PDA

View Full Version : Random clock question

Flying Mullet
01-22-2004, 11:04 PM
How is the time determined for what birthdays and the like are shown to me (i.e how is midnight determined?)? Is it my local time, the server's time, or Greenwich Median Time (or whatever it's called) or some other random time?

RSL
01-23-2004, 12:08 AM
You mean on these forums? It's by your set time, I think.

Dr Unne
01-23-2004, 02:56 AM
By your time when you're logged in, by server local time when you're logged out, so far as I know.

crono_logical
01-23-2004, 07:04 AM
I see local time when I'm logged out, and I'm in a different timezone to the server D:

Peegee
01-23-2004, 08:34 AM
That's odd, because I see some sort of european time (like 6 hours ahead) when I log off, and I'm EST

Flying Mullet
01-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Sorry, let me rephrase. When it shows who's birthday it is on the forum main screen, is the time/date determined by my location/settings, the server's clock, that user's clock, etc...

Just wondering if people 7 hours ahead of me see that it is someone's birthday 7 hours before me (as their midnight is 7 hours before mine), or if the birthdays roll to the next day all at once for all users.

eternalshiva
01-23-2004, 02:43 PM
In other words:

If FM is 5 hours a head of me, will he see the *new* birthdays before I do? Like will he have a new set of names while I can still see the old ones.

Are the B-days set up on the general clock OR on the personal setting one?

*nods* I was wondering the same thing actually.

Flying Mullet
01-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Yeah, that's it!

Thanks for for interpreting. Mulletese can be confusing at times, even to a native speaker. ;)

eternalshiva
01-23-2004, 02:53 PM
its all good, I'm fluent in Alissonese and seems to be very similar to your own Mulletese xD If not the same ;p

crono_logical
01-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Right, if you change yor timezone, then yes, you'll see a different list of birthdays. Whether the server does something weird by taking into account the birthday person's timezone as well as your own or not I don't know, and I can't be bothered to test to check it out right now since it's hardly important :p

PG: What the heck is EST/PST/PMT/garbage timezone? People should only talk in terms of an offset from GMT/UTC on the internet to be understood :D Well, if you tell me, I'll know whether the server uses a default timezone when you're not logged in or it's taking a good guess at what timezone it should be using for you.

eestlinc
01-26-2004, 07:30 AM
e=eastern, which includes cities like New York, Toronto, Atlanta, Detroit, Miami, places in South America too I'm sure but not sure which.

p=pacific, basically California

st=standard time, ie not daylight savings.

we don't offset from GMT since why would people in the western hemisphere even care what time it is in your arbitrarily assigned prime meridian time? :D

crono_logical
01-26-2004, 07:45 AM
Because all timezones are defined as an offset from GMT, which isn't true about other timezones :p Why do you think email headers and most international software use timezone offsets rather than abbreviations which mean nothing to most of the non-American world? :p

eestlinc
01-26-2004, 07:47 AM
because they're all part of a large anti-american communist conspiracy