PDA

View Full Version : Metallica

Strider
01-26-2004, 07:53 AM
The hardest rockin' band in the free world. Metallica.

http://www.metallica.com/ivergence/Image/98-00_1.jpg

Without a doubt, at least in this fan's opinion, James, Kirk, Lars, Jason, Cliff and Robert have been some of the most influential and simply best performers in the history of the music industry.

They've had their share of crises and conflict, but even after twenty years, from Kill 'Em All to St. Anger, the good ol' boys from Los Angeles are still clearly on top of the game.

What do you think of them? Are you one to believe they've lost their edge over time? Have you ever seen 'em live and what was it like? Just discuss anything Metallica.

TheAbominatrix
01-26-2004, 08:04 AM
I enjoy them... I'm not really a hardcore fan or anything. I like Garage Inc (if that's the one with the covers) and really really love that they cover The Misfits.

Since St. Anger though.. I dont like them much. I hate that song, and I feel its a huge cop out. Its way too 'rap rock', and I cant believe they would ever do something like that.

That, the anti-Napster thing, the tour with Limp Bizkit, and having Avril on their Mtv Icon thing... all just blah. Yes I know, money and fame, blah blah blah. Doesnt make it cool with me.

black orb
01-26-2004, 09:06 AM
>>> And Justice For All, that was the only album I liked..

metCloud
01-26-2004, 09:15 AM
It's really hard for me to pick just one. Master of Puppets is my favorite because Cliff made some great melodic stuff, which was enhanced by kirks solos. I mean the first time you hear Orion you cant help but to be amazed someone wrote that. I love the rest just as much, but Puppets has just had more of an impact on my life. Alot of the people I know that likes "Met" don't like Justice. They say it had bad production(which it did....)but I think it gives the album it own feel which is good. I love it. I LOVE IT ALL!!!!!

jrgen
01-26-2004, 03:15 PM
I'd have to say Master of the Puppets.
It's an amazing album and my favourite non-german album.

And justice for all gets the second place followed by Ride the lightning.

I don't understand how you can call St. Anger rap-rock.
It's shit but's NOT rap.

TheAbominatrix
01-26-2004, 03:22 PM
The song St Anger sounds like anything Limp Bizkit has every put out. He's not singing, he's rapping.

Stayin Dizzy
01-26-2004, 03:39 PM
I voted metallica. I think that one was the black album, which I've always just called the blakc album (all these years I didnt even think they titled it). MOP was second place though

metCloud
01-26-2004, 03:59 PM
St. anger only sounds that way because James uses drop D tuning. I like a couple of the songs, but I dont think it resembles any form of rock/rap besides the tuning.

jrgen
01-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by metCloud
St. anger only sounds that way because James uses drop D tuning. I like a couple of the songs, but I dont think it resembles any form of rock/rap besides the tuning.
Rammstein uses drop D tuning in some songs.
I wouldn't call them rap/rock

Flying Mullet
01-26-2004, 04:06 PM
Metallica gets my vote. I still remember when "Enter Sandman" hit the radio and it was the most bad-ass song I had ever heard. I was in 7th-8th grade and every guy I knew loved that song and acted like a bad-ass whenever it would come on.

jrgen
01-26-2004, 04:09 PM
I never really liked Enter sandman.
Not when I can listen to songs like Mater of puppets or Fade to black.

Strider
01-26-2004, 05:58 PM
The song St Anger sounds like anything Limp Bizkit has every put out. He's not singing, he's rapping. Except for that notable exception, he actually does sing during the rest of the duration of St. Anger. And outside of that song, did you ever hear Frantic? In my opinion, that's probably the best song they've had since The Black Album.

And yes, for reference, The Black Album's official title was Metallica. ;)

jrgen
01-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by El Mariachi
The song St Anger sounds like anything Limp Bizkit has every put out. He's not singing, he's rapping. Except for that notable exception, he actually does sing during the rest of the duration of St. Anger. And outside of that song, did you ever hear Frantic? In my opinion, that's probably the best song they've had since The Black Album.

And yes, for reference, The Black Album's official title was Metallica. ;)
Isn't really hard to top anything the've done after black album.

Skogs
01-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Metallica is their best album, but I go very much against the grain by saying I kind of like the stuff on Load and Reload. I guess I'm not snooty enough to be a 'real' metal fan.

Strider
01-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Well, don't get me wrong. I like allllll of their stuff. I guess I'm just with the camp that thinks they might've slipped a little bit after the Black Album, until St. Anger came out and said "so much for that."

Doomgaze
01-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Best... that's hard. The Black Album or Ride the Lightning, probablly.

Worst is clearly St. Anger. Not a single good song on it... I mean, even Load had one or two good songs.

metCloud
01-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Skogs
Metallica is their best album, but I go very much against the grain by saying I kind of like the stuff on Load and Reload. I guess I'm not snooty enough to be a 'real' metal fan.

