PDA

View Full Version : Atheletes, butts and homophobia

Flying Mullet
01-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Why is it that athletes pat each other on the butt after a good play/action rather than giving a high five, handshake, punch knuckles together, etc...?

Peegee
01-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Because it's harmless unless you think there's some sort of hidden homosexual-yaoi-yaoi happening just because of some casual contact.

Why do girls kiss each other on the cheek? Are they secretly having happy-love-love behind our backs?

I might sound a little snide but yeah...I still don't get what the big deal is, s'all.

Flying Mullet
01-27-2004, 05:06 PM
It just seems odd that in such a homophobic society no one minds if there's a slap on the butt between two guys. I guess I'm surprised that people don't complain more.

Also, does anyone know how that originated? I seems odd to me that someone decide that they needed spank their teammate to congratulate them. What started this?

Juggla
01-27-2004, 05:40 PM
Well it started in roman when times when the athletes would have tremendous gay orgies after a win... seriously though i dont know-why-why. I had one guy on my football team in grade 9 that would flip out if someone did that to him. Needless to say he got it the most. :D

Originally Posted by: Pureghetto
Why do girls kiss each other on the cheek? Are they secretly having happy-love-love behind our backs?

One can only hope! ::giggles:: ;)

Del Murder
01-27-2004, 05:46 PM
It's kind of like a 'go get em tiger' as they're walking away.

Flying Mullet
01-27-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Del Murder
It's kind of like a 'go get em tiger' as they're walking away.
Right, but why the butt? Why not the shoulder or the back?

Dingo Jellybean
01-27-2004, 06:08 PM
Well, when I was in a basketball league my coach would always slap me on the butt. I never had a problem with it. I guess it meant that you played hard and gave a good effort, while a pat on the shoulder usually meant you did an okay job but your coach respects more out of you.

It's kinda hard to explain...you would have to be involved in league play to know what I'm talking about. No one really had a problem with it though.

Flying Mullet
01-27-2004, 06:11 PM
I understand that it's okay and that it's part of the game, I've been there too. I was just wondering where it started. It's not like I walk down the office and I see people patting someone on the butt for giving a good presentation, or the principal pats the student on the butt when they give them their diploma at graduation. Why sports and only sports?

Dingo Jellybean
01-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Well, as for how it originated...it's unclear at this point. There was one NL manager who would wait for guys after they shower and slap their naked butts for a job well done. None of the guys really cared or became uncomfortable.

As for how and when it originated...it's all up in the air as of now. Your guess is as good as mine's.

Stayin Dizzy
01-27-2004, 10:13 PM
"those who protest loudest are most giulty":D

Just messin with ya FM. The only conclusion I can draw is that I've seen it happen to kids. A kid does something good you pat his head. You can't go around patting heads, or patting backs, and if you missed a high five you'd look like a jackass. high fives are stupid looking anyway. I suppose its like saying get your butt movin when they give you a pat and send you out, but in the end its just a congratulatory form.

It always has and always will be a mystery where it beagan. Could have been centuries ago. Meh, oh well.

Flying Mullet
01-27-2004, 10:20 PM
This is just one of those random questions that I thought of that will probably torment me until I figure it out. I hate it when I get these stupid questions stuck in my head!

Del Murder
01-28-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Flying Mullet
Right, but why the butt? Why not the shoulder or the back?
Because your hands are naturally down low.

gokufusionss1
01-28-2004, 09:54 AM
giving someone a kick up the backside motivates them, maybe this is an extension of that.

Peegee
01-28-2004, 06:13 PM
"Keep up the good work or this *slaps* is next" -- It's a threat. Duh.

escobert
01-29-2004, 02:48 AM
It makes you feel cool :) I slap guess asses all the time :) well when I was at football practice I would. I dunnop its just like expected of you.

Peegee
01-30-2004, 08:33 PM
I slap guess asses all the time

Stop being mean to boys

Electric Barbarella
01-31-2004, 01:05 AM
I have no idea, kupo! :mog: