story, which was neat.

Still, dont think much of this game.

Iceglow
01-15-2004, 03:50 PM
hmm yes those ones were related as are a few others but still alot of the ones in the golden square were just there and they were random distractions to a brilliant storyline whereas almost every minigame in 8 has revelance to the story even if it was just to explain them a little further and Triple triad was good fun and if you refined monster cards you got useful items especially when you needed low level spells later on in the game *come on give me the bloody bitebug cards all of them their mine All MINE!*

ForeverZeroUltima
01-16-2004, 01:53 AM
let's a see...why WOULD FF7 be better than the others?

Don Corneo :P

mestupkid99
01-16-2004, 03:05 AM
7 is my favorite, not only for the sheer fact the story line rules, but each character has his/her time in it. You see some games where one character takes up most of the time. Cloud can be defined as the "main" character, but throughout the game, there are side quests and even events in the main story that define the other characters. That's really cool, something many books and movies forget.

VI comes in a close second though, sporting its cast of unbelievable characters and a plotline that can deal with 7's (same odd humor, and a dark plot).

(while I'm here, minus well review 8 too!) 8 is very unique, in that it created a "power" system unfamilar to the series. In most RPG's, you gain power through leveling up, typically. In 8, you can be level 2 or 3, and be strong enough to beat the final boss; as long as you have the right magic junctioned. That really turned me on to the game, as well as the intense thing going on between Squall and good 'ole Rinoa. Seifers is a pretty decent character too.

Wow, I type too much :-p But here's my order of favorites: 7, 6, 8, eh...9? then X comes in dead last. That game never interested me...and X-2 looks even crappier than the first embarassment.

Stayin Dizzy
01-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Why FF7 is th best?

Uh it sold over 9 million copies worldwide

It spawned an entirely new generation of Final Fantasies

In depth storyline, with a well written script.

1st game where the enemies had storylines. (Shinra: Father killed, son takes over, shows how they run things differently) (Sephiroth-- Started out as good guy for Soldier--learns truth of self--goes crazy like any person could when learning that news--stabbed by cloud and fallls into lifestream--crystallized in Mako--etc etc)

Developing enemies--you dont start out with evil being fell from sky and now must die. Its a battle for the planet itself. they fight the government they fight the assasins, they fight the alien, they fight everything

Knights of the Round--no more need said

Chocobo Breeding

In depth love story

the ONLY FF game that almost all FF fans have played and beat(It's like Jhonny Depp said in Pirates of the Carribean when Commadore Nrrington said he was by far the worst pirate he had ever heard of: "But you have heard of me!")

Explains the story behind the ancients which were involved in many FF games.

And the list goes on.

Sjalle
01-17-2004, 10:26 PM

I think the minigames were just made to relax...
So you won't have to worry about the story for once but have a good time.

Well you also said something of the graphics, it's just what makes FF7 so cool. The graphics really rule lol, it's fun to play with guys who were made of "blocks".

You also said that vincent's story was weak. I don't agree but you don't have to get excited of everything that happens in the game. It's all a part of the game, Vincent's also not really a main character.

ForeverZeroUltima
01-17-2004, 10:32 PM
vincent might not be a main character, but i believe that he deserves to be one of the three people that get to kill sephiroth in the end of the game...(hey, maybe i'll start a topic on that)

Sjalle
01-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Hm no he's last limit just sucks (my opinion, can be that you can play very well with him) but I can't play with a beast that you can't control lol. No good for hard battles.

ForeverZeroUltima
01-18-2004, 12:40 AM
but even then, by the time you can get him to learn Hellmasker so that you can teach him Chaos, all the enemies are too easy to beat anyway, so i enjoy letting Vincent do whatever the hell he wants.