PDA

View Full Version : One Monitor, two computers. Possible?

Peegee
01-22-2004, 05:40 PM
Well not simultaneously of course, but you know how there's the ability to have multiple input peripherals through the same...serial port? Is it possible to have multiple output (monitor specifically) into one output? I'm imagining a device where I just turn the knob and it flips between two computers' visual outputs. If such a thing existed it would make my life 0.00000002% (approx) more easier. As for my computer time, it would improve my productivity quite a bit, because every time I remove my monitor plug I risk hanging my machine :(

crono_logical
01-22-2004, 07:09 PM
I've seen such devices, they had one at a conference I was at once, where you had 2 laptops plugged into a projector via normal monitor ports, and just turned the switch to change which laptop was displaying on the projector. No idea what the thing is called :D Try looking in computer magazines on the ad pages, they tend to have more exotic equipment there.

Or get a 22" monitor from Mitsubishi that has two inputs, and use the OSD on the monitor itself to switch between inputs :p

Also, I don't see why a machine should hang if you unplug the monitor cable, the video card must be pretty ancient or something if it does that :p

Peegee
01-22-2004, 10:31 PM
I also unplug the mouse and keyboard, but I don't think that does anything. I'm also at a loss as to why this happens, because my older computer doesn't hang. I have a Radeon 7500, which while older, is not ancient.

So long as the device in theory exists, I will find it. Now to find the approx price :p

thanks

Dr Unne
01-22-2004, 11:07 PM
I think unplugging a PS/2 mouse and/or plugging it back in will freeze a computer, yeah. Or at least the mouse won't be recognized. I think a PS/2 mouse has to be present at boot time in order for it to work. But don't quote me on that.

Peegee
01-23-2004, 12:55 AM
I think that's all true (keyboard definitely needs to be present at bootup), except that I have this computer right here *pats* that can run days on end without anything plugged in except a CAT-5 and power.

So I r confused

Doomgaze
01-23-2004, 06:10 AM
It's called a KVM (Keyboard-Video-Mouse) Switch. <a href = "http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=56&pcount=&Product_Id=134809#">Belkin</a> has one for $59.99. That's jus tthe first one I found, I don't know if that's the typical price.

crono_logical
01-23-2004, 07:00 AM
Unplugging the PS/2 mouse then plugging it back in used to freeze my PC when I had Win98 installed, but not after upgrading to WinXP - in WinXP, it seems to randomly allow the mouse to work again, or not recognise it until the next reboot, but never freeze. I've not tried booting WinXP without a mouse then plugging it in afterwards though.

metCloud
01-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Here is one for $49.99 (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/62f2/) :D
But I would go with the Belkin....Looks more solid.

Shoeberto
01-27-2004, 05:31 PM
<font color="#009999">
I remember seeing them in a Tiger Direct magazine a long time ago.

I wasn't able to find any on the website, but I'm sure if you ordered a magazine (which is free) you'd be able to find one.

ZeZipster
01-27-2004, 08:49 PM
My step-dad uses a device to switch between a Win 2/k server and a Win 95 machine, it has a little knob that point towards A or B. It's a lot cheaper than an extra monitor.