PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite NES Mario Game.

Rainecloud
01-26-2004, 04:46 PM
So, out of the first three Super Mario games that were released on the NES, which one is your personal favourite? If you want, you can list them in order of preference, and tell us what you like/dislike about each game.

So, here's what I think, with number 1 being my favourite:

1) Super Mario Bros - The original, and best. No other NES game got me addicted as much as this beauty, and the excellent level design still holds strong right up to this day. The music was cool, the enemies were great, the difficulty curve was perfect, and even the glitches were great fun. Nobody had seen anything quite like Super Mario Bros before.

2) Super Mario Bros 2 - Not as good as the original, but still a lot of fun. The gameplay was a radical departure from the first SMB game, but I still enjoyed it very much. Not being able to kill enemies by jumping on them felt a little weird to begin with, but after a while, obliterating Shy-Guys with raddishes became very satisfying. The level design was good as well, and the bosses were excellent. Plus, the ending was simply amazing.

3) Super Mario Bros 3 - Very addictive, but not my favourite out of the three Mario games. World 1 got off to a great start, but after a while, I became bored and unimpressed. Although the worlds were very varied and the gameplay itself was perfect, the level design wasn't all that great, in my opinion. Instead of enjoying the game and learning from my mistakes, I became annoyed at the sometimes ridiculous level design and gave up. A great game, but I prefer the other two NES Mario games.

And you? Please vote for your favourite in the poll.

HOOTERS
01-26-2004, 05:07 PM
I liked the second one the best, I dunno why really though, maybe because I played them when I was little and the other two were too hard for me. Or maybe because peach hovered and Luigi looked stupid when he jumped.

Del Murder
01-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Not only is it one of the best selling games, it is the best selling game. Also consider how many copies it's remakes for SNES and GBA have sold. It's one of my favorite games ever because it's long and there's plenty of extras. The other two didn't have those.

Lord Chainsaw
01-26-2004, 06:18 PM
Super Mario Brothers 3. The greatest Mario game ever made and one of the greatest games ever made.

Strider
01-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Oh, man, that's a tough one. . . I'm gonna go with SMB2.

Imperia
01-26-2004, 07:48 PM
I liked the second one the best. It's the most enjoyable of the three in my opinion.

Peegee
01-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Where's the lost levels?????

metCloud
01-27-2004, 12:48 AM
SM2 was cool but I like the first one better.

edczxcvbnm
01-27-2004, 01:06 AM
I choose mario brothers...not SUPER mario brothers. Just plain old mario brothers. Those other 3 are just...a'ight at best.

metCloud
01-27-2004, 01:25 AM
I dont think thats an NES mario game.

edczxcvbnm
01-27-2004, 01:29 AM
Yes it is.

metCloud
01-27-2004, 02:06 AM
ok, I will take your word on it. Ive only seen in arcade.

Sephex
01-27-2004, 02:52 AM
I would have said the first 'Super' as recently as a year ago, but as time went on, the 3rd installment grew on me.

Divina
01-27-2004, 06:10 AM
Super Mario Bros. 2. It was unique and you had four characters to choose from. =D

eestlinc
01-27-2004, 06:13 AM
yea, mario brothers was an NES game. it sucked though.

Dr Unne
01-27-2004, 06:30 AM
The original SMB was too frustrating. There were too many parts that were a matter of pure luck rather than skill (those stupid maze levels for example). And the control was terrible; it got way better in the later games. I don't know what age-group that game was released for, but it was way too hard too. Not nearly enough 1-UPs, and near the end when Bowser shoots a continual stream of hammers at you, it's not even fair.

SMB2 was OK, but really started getting old after the first couple levels. Not to mention that there are only two characters who are actually usable (Luigi and Toad; Princess was slow and sucky, and Mario was just worthless in every category). SMB2 was fun when I put in the Game Genie code to let the mushroom guy jump higher than Luigi though. Some levels were really amusing too, like the one where you have to jump across the waterfalls by landing on fishes. I liked the long levels with more than one route to take too, and I like the bomb guys. But I hate the desert. Oh, how I hate the desert. The desert ruined the game.