I love Load/Reload. Not as metal music, but just because it does sound really f***** good if you think its not Metallica.

Originally posted by Jrgen
Rammstein uses drop D tuning in some songs.
I wouldn't call them rap/rock

I wasnt saying all Drop D is Rap/Rock...Playing in drop D may be easy as hell, but man is it fun! Rammstein and others play their drop D alot differently than Limp Bizkit or POD. I wish I could find my Rammstein CD. That was good stuff.
We need more votes for Puppets, although all of its good.

Outsider
01-26-2004, 08:35 PM
"Master Of Puppets", but any album before "Load" is great, so it's a very hard choice.

Leeza
01-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Metallica The Black Album. I do not like the sound of St. Anger.

Thunday Man
01-26-2004, 10:36 PM
i dont like metallica at all. i think that they are way over rated, and make bad music. i dont really mind their old stuff, but i absolutly HATE all their new songs, and especially saint anger. ive pretty much heard every one of their songs, due to one of my best friends loves them, but i can honestly say i dont like any 1 of their songs. now they are just a bunch of old men who sold out and are in a mid life crisis now. your time in the sun has passes metallica, break up and die please. the only possible way i can listen to any of their songs, and not comit suicide, is if i play them on my stereo and hit the kareoke(sp) button so i dont have to hear their awful lyrics and terrible lead singers voice.

jrgen
01-26-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Thunder God Cid
i dont like metallica at all. i think that they are way over rated, and make bad music. i dont really mind their old stuff, but i absolutly HATE all their new songs, and especially saint anger. ive pretty much heard every one of their songs, due to one of my best friends loves them, but i can honestly say i dont like any 1 of their songs. now they are just a bunch of old men who sold out and are in a mid life crisis now. your time in the sun has passes metallica, break up and die please. the only possible way i can listen to any of their songs, and not comit suicide, is if i play them on my stereo and hit the kareoke(sp) button so i dont have to hear their awful lyrics and terrible lead singers voice.
Does the fact that they are old and sold out make
the music before they sold out bad?

metCloud
01-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Im glad those old farts are still around. That way I can still catch at least 1 concert a year from them. At least this year I wont have to drive 5 hours.

katana
01-27-2004, 01:44 AM
Personally, I think they should quit. They used to be awesome, but there are steadily going mainstream. On the radio the other day, they were saying that now that theyve started playing some of the old metallica, some people are calling in asking who that was. These are actually the people who say that they are fans, but have never even heard master of puppets.:cry:

metCloud
01-27-2004, 02:03 AM
If they havent heard of MOP, they are not fans!! I say if you like there older stuff...fan or not, still go see them in concert if you can afford too. they play alot of old stuff with maybe 2 or 3 st. anger songs.

TheAbominatrix
01-27-2004, 02:22 AM
Hey, if it sounds like rap rock to me, it is rap rock for me. When I confuse the new Metallica song with a new Limp Bizkit song, then it's rap rock to me. Don't care for the reasons why.

RSL
01-27-2004, 02:26 AM
RIP free Napster :(

Skogs
01-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Just because a band's popularity goes slightly more mainstream dosn't make them sellouts. For god's sake, 98.58% of 12 year olds who listen to Britney Spears aren't going to distinguish between old and new Metallica. I think it's good that a band can evolve and change, instead of pandering to their 'fans' nostalgia

jrgen
01-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Skogs
Just because a band's popularity goes slightly more mainstream dosn't make them sellouts. For god's sake, 98.58% of 12 year olds who listen to Britney Spears aren't going to distinguish between old and new Metallica. I think it's good that a band can evolve and change, instead of pandering to their 'fans' nostalgia
In Metallicas case they really did sell out.
And they didn't evolve, they devolved.
The music both sounded worse and was more simple(doesn't have to be negative).

They started making a somewhat new type of music that was awsome.
Then they got famous doing that music and got lots of money.

Then they became greedy bitches and started making pop.

Skogs
01-27-2004, 05:14 PM
If they were still producing the same old thrash metal they'd be scoffed at for churning the same old tired thing. AC/DC aren't the force they once were. Why? Because one AC/DC album sounds pretty much exactly like the next. Metallica haven't gone pop by any stretch of the imagination. For Load and ReLoad they've incorporated elements of bluesier rock and even a bit of country into their sound. St. Anger goes back to their more aggressive roots, but takes a more minimalist approach with their sound. I stand by my praise of them for not pandering to their fans' nostalgia.

Doomgaze
01-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Change can be good, if it's for the better. I mean, The Black Album wasn't like the previous albums, really, and the direction they started to go in with Load ( I liked Hero of the Day) could have worked, but the songs just didn't work there. St. Anger is just... change to try to pander to Linkin Park fans.

metCloud
01-27-2004, 07:56 PM
It's all Bob Rocks fault!!:cry:

Burtsplurt
01-27-2004, 09:12 PM
I don't really have a favourite. I guess Load is the one I've listened to most, although the second half is pretty bad (except for "Mama's Song" - nothing like, erm, country metal?).

