PDA

View Full Version : Red X attack.

Linus
01-28-2004, 02:55 AM
Every single image just randomly died, except for avatars and signatures. All the smilies and buttons and banners are dead. =\

crono_logical
01-28-2004, 02:59 AM
All workin for me, so since I can't reproduce the problem, I can't fix it :D

TheAbominatrix
01-28-2004, 03:00 AM
I'm havin the same problem as Linus.

Linus
01-28-2004, 03:00 AM
The weird thing is, avatars are actually on EoFF's server, yes?

I can still see them, but not any buttons. =\

EDIT: All better.

crono_logical
01-28-2004, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by TheAbominatrix
I'm havin the same problem as Linus. Try restarting your browser.

I think it could be caused by the DNS updating - if the old server really is dead now, then I guess when your browser tries to look for images on eyesonff.com, it won't find them now and it breaks, hence restarting your browser to clear it's cache so it actually looks to the new server for eyesonff.com. Unless Firebird has an option to flush the address cache for you? I haven't checked yet :p

I don't think avatars would break since avatars are served from the database and the forums are still running off the IP internally, and probably shouldn't be changed for a few days until everyone's DNS records are changed.

Dr Unne
01-28-2004, 04:36 AM
I had the same problem just now. Restarting Firebird worked. Firebird has an option to clear the cache and to clear the history and to clear other junk. Didn't try that to fix this problem though, since I didn't want to clear my history.

Peegee
01-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Stop going to http://ip-address-here/forums and go to http://www.eyesonff.com/forums

Leeza
01-28-2004, 05:27 PM
The same thing has happened to me, but only when I log into EoFF from Hotmail. This is what I get when I go through Mozilla.

Leeza
01-28-2004, 05:29 PM
*double posts*

This is what I see when I go through IE.

When logging into eyesonff.com though, everything is normal.

Loony BoB
01-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Leeza: You're logging in through the IP address... how are you coming here via hotmail? Do you subscribe to threads, or are you checking reported posts?

Leeza
01-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Yes, I subscribe to threads and when I come in to read one I usually just stay in Hotmail while I read and post through eveything else in EoFF. That's the way I've always done it because I then know right away when something new has been posted because my mail window pops up...at least new in the threads that I've subscribed to...which is every thread that I've posted in, plus a few others. Now I get to see boxes or script.

Peegee
01-28-2004, 06:23 PM
It'd be helpful if you made an announcement telling the kiddies to come back to eyesonff.com/forums ^^

Dr Unne
01-28-2004, 06:34 PM
I THINK you could set up your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file to resolve the IP-style URL as the eyesonff.com-style URL on your computer itself, by adding a line that says

64.4.10.250 eyesonff.com

But since they're probably going to switch the MB internals over to use eyesonff.com pretty soon anyways, I don't think it'd be worth the bother.

Loony BoB
01-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Yeah, Leeza, looks like I've got exactly the same problem on my home PC. =P We're just unlucky, I guess. Should fix itself in a day or two at max.

crono_logical
01-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Yes, like I said earlier, the forums are still using the IP and not eyeonff internally, so emails will still use the IP at the moment, hence why coming from an email will do that :p I'll probably change it in a day or two when it's likely virtually everyone's DNS record has updated.

EDIT: When you click the links in your email, does it still do that if you open in a new window/frame?

Originally posted by Dr Unne
I THINK you could set up your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file to resolve the IP-style URL as the eyesonff.com-style URL on your computer itself, by adding a line that says

64.4.10.250 eyesonff.comSince that's a hotmail IP, that's not a good idea :p

Cid
01-28-2004, 08:35 PM
ahh, there we go.

Dr Unne
01-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Oh, I was looking at the screenshot. Yeah, I'm dumb.