PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard won't power up

Peegee
01-20-2004, 11:53 PM
I'm missing ram (DDR no have), but that's not the problem; my computer won't turn on (!!)

I bought a(n) <a href="http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4s800/overview.htm#">Asus P4S800</a> today, and I installed everything the way I usually do. The difference is that the Asus P4S800 requires both the 20 pin and the 4 pin power connectors, which I have connected. The nice green 'yay' light is active, but when I plug the 4 power/reboot/hdd led/etc cables in (the blue/red/orange/green ones), it doesn't turn on.

Checking the manual, it seems to tell me to plug them into this 20 pin area. See for yourself <a href="http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4s800/e1298_p4s800.pdf">here</a> (pages 31 and 32 if I'm not mistaken)

Thanks for helping in advance

Endless
01-21-2004, 06:33 PM
I would expect the computer to not turn on without ram, but let's say it can.

Check the panel components one by one, that way you'll see if plugging them changes anything (even though it should work without any of them plugged).

Try with ram, check that the fan is properly plugged, etc...

Peegee
01-21-2004, 10:33 PM
I need to know how the
4 power/reboot/hdd led/etc cables in (the blue/red/orange/green ones) needs to be connected. Everything else is connected properly. The guy at the store told me to check the cmos jumpers. Seems to be fine as well. *confused*

Endless
01-21-2004, 10:47 PM
It's printed on page 32 of your manual. O-o
I mean, there's nothing special about it, you take the cables that come from your case (the hd led for example), read what is written on it, and plug it on the appropriate pins with the text facing out (*) (facing up on the upper row, facing down on the bottom row). All of them only have two wires (one black, one red), and what they are is written on them. I fail to see what the problem is.

(*) that's how I do, because I usually can't tell which is the + ,which is the - , and which is the ground.

Peegee
01-21-2004, 11:12 PM
I don't see what the problem is either, because I've been plugging them into those spots over and over since yesterday with no success.

Doomgaze
01-21-2004, 11:42 PM
It won't power on without ram, I don't think.

Peegee
01-21-2004, 11:57 PM
I rammed it up. It still won't power up