PDA

View Full Version : Chupon?

Ayla
01-17-2004, 10:53 PM
If you look well, Typoon(spelling?) is Chupon from ff6!!
Why it (Square Enix) do that??

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-17-2004, 11:13 PM
They must be OUT OF THEIR MINDS ON SPEED

ForeverZeroUltima
01-18-2004, 12:36 AM
*sends everyone his own copy of FFVI*
in my copy of FFVI he's called Typhon anyway....

Ayla
01-18-2004, 02:22 PM
But what's the real name?Chupon or Typhoon?:mog:

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/snes/ff6/pictures/Image780.gif

BG-57
01-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Both are. :greenie:

Since the Japanese language has very different ways of writing and pronouncing sounds, the English translators had make their best guess as to how to write the Japanese names in English.

It's a classic case of the left hand (the translators) not knowing what the right hand (the Japanese game designers) is doing. Mind you, I'm not blaming this on the translators. They're just doing their job. The problem is nobody bothers to tell the translators where the designers got their names from.

DJZen
01-18-2004, 09:36 PM
IT'S ALL WOOLSEY'S FAULT!! BLAME EVERYTHING THAT EVER HAPPENED ON HIM!! :D

Just kidding. I actually wanted to ask how Typhoon and Chupon would be the same word in Japanese. My knowledge of the language is pretty rudamentary, I've never taken a class in it or anything, but the only alternate translations for Typhoon I can come up with are Taihuun or Chaefun or something in that direction. What was the original (transliterated to English) spelling of his name?

Ayla
01-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Yes! Is It!!Chaefun looks like Chupon!!!!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-20-2004, 12:45 AM
The correct names of Chupon and Ultros are Typhon and Orthros. They're monsters from Greek mythology, in which Orthros is the offspring of Typhon.

EveningCross
01-22-2004, 04:04 AM
Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi : The correct names of Chupon and Ultros are Typhon and Orthros. They're monsters from Greek mythology, in which Orthros is the offspring of Typhon.

Euugggh. Ugly kid.