PDA

View Full Version : Static IP question

Flying Mullet
01-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Is there a way to assign a static IP address to one of my computers from my router? Right now all of my comptuers are getting their IP addresses dynamically from the router (192.168.100, 192.168.101, etc...). But this is getting to be a pain for my linux box that I am using as a web server, because everytime I restart my router or my router decides to reassign IP addresses, I have to hop on my linux box to findout what it's IP address is again so I can set up the forwarding on my router to go to it's new IP address.

So I'm wondering if there's a way to assign a static IP address to my linux box, either with the router or with the linux box, so that I don't have to keep tabs on my box and router to see if they are still talking correctly?

Dr Unne
01-16-2004, 06:34 PM
What kind of router do you have? Right now your router is using DHCP, you need to disable it. How to do that varies depending on what kind of router you have. My Linksys has a web control panel of sorts where all the settings are managed.

Flying Mullet
01-16-2004, 06:37 PM
My Linksys has a control panel as well. I thought about doing that, but I wanted to keep the other computers on DHCP.

My other problem is that if I do switch off the DCHP and assign IP addresses to my laptop, it'll be messed up when I get to work. Any ideas?

Dr Unne
01-16-2004, 06:55 PM
From what I Googled, you can use DHCP for some PCs and static IPs for others. Linksys assigns IPs with DHCP only in a certain range, 100-250 or something. Try requesting a static IP on your PCs that you want static between 2 and 99, like 192.168.1.5 or something. If you search Google Groups for "linksys dhcp static" you'll get a ton of results about this.

Endless
01-16-2004, 07:03 PM
From the Linksys Etherfast user guide:
"1. I need to set a static IP address on a PC.
The Router, by default, assigns an IP address range of 192.168.1.100 to
192.168.1.150 using the DHCP server on the Router. To set a static IP address, you
can only use the ranges 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99 and 192.168.1.151 to
192.168.1.254. Each PC or network device that uses TCP/IP must have a unique
address to identify itself in a network. If the IP address is not unique to a network,
Windows will generate an IP conflict error message."

That way you have DHCP available (it will assign IPs from the pool), and you can set a machine to use it's own static IP out of that pool.

(On a sidenote: my SMC router has an option to assign from the DHCP server a static IP to a given MAC address.)

Dr Unne
01-16-2004, 07:06 PM
<i>(On a sidenote: my SMC router has an option to assign from the DHCP server a static IP to a given MAC address.)</i> --Master Vivi

That would be really nice. My Linksys doesn't have that.