PDA

View Full Version : Embracing the PS2 owners?

Jalbrean
01-09-2004, 01:46 AM
I visited quite a few forums over the past couple of days, and to my surprise the vast majority of PC owners had nothing but negative comments about the coming of PS2 players.

Is that how everyone here feels? I get the feeling that we're not going to get much help from the PC players when we start out. I'm not sure if it's just the "We were here first thus we're elite." attitude or just the fact they think we'll all be 9 year olds, insulting everything we see.

Egh. Assuming the name Jalbrean isn't taken. If you see me around be nice to me. It's not my fault my computer is junk, and I can't afford to spruce it up enough to play FFXI on the PC. ;p

Aerio
01-09-2004, 02:00 AM
Who cares if you play on PS2 or PC? Its all the same maybe few different things in graphics...only problem i can think is more population in zones which makes it harder to find lpace to pull to with decent amount of mobs...other than that theres more WHMs and Pallys to go around :D

Bahamut2000X
01-09-2004, 02:04 AM
I'm looking forward to a new surge of players. That means more peopel to play with.

The only thing I'm gonna dislike is that with more thousands of people playing, means that there's gonna be a select few hundred of that thousand that will just become the people that try and ruin other people's fun on the game.

Jalbrean
01-09-2004, 02:11 AM
Yeah, sadly you'll have people trying to ruin others fun no matter what online game you're playing.

I'm looking forward to the role-playing elements. I've been working on a history for my character based on the race/world descriptions i've been reading online. Not sure how many people really get into RP, but I hope some do at least.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I guess not everyone hates us. Heh.

Lockheart
01-09-2004, 04:24 AM
Im not too worried. ^^ All my friends are on a linkshell and they said they will help me. ;) All I have to do is wait till March and if some PC players dont like me because Im PS2,I could care less. *nods*

Germ Hamee
01-09-2004, 04:38 AM
Seriously, I don't think PS2 players have anything to worry about. There's not really a way to tell if you're on the console version unless you announce it, and we get newbies all the time. Everyone on my server is really nice. Don't act like an idiot, and you won't run into any problems.

The only thing I'm kind of worried about is how the rush is going to effect conquest. -_-* I know some of the japanese players were annoyed with this when the US got it... but we're gaining it back, so I guess we can do it again.

Jalbrean
01-09-2004, 05:40 AM
Good point Reyn. I'm hardly one to act like an ass online, so i'll have no problems there. :)

Lionx
01-09-2004, 06:00 AM
THere are the problem of n00bs, not newbies as in new people that join the game, but n00bs as in jerks. With new platform that will be released, i am excited that we have a larger player base we can play with. But those newbies that act like n00b jerks, they are what i aint so great at. Acting like jerks, /shouting begging for gil, begging for power lvling, and not doing their job in parties.

Now of course theres if they are learning which is fine, but those that dont listen and act like one of those retarded 13 year olds...those are the ones that i aint looking forward to, they will just give me a bigger blacklist.

Lionx
01-10-2004, 01:42 AM
Ok maybe i didnt make it look great, generalizations are evil..

I didnt mean everyone is bad at 13. Hell i know ppl around 17(my age) that are idiots if not worst. Its just general comment from me that (since its a console) there may be younger and more immature players. Not saying all are, any 13 (or any other age) year old person that is nice is fine, but the jerks that usually comes from that age group, i am NOT looking forward to playing with.

As for newbie its fine to ask, but n00b in the sense of being a jerk is what i dont want to see near me. Meaning the person can be lvl 40, but still be a n00b in that sense. Lvl 10 that is nice is much better than an arrogant person that is lvl 40.

To put it short i am NOT looking forward to jerks no matter age group or anything, but i am looking forward to good newbies that learn and that are nice people.

newbie that acts like a jerk and does the same stupid stuff...no

newbie that learns and is a nice person in general, yes ^^

I hope i made myself clear.

