PDA

View Full Version : MSn Messenger

blue_midget192
01-16-2004, 05:24 PM
people with msn messenger, help.

if somone sends u a background over messenger, where is it sent to and stored on ur computer? i have windows XP, and its not in my recived files. help

crono_logical
01-16-2004, 06:21 PM
C:\Documents and Settings\<your username/account>\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\

Assuming you left the Documents and Settings on C:

They appear to be all .tmp files on my machine, but you can rename them to .bmp to look at them. Or use Create new background... in MSN to see/remove them.

blue_midget192
01-16-2004, 06:34 PM
found it, eventually, but the file changing thing wont work :(

Peegee
01-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Could be because you have msn opened and certain files are being used, hence not allowing you to rename (or windows is being stupid like those thousands of times I can't rename various unused and rarely used media files). Anyway just 'copy' those files and rename it.

crono_logical
01-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Doubt it, I renamed and looked at those files with MSN open. They're not actually bitmaps anyway, but whatever they were, the image viewer in WinXP could read them for me, I just renamed it so said program would try to open them. Perhaps he doesn't have WinXP so can't read that file format in whatever image editors he has.

blue_midget192
01-18-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by blue_midget192
i have windows XP

so thats a yes then. i tried to change the 'open with' to default to summat like Paint, but there DAT files and then all the DAT files on my computer will be opened by paint which i dont realy wont :S

crono_logical
01-18-2004, 11:36 PM
I renamed them and opened them in Image Viewer (or right click, Preview) - I don't think they're BMP files since the header is wrong in the file, I just renamed to force a certain program to open them :p

blue_midget192
01-19-2004, 07:02 PM
a, well i decided to open them into paint and then "save as" into my pictures as a JPEG :D