Lars Ulrich is the biggest prat in rock.

Germ Hamee
01-27-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Thunder God Cid

^^^
Pretty much word for word what he said. The only thing that has to do with Metallica that I've ever enjoyed was Apocalyptica. Cellos. Yum.

muchacho
01-27-2004, 10:57 PM
i like em a lot. i saw them in concert. they be my fav.

i liked load and master of puppets.

they kick ass.

Skogs
01-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Yes, and I don't care what anyone says. They are smegging awesome live!

Mr. Graves
01-28-2004, 01:35 AM
Both of my brothers loved Metallica back in the '80s. My older brother bought the Black Album, and was pretty disappointed with it. He loved the older, metal albums. I didn't mind the Black Album, but it bugged me how that every track besides "Of Wolf And Man" that didn't receive mucho radio airplay sucked monkey balls. Load was a passable album; they were taking their music to a new direction. Not quite as great as their '80s Metal stuff, but decent and listenable. ReLoad, I didn't like at all. Garage Inc. was good, but mostly for Disc 2, the older recordings. (They made those old Misfits songs modern. Yay.)

When it's all said and done, their bast album overall was "Master Of Puppets". Cliff Burton's last record with the band, and man, it's brings a tear because he would've made "...And Justice For All" an even better album than it was.

But, they suck now. I've never heard anything from St. Anger, and from what opinions I've heard, I don't really want to listen. Going after Napster really made me lose alot of respect for this band, since they defied their old ethics of being against industry. Just shows that if you wave enough money in most peoples' faces, they can (and will) change their beliefs.

Lamia
01-28-2004, 11:48 PM
Ride The Lightning. Go Dave Mustaine.

escobert
01-29-2004, 12:39 AM
I don't really like Metallica. I dunno just don't.

LH
01-29-2004, 11:24 PM
I can't put into words how good the black album is. Unbelievable. I listen to it a dozen times a week. It's probably my favorite album ever, and I am not really a metal fan first. They've really gone downhill though. I think the black album is their last album that I really and truly like. Listen to how aggressively Metallica fights against greed on "...and Justice For All" and listen to how they speak and see how they act now. Sure, they're entitled to all they've earned but Lars is more like Gollum than I care to mention.

DarkNation
01-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Metalica were good and they started alot of stuff ages ago....
Then nu metal came along and bands like linkin park were copying the old bands like metalica and making it a bit "nu" and they made loads of money from it. Then metalica decided that they would copy these nu metal band themselves coz they could get some money from it. nowadays all they are good for is when 11 year olds want to "rebel against society" they buy a metalica hoody and buy a cd or two and think that because they enjoy st anger that they are metal fans. Metalica trade on their image and nowadays are no better than britney spears or the cheeky girls or the ever increasing breed of pop idol winners who give a about nothing other than money.

I hear metalica are making a computer game now.....

metCloud
01-30-2004, 01:50 AM
:o Yes...they are making a video game sadly. all it is going to be is twisted metal with Meatallica music. As much of a fan as I am I am definetly not buying it. I can just play PGR2 with all my Metallica cds burned on the XBOX hard drive.

Leeza
01-30-2004, 03:37 AM
Isn't that video game something like wrestling? One band fighting another band? If that's it there are a lot of bands on it and I plan an buying it 'cause Marilyn Manson will be on it as well. :)

metCloud
01-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Leeza
Isn't that video game something like wrestling? One band fighting another band? If that's it there are a lot of bands on it and I plan an buying it 'cause Marilyn Manson will be on it as well. :)

not the Metallica game. You might be thinking of Celeberty Deathmatch or somthing, but could be somthing else. That sound pretty cool though...I might buy that.

Chzn8r
02-09-2004, 03:22 AM
1. Master of Puppets
2. Ride the Lightning
3. Kill 'em All
4. ...And Justice for All

I have no ranking for all the 'Lica (Metallica without the 'Metal') and nu-Metallica albums. Can't stand any of them. They were nothing near the same band they used to be in the 80s after the self titled Sell-Out Album came out.

The Man
02-09-2004, 03:29 AM
Graves more or less summed up my thoughts 100%. Although what really would have made AJFA great is if the sound of the album hadn't sucked monkey balls.

I voted for Puppets, obviously.

Tokki Wartooth
02-09-2004, 03:29 AM
I say Load, whutt.

Kuja124
02-10-2004, 02:59 AM
Anything before there Black Album is good after that. Well they are no longer a metal band. They have become just another MTV band.

But I have found some good metal bands that I do like. :)

metCloud
02-10-2004, 02:18 PM
YES!!! just been confirmed that there doin a show in Norfolk, Virginia... 45 minutes from my house. so no more 6 hour drive for me.