Aerio
01-10-2004, 02:21 AM
No im sorry :) got touchy over nothing :P and made you type a long post :| sorry again...only reason I can't stand it is in EQ the same thing went around :choc:

Lockheart
01-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Two more months.......:/ I have read all about the quests,missions and even how to put in Macros. If I read anymore,ill go nuts. ><;; So Im not going to be a n00b,Ill call myself a informed new player. :P

Ouch!
01-10-2004, 10:31 PM
I'm not worried. I'm looking forward to it, as all my friends with bad PCs will be getting the PS2 version. I've timed it so I'll be able to play with them.

As for the jerks in game, there's enough already. I've been sexually harassed even... though it was ammusing to tell him I was actually a guy playing as a female Elvaan and then sending a message to the GMs.

For the most part though, there aren't many jerk problems I've run into anyways.

And Jalbrean, I haven't seen to many people who RP, and it even annoys some people. I try to RP, but I find it hard without it getting on peoples' nerves.

Ichy
01-10-2004, 10:32 PM
PS2 players will simply add more diversity to the game. I, for one, am looking forward to the influx of more new players. I believe it will do wonders for the economy, as we all sell used gear to lower level players. That means more Gil in circulation, so long as people don't waste it all buying from NPCs ;).

As for N()()Bs... They are inevitable, and as Lionx has so eloquently put, if they don't learn from their mistakes quickly enough they will find themselves on many a blacklist. No matter, in this particular game I have noticed very few players of that nature. The odd time I do I simply move on and don't get involved. I have never had it come to a point where I've blacklisted anyone.

One thing I am a little iffy about is communication. I know you can use a USB keyboard with the game, but is it possible to play and chat without it? When I'm talking to someone they don't have to be the fastest typists, but waiting for someone to select letters one at a time with a controller is out of the question. Sorry to say I won't be teaming with anyone who can't do it fast if they have to do it at all.

How about it? Is the keyboard mandatory for PS2 players?

Lionx
01-11-2004, 08:17 AM
One thing I am a little iffy about is communication. I know you can use a USB keyboard with the game, but is it possible to play and chat without it? When I'm talking to someone they don't have to be the fastest typists, but waiting for someone to select letters one at a time with a controller is out of the question. Sorry to say I won't be teaming with anyone who can't do it fast if they have to do it at all.

Played with some beta PS2ers, they ahve to put down their controllers to talk withe their keyboard. But they play just as well as the PC if not better since its much easier for them to execute commands. ^^

That means more Gil in circulation, so long as people don't waste it all buying from NPCs .

And also the easier for me to weave low lvl stuff and gain tons of profie :p

Ichy
01-11-2004, 04:50 PM
All good if they have to put down the controller to use the keyboard, would kind of be unnatural otherwise... Having 4 hands and all...

I have no doubt that playing with the controller is just as effective as with the keyboard, I've probably teamed with enough JP players who use the controller and didn't even know it, however, the translator works only to a certain degree and there ends up being little conversation (meaning even if they were selecting letters one at a time with an analog stick it would make little noticeable difference).

I just want to know whether or not the keyboard is mandatory, that way I'll be ready for people going "tick tick tick X, tick tick X, tick tick tick tick tick X, ect." in order to form one word, and eventually a full sentence, while the rest of us wait.

Vaprice
01-11-2004, 10:05 PM
I shall get a some help from people. And plus Its going to be easy being a white mage and all because people really do need healers. yeah but I know how you feel not being able to make your computer better. I could but dont really want to.

Rostum
01-11-2004, 10:32 PM
demonsdragon: If you want a nice job combo that every single party wants try going Bard/White Mage. Although the Bard is an advanced job.

Vaprice
01-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Ahh, so would you think that would be a somewhat easy job thingy for a newb at the game???

GaV
01-11-2004, 10:44 PM
well if u wanna go brd/whm you would have to start as whm because u can only become a bard at lvl 30. WHM is not an easy job, but every party needs one so u will constantly have people asking you to join them hehe.