PDA

View Full Version : TERRANIGMA!!!!

Stayin Dizzy
01-15-2004, 07:45 PM
How many of you have played this masterpiece?? About 6 or so months ago I began the quest of beating all Square-Enix RPG's...or at least the good ones/ones that most agree dont suck too bad (Currently beat FF 1,3,4,6,7,8 and halfway thorugh 5 and 9, and Terranigma. Also have beat Illusion of Gaia and a couple others I cant name off the top of my head. But anyways, Terranigma is the sequal to Illusion of Gaia (which I played about a month ago and it Rocked!!) I of G is the Sequal to Soul Blazer (Have but yet to beat). Now this game is so sweet I can't even begin to explain.

The story begins as Ark, resident of Crysta, discovers a magical "Pandora's Box" containing a floating pink blob named Yomi. At first their goal was to save the villagers of Crysta, but it appears as though they have a much larger task at hand. Ark must awaken the sleeping world above and resurrect life on the planet's surface.

The game can seem really long and sometimes pisses you off because you cant solve something, but then when you do it turns out to be something really simplistic. Itrs broken into 3 Chapters and for those that Have played I've just started Chapter 3.

So enough of me talking about it, who of you have played it and what were your thoughts?

ZellMog
01-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Sweet game, but I never beat it. I don't think I even got past the first chapter.

Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia on the otherhand are games I've beaten multiple times. I love them both.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-15-2004, 08:41 PM
I haven't finished it yet, but yeah, great game. I definitely prefer Illusion of Gaia, but the plot of both games is incredible.

TheAbominatrix
01-15-2004, 09:09 PM
I couldnt get very far, due to buggy ROMs being the only versions I can find. I liked what I played, though, and being a fan of Illusion of Gaia I'd love to play more.

crono_logical
01-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Good game overall, although the strategy I used to do some of the bosses, especially the last one, seemed rather repetitive to me.

As for Illusion of Gaia, I couldn't get into that one, just seemed too boring or slow or something to me.

Divina
01-16-2004, 01:07 AM
It's a good game. I found it fun. I hate leveling in that game, though. -_-

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-16-2004, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Guu
Good game overall, although the strategy I used to do some of the bosses, especially the last one, seemed rather repetitive to me.Yeah, Ark can pull off like a dozen moves, but one of them is so good that it generally negates the usefulness of the rest. It's never bothered me, though.

Kossage
01-18-2004, 10:40 AM
*Contains unmarked spoilers*

Terranigma is a really great game. I finished it about two months ago and I have to say that it made me a Terranigma fan. Everything was well done in that game although it isn't one of the most in-depth RPG's that I've played.

I really like the idea about letting town develop into cities and so that you can affect their growth. I felt great when I finally managed to expand all the towns into prosperous cities. There are so many things to do in the world map, too, and it's great that they use the real world map representing Earth and then the twisted-like world map representing the Underworld. There are so many things to do in the surface world and it's funny to find all those secret places to get Magirocks.

I also like the real-time battle system very much. It's great to try to avoid enemies as soon as one can and many of the bossess are challenging (like that bloody hard Bloody Mary).

The graphics are nice. I really liked the area in Amazon where the Ra tree is after Ark revives it (can't remember the area's name right now). I liked Norfest Forest as well as the architechture of some castles and buildings. There are also funny minigames like eating food and racing in a maze.

The music of Terranigma is very beautiful as well. I liked many of the songs but especially two melodies play in my head. Those are the song that is played during the final boss fight and the another one when you wander around Crysta for the last time before the game ends. Those two were very fine songs indeed.

I would rant about how great this game is longer but I just would repeat myself. The story is somehow tragic and I really felt sorry for Ark. The poor guy had too many misfortunes in his life. Anyway, Terranigma is a great RPG that everyone should play. When I first played it, I thought it was just an average RPG but when I got into it I really started to like the game. I recommend this game for anyone who wishes to play a wonderful RPG. :)

SpikingZero
01-19-2004, 02:04 AM
I corked around with Terranigma on a ROM, but I seriously don't ever recall its release for the SNES. For Illusion of Gaia, however, it was one of the first RPGs I have ever played, and I hold it in a very close place in my heart. Same with Secret of Mana. I love that game.

Lord Chainsaw
01-19-2004, 04:55 AM
I've yet to play it, but I will soon.

I love Soulblazer and Gaia.

I spent the longest time on the vampires in Gaia and I just couldn't seem to beat them. Finally one day I did, and weeks after that I learned there was a dark space near their cave. Boy was I pissed when I found out you could be Freidan.

Gaia had some great scenes. The Native's village was very sad and I'll never forget the raft scene as long as I live. The dungeons were amazing, taking from actual places you learn about in history class. Incan Ruins, Ankgor Wat, Nazca, they're all there.

One thing I never got though. Was the "Sky Garden" supposed to be a reference to the Hanging Gardens of ancient Babylon?

I'm gonna download Terranigma as soon as I get done with Grandia Xtreme and Dragon Warrior 4. I'm currently level 80 in Grandia, and as soon as I whoop level 200 Zenothlee you can bet I'll give this game a go.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-20-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by SpikingZero
I corked around with Terranigma on a ROM, but I seriously don't ever recall its release for the SNES.For some reason, it was only ever released in Japan and Australia. Or Europe, depending on whom you ask.
Originally posted by Lord Chainsaw
One thing I never got though. Was the "Sky Garden" supposed to be a reference to the Hanging Gardens of ancient Babylon? Yes. Good eye.

aeris2001x2
06-02-2004, 05:37 AM
yet another square game the uk will never see *sobs*