PDA

View Full Version : CDROM drive noise

eestlinc
01-04-2004, 03:26 AM
whenever I play an audio cd or dvd in my computer cdrom drive it won't stop making the loud "cd is whirling around buzzing noise that usually stops after a few moments" and it's really annoying?

anybody know why that might be? is it bad?

Erdrick Holmes
01-04-2004, 03:32 AM
I had this happen to me before, try opening up your computer and remvoing the drive physically and putting it back in, because it sounds like a part inside is kinda rubbing up against another in movement.

eestlinc
01-04-2004, 04:01 AM
i'm pretty sure i could fix it by opening the computer up but i don't really want to do that right now because my stupid dell is a pain to open.

crono_logical
01-04-2004, 04:43 PM
You probably will have to open it up, although not to take the drive out completely and put it back in. That noise is often caused by the drive not screwed in tightly causing it to vibrate whilst it's spinning, so you need to tighten the screws holding it a bit. If that doesn't work, then I gues the drive is getting old and might need replacing, since it doesn't sound healthy :p

I guess if it was a laptop, you could try enabling Silent mode to see if that helps :D

eestlinc
01-04-2004, 08:23 PM
yea, i was thinking loose screws.