PDA

View Full Version : Microwaves and Computers

ButThePoncho
01-20-2004, 09:59 PM
I’ve been curious about this for awhile…

Can having a microwave and a computer in the same small room affect or harm the computer in any way?

Flying Mullet
01-20-2004, 10:02 PM
I know that it can affect the transmission quality of wireless routers, so I don't see why it couldn't mess with the communucation quality of your computer, although I imagine that any problems to your computer would be miniscule.

Dr Unne
01-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Devices that emit strong electronic fields can also interfere with speakers, subwoofers, wireless mice / keyboards / whatever. As far as a microwave in the same room as a computer, I doubt that'd harm anything. I had a microwave in a very tiny room with two computers for a while year and I never noticed anything bad happening. On the other hand if all of your computer components are sitting on top of your microwave while you run it, that probably isn't a good thing.

Peegee
01-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Microwaves do need to pass FCC regulations in order to be sold(sellable), so I don't think Microwaves can really damage anything (in theory)

Killy
01-21-2004, 02:00 AM
I know microwaves can drain batteries in a few seconds if you emit microwaves at it (I have seen it done on TV, accidently). However, I dont think it can do any harm to a computer, since you wont be placing you computer inside your microwave.

Rainecloud
01-21-2004, 07:33 AM
Just don't eat anything you've warmed up in the microwave until at least one minute after the microwave has finished doing it's job, or else the food will burn holes in your stomach and whatnot.

I know it's not related to the thread, but I deemed it important enough to mention.

Flying Mullet
01-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Does it eat holes in your stomach because of the microwaves that are in the food or because the food is frikin' hot?

Endless
01-21-2004, 06:22 PM
The latter I suppose (*), although I don't think that one is even completely true. (Like if you heat something for 5 seconds, you fon't even feel the heat).

(*): Microwaves don't "stay" in food, they just go through and agitates the water molecules, and as soon as you stop emiting them, they're gone. Just like light, in a way.