PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Breine
01-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Why haven't there been a FF game where a girl was the main character?

PhoenixAsh
01-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Unlike X-2 and (argueably) VI, and I think possibly another that I've forgotten.

DocFrance
01-03-2004, 12:15 AM
I think that's about it. And I wouldn't say that there's any main character at all in VI.

TheAbominatrix
01-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Probably because, for the most part, RPGs and video games in general are geared towards a male audience. Even nowadays, with lots of girls playing, there's still more guy fans that girls.

DocFrance
01-03-2004, 12:21 AM
Yep. And then there's Ashe... sweet, sexy Ashe... *sigh*

Mo-Nercy
01-03-2004, 05:41 AM
FF:TSW. Not a game but still.

Flare_Star
01-05-2004, 10:25 PM
because guys rule.

EveningCross
01-05-2004, 11:54 PM
I"m not very familiar with Japanese culture and I don't pretend to be but could it have something to do with that also since, if I'm correct, they make up most of the storylines? I don't mean to offend anybody or anything but let me know. This is not meant to be a bash on the Japanese.

Mo-Nercy
01-06-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by EveningCross
I"m not very familiar with Japanese culture and I don't pretend to be but could it have something to do with that also since, if I'm correct, they make up most of the storylines? I don't mean to offend anybody or anything but let me know. This is not meant to be a bash on the Japanese.
I don't get it. Just because you're making up something doesn't mean it can't be female.

black orb
01-06-2004, 08:54 AM
>>> Dont worry that is changing right now, in FF12 the main characters are a girl and a guy that look like a girl..

EveningCross
01-07-2004, 12:37 AM
I don't get it. Just because you're making up something doesn't mean it can't be female.

I agree. There isn't a reason why they can't make females the main characters but maybe sometimes stereotypes play a strong role in the development of characters. For instance, in FFIX, something happens to Zidane and he shrugs it off and wants to kick some butt. Something happens to Garnett and she loses her voice for like two months. That's a little skewed to me. There are plenty of strong-willed females in the world but the ones in these games always seem to crumble eventually and lean to one of the male characters. Keep in mind, I haven't played anything past IX nor have I played VIII so there could be exceptions. I'm just talkin about what I'm talkin about.;)

DMKA
01-09-2004, 12:49 AM
Umm...have you not heard of FFX-2? THE WHOLE FRIGGIN' LOT OF EM' ARE GIRLS!

And yes, in FFVI, Terra, who is a girl, is the main character. I asked Square in a fan letter, thank you:D.

Magai
01-09-2004, 03:02 AM
Yeah, they can't just make at least 2 FF's not counting X-2 where the female is a main character, because, the main character is usually the sterotypical tough guy, and the main female lead is the love interest and made out like a damsel in distress, and they usually are very boring in my opinion. They just need to make a solid FF where a female is the main character,I'd be down with that. Just as long as they don't make it so she'd be a total asshole, or being just solely for Sex appeal. Or change it around where the main male lead is the one who needs resuceing.

EveningCross
01-09-2004, 05:13 AM
Yeah kinda the way they've done with Lara Croft in Tomb Raider... minus the sex appeal thingy... ahem.

katana
01-28-2004, 09:42 PM
But Tidus was the main character in FFX, which ruined the whole tough guy thing. Besided he acted like a girl to the point where we should add X to the list.

Breine
01-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by devilmaykickbutt
Umm...have you not heard of FFX-2? THE WHOLE FRIGGIN' LOT OF EM' ARE GIRLS!

Yes, I've heard about FFX-2... I just remembered the game right after posting this thread :D

DJZen
01-30-2004, 05:25 AM
It definitely has to do with guys being most of the video game market. Not only are guys less willing than girls (speaking generally of course, I have friends who contradict this (some just to be contradictory)) to pretend to be someone of the opposite gender, but there's still a lot of subliminal sexism in our culture. Not just the whole "women are weaker" thing, but also there's a notion that women need men. Seriously, how many independant female role models are there today? Even if the protagonist is a girl, most of the time, she realizes she just needs a man to settle down with and can't be happy otherwise. I think a little of that is men projecting. Women also just don't seem as interested in pointless fighting (again, generalities, feel free to prove me wrong). I know I get kinda bored by fighting the same 5 imps over and over again to level up when what I really want to do is beat bosses and advance the story. Ultimately, though, I think it comes down to the thought that "hero" still suggests the imagery of a man. A shame? Perhaps, but there you have it.

Caltrap
01-30-2004, 08:12 AM
Your right, there is a lot of "man big, woman quick" stuff in videogames still, but I think the real reason for the male main chars is that the main market for VGs is for males (sorry girls, it is changing). Final Fantasy's are only good if the players can relate to the main character and feel what that character feels. Its a lot easier if the main character is the same gender as you. I felt alienated a little in FFIX because I just couldn't see Zidane as doing things out of the goodness of his heart. It changed near the end when he had other reasons, but to start with, I didn't relate at all. Zidane seemed to perfect (tail and all) whereas the flawed characters such as squall Cloud and Cecil made me feel involved.

And FFVI didn't have a main character. Terra was the central character to the plot, but there was no main character per se

--Cal

DJZen
02-01-2004, 07:56 AM
Squall made you feel involved? How? All he really did was say "whatever" a lot. Then he bugged out of course, but after that he went right back to saying "whatever".

DocFrance
02-01-2004, 08:08 AM
...Then he completely flipped out of character and started caring about other people for no reason at all.

DJZen
02-01-2004, 09:26 PM
I'm picturing Squall and Rinoa's marriage.....

R: Squall, our children are hungry...
S: Whatever...
R: Oh come on, you HAVE to get a job! We'll NEVER move out of this trailer if you don't!
S: So?
R: Fine, I'm going to live with Zell. At least our kids can eat hot dogs there...
S: No! Rinoa! Don't leave me! You can't leave! Not now! NOT NOW!!!!! Ri... noa.......