PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility Problems

TheAbominatrix
01-05-2004, 06:31 AM
Okay, I got a new computer for Christmas, and it's running on Windows XP. My old computer was on ME. Well I went to install my scanner today, but it said that the hardware may not be compatible with XP.

So, does anyone know how to fix this/what I should do?

Dr Unne
01-05-2004, 07:21 AM
You say "it" said your scanner may not be compatible, what is "it"? Best bet is to go to the website of the company which made your scanner and look for updated drivers to download. Even if there are none, and the hardware wizard complains about not liking your hardware, your scanner might still work, especially if it's USB, since USB is pretty standard, and Windows XP has a semi-OK database of drivers that it comes with anyways.

TheAbominatrix
01-05-2004, 07:41 AM
"It" was the grey box that popped up when I went to install. I wasnt sure if I should go ahead and do it anyway. For now I'll look into what you suggested. Thanks, Unne.

crono_logical
01-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I'm sure you'll be able to find up to date drivers - I managed to find some for my sister's PC when I got rid of Win98, and the scanner on that computer is over 5 years old now :p

metCloud
01-05-2004, 03:25 PM
it has nothing to do with drivers probobly. im guessing you got a compaq or somthing along those lines. the thing is, windows xp is wierd when it comes motherboards and stuff. if your computer came with a windows xp disk but with the computer manufactures name on it too....you cant get rid of that box! see your new hardware will see "compaq or gateway" instead of windows xp. its the stupidest thing in the world!!!

I cant remember exactly what the grey box looks like, but i usually press cancel or install anyway and it seems to still install. I have had programs that just wouldnt install though.

TheAbominatrix
01-06-2004, 02:50 PM
It was the drivers, actually. But thank you for the advice. Especially Guu and Unne.

I went to the site for the product, downloaded drivers for XP, installed it and yay, the scanner works now. Much love to my knight in shining armor. Carry me away to the internet cafe in the clouds, Unne!

Dr Unne
01-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Stop scaring me.

TheAbominatrix
01-07-2004, 01:08 AM
Now my heart is broken, Unne. I shall fall off a balcony after singing a song about it. :(