SMB3 was so long it hurt my brain, but the levels were nice, the control was nice, and all the levels were very beatable, even when they were hard the first time you saw them. There were enough secret things in the game to keep you entertained too, like the coin ship and the N-spades and the hidden suits and suchlike. But any game that long without a Save option = bad, to me. Maybe this was just before the era where savegames appeared in every single game released, but oh well. It also was way too easy. After you collect up 15 P-Wings and have 157 lives and can use those cloud-things to skip half the levels anyways, it's a tedious certainty that you'll beat the game eventually if you throw enough tries/lives at it. The game was fun when I put in a Game Genie code to stay permanently as HammerBrother Mario, and so I could continually jump in mid-air though.

So in summary, I vote for Duck Hunt. *does so*

Peegee
01-27-2004, 05:03 PM
What the heck kind of review was that? It felt like you remembered your first week of playing each game and graded the games according to that.

Duck Hunt sucks imo. Every level was the same albeit less time to shoot duckies. Did any level have more than one duck? Sheesh....didn't it get boring after a while? I once spent maybe an hour right up to the screen just to find out that after level 99 the level reset to level 1. Why 99? Did the 80's use some sort of bizarre variable handling that had 99 bits? Why didn't the levels end at level 127 or 255 or something better? That made no sense.

Plus you couldn't shoot the dog. Not even with game genie hacks. BTW I enjoyed how you confessed that you had to use game genie codes to beat SMB 2 and 3. I thought you were cool Dr Unne

/sarcasm

edczxcvbnm
01-27-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by eestlinc
yea, super mario brothers 3 was an NES game. it sucked though.

You don't say?

PeTeRL90
01-27-2004, 05:58 PM
It's a tough call, but I'mma choose 3 over 1.

Mr. Graves
01-28-2004, 01:48 AM
Super Mario Bros. 3. One of the greatest games ever made.

Darlon
01-28-2004, 05:47 AM
Super Mario Brothers 3 for me, that game rocks.

Garland
01-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Super Mario Brothers 1 is the best of the three.

Dingo Jellybean
01-31-2004, 05:23 AM
Super Mario Bros. 3

By far the best, maybe the best mario of all time. But SMB3 was so long and varied and was the first true 2 player Mario platformer. You couldn't go wrong with it. I mean all the secrets and different suits...it was just a total upgrade to SMB2.

Electric Barbarella
01-31-2004, 07:52 PM
It's a photo finish between 1 and 3 for me. I love the original simply because it's the first one and it had simple gameplay, which is what makes a game entertaining in my opinion, simply because it's easy to remember, even if you haven't played for a long time.

On the other hand though, I liked 3 mainly for the different suits that Mario could wear (racoon, bear, frog), they're SO CUTE! ^_^ *Ahem* And of course, the worlds are just the best, IMO :D

Ryth
11-06-2004, 08:26 PM
SMB3 is the Mario KING!!!!!!

aeris2001x2
11-08-2004, 07:40 PM
the first and third were both divine...but i picked the first over all.

The second sucked...and it was not even a real mario game (lost levels was the real super mario bros 2).

theundeadhero
11-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Without a doubt SMB1. This game is just way awesome. I didn't even beat it all the way through without using warp pipes until I was 18.

chriswong
11-11-2004, 11:29 PM
smb3... don't get me wrong... the original is incredible, but smb3 is just better.

and i loathe smb2!

Devourment
05-06-2005, 03:08 PM
I voted for Super Mario Bros.3, but really I love 1, 2, & 3!! I looooooooooooooooooove Mario!! & Yoshi is teh best.

I want the new Mario to come out soon. :(

Meat Puppet
05-06-2005, 03:23 PM
bizzario

Devourment
05-06-2005, 04:19 PM
bizzarioA whattio?

theundeadhero
05-07-2005, 06:16 AM
I'm waiting for someone to say Mario Golf.

...even if this is waaaay too late in response to Dr Unne's reply, the levels in Super Mario Bros 1 that were castle mazes weren't random. Theres a set path through them.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-07-2005, 06:39 AM
Jesus this thread is so done.