PDA

View Full Version : Banned from the chat rooms?!

Mehka Gallant
01-10-2004, 03:27 AM
I've been banned from the chat rooms twice... And I've not a clue why... The first time, the reason for my banning, and the reason WAS posted, was that I used ellipses too much... Those are "..." these, at the ends of my sentences. Is that really a crime? I find this reason rather childish as a person is allowed to trail off on a sentence. Like this... That kinda violates my freedom of speech right...

The second time was for claiming I would be the next ruler of the world. Which, in my point of view, is NOT impossible, rather it was just a simple statement. I offended nobody, and if I did, nobody said anything. They didn't even give me a warning that such a statement would get me banned... I still cannot log onto the chat rooms, and this is VERY disheartening.

I hate to complain too much, but I feel that the admins of the chat room were treating me unfairly. And I believe they are toying with their power as well. If any moderators wish to enlighten me where the "banning-without-warning" clause is in the register agreement, please, let me know...

Thank you for reading this... (Sorry about the ellipses... Force of habit...)

Agent Proto
01-10-2004, 04:10 AM
hmm, you might want to blame Guu's bots. They tend to kick anyone for spamming, "...", ALL CAPS, and other things. In some cases, they do tend to ban people for dumb things.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this doesn't belong in EoEO. I'll kick it where Guu can see it.

crono_logical
01-10-2004, 04:44 AM
Hi :D Yeah, no, they kick, but don't ban, on certain text triggers :} Even then, the tolerance is pretty high, you have to do like 4 ellipses in one single line at least to trigger it, which to be honest, really is excessive if it's all on one line :p But they don't ban in any case.

Dunno about the other kick though, my bots aren't intelligent enough to kick people claiming to want to rule the world :p

EDIT: Logs says Shuten banned you almost 7 days ago, not me. Shame he's nothing to do with EoFF. And yes, you'll find the ops/admins on this server that have nothing to do with EoFF can be ban happy when people start acting stupid :p Once again, shows that chat and the forums aren't as related as you'd like to think, especially in terms of the way things are run :p

Peegee
01-10-2004, 05:26 AM
I've been banned from the chat server so often I just don't care. What typically happens is that out of the blue somebody like strider or ashmug will go 'PG get yer ass to chat' and I'll go 'wtf I was banned a day ago wow!'

And I could join again. So there.

crono_logical
01-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I clean up some of the sillier bans if no-one else does every now and then, so don't think of a ban in chat as a permanent one (except in a rare few cases) :p

Mehka Gallant
01-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it... I never realized that the chats weren't as close to the forums. I was just cusious as to WHY I was banned. Well, I don't really talk to anyone much anyway. It's always silent as the grave in there, probably because of Private Messages. Thanks for the info though, I guess I'll stick to the forums for now, where my antics are appreciated. :)

P.S. Sorry about putting the topic in the wrong place, I probably should've looked harder... :eep:

Lasher
01-16-2004, 01:07 AM
Sorry to hear you got banned, that's pretty sad when it happens. Sad that people have to be banned to get them to stop whatever it is they are doing, to get a point across to them. And sad in the cases where it might have not be neccessary. So sorry to hear about that.

I'm an Op in another chat, NOT Eoff chat, and i personally can be a little bitchy about some things. Like the CAPS for one, lol. Some people tend to throw up a big argument over it, when there's no real reason. I myself use caps, but i tend to even them out with lower cases. If you have to put your message all in caps to get someones attention, then that should tell you something if you ask me :mad:

And as for the ellipses, well, they don't bother me much, i tend to use them to. But if i see people using them like this ".............." then i tend to give a warning, cause that's just stupid then, but three are four don't seem to bad i guess. I don't know how the guys at Eoff are with kicking and banning, i haven't been around in a long time, let alone in chat except for this past week on and off.

But i know that if people do stupid stuff, and ignore the warnings, then they will get kicked, and banned in neccessary where i'm an Op at.

Don't feel to bad though, at least Eoff is nice nad peaceful. We got so many dumbasses where i'm at, it's insane. I hate banning people but i do it to often because for some reason, the idiots like showing up in that damn chat. I think thats why i like Eoff so much, and whenever i do see a kick, i tend to agree with it in some way, lol.

Then again, maybe i am a hardass just liek the bots and or Ops here, i don't know. But hey, mistakes are made. *shrugs*

Bye Mehka.

Loony BoB
01-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Unless you go into the chatroom and start spamming up the room (for example, constantly trying to throw everyone off the topic they're on, advertising other places, flaming/insulting people, typing nothing but one word over and over, etc), then you should have been warned before you were banned. Someone should really talk to shuten, though... or if not him, Zephy. FFChat ops are meant to be respectful, no matter how powerhungry they are. They should never ban without a valid reason, as in #eoff, they are representing Eyes on Final Fantasy. I think I talked to Zephy (it was someone, I think it was him...) about this a long time ago and he agrees.

EDIT: Of course, if you were banned from another room in FFChat, such as the chatroom for FFOnline or FFLegend, then you've probably dug your own grave. All of these chatrooms are on the same server, and the server ops (FFChat staff such as shuten) can give server-wide bans if you disobey the rules enough.