PDA

View Full Version : To N00b or not to N00b

Flying Mullet
01-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Just for discussion's sake, if a person leave EoFF for, say a year and their account is deleted, when they come back, and say, "Hey, what's up, I rule, yada yada...", is it considered an "I'm back" thread, or a "Hey, I'm new again!" thread. And what about if they use a new user name and want to reintroduce themselves?

Discuss. :choc:

eternalshiva
01-13-2004, 05:16 PM
I consider them re-n00bed. They MAY have been around before but they got deleted, thus registering again = n00b. unless they admitted to being an oldbie, no one would REALLY know :/ Unless you had super magic powers.

Why not reintroduce yourself? If they've been gone for so long that they got their account deleted why not?

Leeza
01-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Well considering that I just closed Thunder God Cid's <i>I've Reregistered and have Come Back</i> thread, I would have to say that I consider it an I'm Back thread and I close it.

If you just change your name, your old name should be in the Formerly field in your profile and anyone who cares can check it.

EDIT: <i>Why not reintroduce yourself? If they've been gone for so long that they got their account deleted why not?</i> - eternalshive

We would be inundated with reintroduction threads, etc. If you were here before, then you're not a newbie. If you get deleted then come back as a new person and don't inform anyone that you've been deleted for inactivity or whatever, then you might be able to pull off a Newbie thread.

Dr Unne
01-13-2004, 06:43 PM
Do you delete accounts of people who've actually posted, now? We used to only delete accounts of people who never posted at all.

Shlup
01-13-2004, 08:03 PM
When old threads are pruned people's old posts are pruned so they're post count may go down to 0, so if they're post count is 0 and they haven't logged in in a year they get deleted.

And if the "re-n00b" doesn't say they're re-n00bing themselves I wouldn't close it, but if they're saying "I'm back" then that would make it such a thread.

crono_logical
01-13-2004, 08:47 PM
The post count would only go down to zero for such people if you update the post counters for the whole forum after such a prune though.

eternalshiva
01-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Leeza
Well considering that I just closed Thunder God Cid's <i>I've Reregistered and have Come Back</i> thread, I would have to say that I consider it an I'm Back thread and I close it.

If you just change your name, your old name should be in the Formerly field in your profile and anyone who cares can check it.

EDIT: <i>Why not reintroduce yourself? If they've been gone for so long that they got their account deleted why not?</i> - eternalshive

We would be inundated with reintroduction threads, etc. If you were here before, then you're not a newbie. If you get deleted then come back as a new person and don't inform anyone that you've been deleted for inactivity or whatever, then you might be able to pull off a Newbie thread.

Well it was just a thought and who is this etermalSHIVE? xD *huggles* and Iactually agree with you, that reintroduction threads are a little useless :/ now that I have thought about it for over 4 hours, and I did say that although you are an oldie, creating a newbie thread, should keep your mouth shut xD well I used different words, I just can see them in Edit mode xD :love:

Rainecloud
01-13-2004, 10:12 PM
I guess it's possible for returning newbies to slip through the net, so to speak, by creating an "I'm New" thread without any hint of being a returning member.

Or maybe not.

Yamaneko
01-14-2004, 01:27 AM
They don't rule.

Peegee
01-14-2004, 04:20 AM
I might be gone for a month or so, but over a year? Impossible. I however like the idea of coming back, pretending to be a newb, and suddenly exploding in an orgy of "omfgaslwtfsarspikachu4presidentsexpie!!!!"

Then people would be like "what's wrong with you?" since by then all the oldbies would have moved on :(

eestlinc
01-14-2004, 04:52 AM
rsl would be here to uncover your ruse

Peegee
01-17-2004, 09:22 PM
So in other words russel has no life?

Loony BoB
01-17-2004, 09:33 PM
I think Unne has been Mr. Consistency when it comes to active posting.

And nah. You can't be a newbie at the same forums twice, that's cheating. Of course, there are always people like me, the Eternal Newbie. ;D

Yoshix
01-18-2004, 03:19 AM
Well, why anyone should be considered a noob (other than if they act really retarded or not) is like why anyone should be considered 2 years old or not, they grow out of it, so why should this silly predjudice remain?

Peegee
01-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Eternal Newbie is a registered trademark of somebody I know called that, but I can't recall who, so who cares

Loony BoB
01-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Eternal Newbie is my trademark in EoFF.