PDA

View Full Version : Minor annoyances.

Yamaneko
01-17-2004, 02:43 AM
1. Whenever I reorder my links in the quick launch bar and I logoff or restart the system, they move back to a static position, which is always the same. Any ideas on how to keep the links in the quick launch in the order I want them? I've never had this trouble before.

2. I like the old "My Computer", "My Network Places", and "Recycle Bin" icons from Windows 98 more than the stylish XP ones. I've been happy with them, but now they revert back to the default XP icons whenever I restart my computer. It could be a problem related to number one, but this one began more recently than the quick launch one (a couple months after). Any help?

3. Finally, is there any way to tell XP exactly what programs you want to startup when you bootup? It seems I have to go into msconfig way too often to disable some programs from starting up when Windows does. Programs like qtask (the Quicktime management application) put themselves back into the startup list even though I've specified that I do not want them to startup with the rest of the OS.

Help on all or some of these problems is greatly appreciated. These minor annoyances do tend to build up and frustrate the hell out of me.

crono_logical
01-17-2004, 04:36 AM
Not sure about the first 2 :p Might be your C: is full, XP likes to start resetting everything to default if that drive gets full and it can't save your user settings.

As for the QuickTime thing, you might need to go into it's settings, it might have something in there that's telling it to start automatically, which is what's resetting the start-up thing. Alternatively, uninstall QuickTime since it's evil :p

Yamaneko
01-17-2004, 04:45 AM
It's not full. I still have about 23gb left on it.

It's not just Quicktime either. The Java Web Start app sometimes appears and I make sure to check in all programs I install to uncheck the "open on Windows startup" option.

Urgh... It might be time for a reformat.

Dr Unne
01-17-2004, 07:48 AM
For the first two, I have no idea why things would be doing that. Maybe try making a new account and see if the same thing happens in that account. If the different account works the way you want, copy all your junk to that account's folders and delete the old one.

For the QT thing, God only knows. This is why I don't use Windows.

Peegee
01-17-2004, 09:58 AM
Maybe I misunderstood the question, but it seems like the lot of you have forgotten that windows has a 'startup' folder that loads anything you want when windows boots up.

crono_logical
01-17-2004, 03:13 PM
I know about that folder, but I'm also pretty sure everything in there shows up in MSConfig along with all the stuff that starts up due to registry keys, so there shouldn't be any need to check that folder seperately.

Yamaneko
01-17-2004, 06:46 PM
Unne: Yeah, I'll do that. My brothers account isn't moving things. My account is probably not saving things correctly when I logoff.