PDA

View Full Version : Airship Question

§håd0w
01-03-2004, 02:11 PM
The other day I finally bought my copy of FF Anthology and started playing FFVI again. Don't get me wrong, I had beaten V and VI way before they were released on PSX, but anyways...

On SNES, when it was released as FFIII, the first airship was called Blackjack, but in the manual for Anthology, in the FFVI section, it calls the airship the Zeppelin. I was a bit confused since there is no Zeppelin in the SNES version. Someone help me out here.

Outsider
01-03-2004, 02:57 PM
Maybe they're calling it "zeppelin" instead of "airship"... But the name of the Setzer's zeppelin (or airship) is Blackjack

But I'm not sure, I never played the Anthology version...

§håd0w
01-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Yea, neither did I until two days ago. That's what I thought though, thanks.

i90east
01-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Maybe in Japan they've always been called zeppelins.

§håd0w
01-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Probably, since there were a whole bunch of name changes from FFVI JPN and FFIII US. That's probably what it was.

DocFrance
01-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Well, they were probably just calling it A zeppelin (as opposed to THE Zeppelin) since both the Blackjack and the Falcon are zeppelins - unlike any other FF airships.

Doomgaze
01-03-2004, 07:57 PM
The ones in IX were zeppelins as well.

"airship" in the real world IS interchangeable with zeppelin or blimp, however, VI and IX were the only FF airships that fit this. The others just had lots of propellers/rockets. And possibly a FLOATER stone.

EDIT: MOST of the ones in FFIX. The Viltgance and the Invincible were not, and I'm sure there were some others.

§håd0w
01-03-2004, 08:46 PM
Where did Viltgance show up? I remember Invincible, but not Viltgance.

Doomgaze
01-03-2004, 09:28 PM
I believe it is a production model, and a squad of them is present at the Iifa tree when you bust your way through the dragons? They're the little ones. I THINK. I know there is a card of it, though.

§håd0w
01-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Is that where Cid says "Make way for the Invincible?" If so, then I think I know what you're talking about. I probably also have the card as well.

Edgar
01-04-2004, 09:05 AM
I noted a very disturbing change in FFA form FFVI. At the start of the game, Wedge/Biggs calls Terra a sorcerER. By right, it should be sorcerESS.

anyway, in the SNES version, Terra is called a 'WITCH'. Bleh to them.

TheAbominatrix
01-04-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm pretty sure she was called a sorcerer in the original version. She's been called a sorcerer every time I play a rom version of it. She's called a witch by Locke, though.

They didnt change many lines in the FFA version. I think only two dialouge changes were made, one was making the guy who says 'I saw a sasquatch walkin with some moogles' appear to be drunk, and I cant remember the other.

§håd0w
01-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Most of the names changed as well.

Outsider
01-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Vicks ans Wedge called her a sorcerer, I'm sure... I played it too many times to forget

ForeverZeroUltima
01-04-2004, 07:27 PM
well, a lot of things were changed from the japanese version to the english version. i happen to have the japanese version, but everything is in english, so it's unedited :). and i found a few things:
Tina=Terra
Lock=Locke
Mash=Sabin
Cayenne=Cyan
Moglies=Moogles
Cefca=Kefka
Cait Sith=Stray
Ketsuheri=Palidor
and so on......

TheAbominatrix
01-04-2004, 09:50 PM
The only names that changes in the SNES - PSX conversion is Vicks becoming Biggs.

And I'm not refering to any Japanese to English stuff.

§håd0w
01-04-2004, 11:13 PM
I found that wierd how they got Vicks out of Biggs. (JPN-ENG)

Kawaii Ryûkishi
01-04-2004, 11:41 PM
"V" and "B" read the same in Japanese, and "K" and "G" are very similar, too. It's still unfathomable that Wedge's name was translated correctly while Biggs's was somehow confused, though.
Originally posted by ForeverZeroUltima
Cefca=KefkaThis is not a name change. Mr. Woolsey just chose to use the less ugly spelling.
Lock=LockeSame case here.
Moglies=MooglesThat's môguri, an INCREDIBLY clever combination of the Japanese words for mole (môgura) and bat (komuri). Since the little guys are moles with bat wings and all.

"Moglie" is just as invalid as "moogle."
Katsuheri=PalidorQuetzali, not Katsuheri.

Yada yada yada.

§håd0w
01-05-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryûkishi
"V" and "B" read the same in Japanese, and "K" and "G" are very similar, too. It's still unfathomable that Wedge's name was translated correctly while Biggs's was somehow confused, though.

My point exactly.

ForeverZeroUltima
01-05-2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryûkishi
"V" and "B" read the same in Japanese, and "K" and "G" are very similar, too. It's still unfathomable that Wedge's name was translated correctly while Biggs's was somehow confused, though.This is not a name change. Mr. Woolsey just chose to use the less ugly spelling.Same case here.That's môguri, an INCREDIBLY clever combination of the Japanese words for mole (môgura) and bat (komuri). Since the little guys are moles with bat wings and all.

"Moglie" is just as invalid as "moogle."Quetzali, not Katsuheri.

Yada yada yada.

damn, foiled again by Ryukishi X[