PDA

View Full Version : Urge to hit somebody rising

Erdrick Holmes
01-17-2004, 04:24 PM
http://www.smallcave.net/rock/up/goaway.JPG

crono_logical
01-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Opera? Then there's the usual legal and not so legal methods :p I've personally blocked the ad server in much the same way I block normal ad servers though, so I just see a static placeholder instead, which is a Buy Opera 5.12 Now image, which is far less annoying. If that's really Firebird though (whih I don't want to believe it is, honest :p ), then I'll have to say What the heck is it doing with ads when it's opensource? If that's the case, I'm not getting it and will stick to Mozilla :p

Erdrick Holmes
01-17-2004, 05:30 PM
That banner is not integrated in the browser at all so Opera won't help.

Peegee
01-17-2004, 09:19 PM
You're using a free ISP (Juno), so you have to tolerate that annoying banner. However can you *minimize* it so that it appears at the bottom in the form of a giant rectangular window below your regular windows?

Then you just edit your hosts file so that it blocks the ads. Yay!

Erdrick Holmes
01-17-2004, 11:22 PM
Nope minimizing it will just discconect me.

crono_logical
01-17-2004, 11:36 PM
In that case, set up another user account solely for connecting to the internet, connect so the ad appears in that account, then switch back to your normal one :p

Peegee
01-18-2004, 06:06 AM
Will that work? You can do processes on multiple XP accounts? Teach!

Rainecloud
01-18-2004, 09:07 AM
Joel, you have to understand, free things contain annoyances like this one.

;)

Agent Proto
01-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs

crono_logical
01-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Pureghetto
Will that work? You can do processes on multiple XP accounts? Teach! Yes, just make sure you have Fast User Switching enabled in the User control panel applet (if you log on via the blue screen thingy instead of a Win2K type dialog box, then you know it's enabled). Then make a second account, then you can use Winkey+L (or Logoff > Switch User in the Start Menu) to switch between them. With XP Powertoys installed, I think you can switch even faster between them using Winkey+Q, but I can't remember since I don't have that installed on my PC :p

You're effectively creating seperate desktops, except unlike normal virtual desktops, you can't move windows between them nor share data (e.g. clipboard) between windows in different accounts.

Peegee
01-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Yay! Downloading/torrent uploading and/or media file conversion/encoding processes will now happily take up their own uninterrupted areas. I just need to remember not to reboot randomly, which I don't!

^_^