PDA

View Full Version : [A] Snow Fairy

Leeza
01-11-2004, 06:15 PM
This is some folkart stuff that I do once in a while and it's painted on wood with acrylic paints. Yes I know it's a freaky looking snowman. :)

Xander
01-11-2004, 06:24 PM
I think that's really pretty Leeza! Gets me feeling all Christmassy again ^_^

The snowman doesn't look freaky he looks cute. I like the colours of him. It's a really nice scene :)

Kami
01-11-2004, 10:42 PM
The colors are smooth and nice. Looks liek something you would see from a children's book. Say, have you ever thought of illustrating for children's books? You'd probably do well at it.

eestlinc
01-12-2004, 12:57 AM
you must have cropped out the disembodied heads from the picture.

Leeza
01-12-2004, 02:07 AM
Thank you, Xander. :)

Kami: That isn't my design. I usually only paint what I see and that was in a book by some lady whose name I don't remember. Folkart stuff is usually quite simple to paint though, but in order to paint illustrations for a children's book, someone would have to write one first. :)

eestlinc: It's impossible to try to get anything past you. :)

Jack
01-12-2004, 09:07 PM
I wrote a childs story once, until i realised it copyrighted on the TV show "SuperTed" and I felt it was wrong to sell it....but my friedns drew the scenes for that and it was beautiful,it won best child story taht year at my primaty school. I was 10......

Leeza, it is a beautiful picture. It is happy, and brings a form of Christmas feeling to my cold heart. It would look good in a children story...I can see it now

"The Snow fairy"
by J K Rowling
Illustrated by Leeza.

(Well, J K's gonna need something to do afyter Harry Potter's packed up and ended :D )

The snowman is cute

Dr Unne
01-12-2004, 10:01 PM
It looks like you really laid the paint on thick. There's a name for that technique, but I forget it. (EDIT: No I don't. Impasto. Thanks dictionary.com.) It looks really nice.

Ultima Seraph
01-13-2004, 04:35 AM
I don't think it's freaky looking! The snowman's cute! Looks like something my mom would adore! (She loves snowmen stuff ^^)

I don't think it looks very impasto at all... I can see the wood grain through the paint. (Which isn't bad, it's actually quite nice! It gives it a nice texture... a homey type feel).

Very nicely done! And hey... if you can do this stuff, then children books wouldn't be a problem. ^^

I loves it!

black orb
01-13-2004, 06:32 AM
>>> Nice picture, you have some skill using the acrylic..

Leeza
01-13-2004, 06:30 PM
Not a bad idea, Legalos. I wonder if JK would be interested. :)

Dr Unne, isn't Impasto something like what Bob Ross used to do with his knife when he painted his mountains? I think that it's mostly just the woodgrain that you see in mine, although I do have a finish that could be used to make something look like it has brushstrokes. I don't remember if I used it on this, but I must have because I see some weird strokes where there is no reason for them to be. It's does take many layers of paint to get the right colour effects though and the trees are definitely textured because they're quite layered.

Thank you, Ultima Seraph. Yeah the idea is to get that homey type of look to it. Most of my tole painting is like that. This piece is totally covered in paint, but I like to have the actual natural wood show on a lot of my work as well. I love the colour of natural wood.

Thank you, black orb. I wish I had just a little bit of your CG skills though. :)

Dr Unne
01-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Impasto is applying paint thick enough that you can see the brush strokes, giving it a 3D sort of look like the paint is sticking up off the page a bit. So far as I know, anyways. Been over a year since I had art history class, I'm probably forgetting. The trees are what I was looking at, yeah.

Rayne
01-14-2004, 04:08 AM
<3 That painting made me feel all Christmassy and warm-fussy feelings again. ;3

eternalshiva
01-15-2004, 01:24 AM
omg Leeza that's super cute xD