PDA

View Full Version : XMS memory problems?

Ariel
01-21-2004, 10:12 PM
There's an old game I've been trying to run on my computer, Malcolm's Revenge. It's been refusing to run because there isn't enough extended memory. The boot disk instructions didn't make a whole lot of sense, and refused to work when I used it.

So... would any of you guys know a way of fixing this? I'm not sure how to check the available XMS on this computer, but I think it should have enough. Thanks in advance. =)

Dr Unne
01-21-2004, 10:20 PM
It's a DOS game, yes? Hard to remember how to mess with all that memory management, it's been a while. Are you running real DOS, or a DOS prompt in Windows? If it's Windows, I have no idea. If it's real DOS, you need to mess with config.sys and autoexec.bat. You have probably have too many TSRs running. Probably need to enable access to high memory so your TSRs don't waste the memory your game needs. Probably need to run emm386 or whatever it's called. Sound confusing? It is. If you're running DOS, the newer versions came with a program called memmaker or something that would do all that configurig for you too.

Ariel
01-21-2004, 10:32 PM
*nods* Confusing it is. =P I've tried running it from Windows and DOS, and it still gets the same result. EMM386 says that the expanded memory isn't available, and the autoexec.bat and config.sys files kept coming up as corrupted, when I tried rebooting with them instead. The version of DOS I'm using is a couple of years old, so I have no idea if that program came with it or not.