PDA

View Full Version : Risk. The game of world domination

darkchrono
01-28-2004, 03:15 AM
Any of you guys ever played Risk much before. It is really fun if you are into those types of games.

I never played it much until recently. Just every now and then. Then recently I found a game of Risk for the ps2. It is a really good buy for anyone who likes risk. Does away with all the mess the board game creates.

Anyway. A sure way to win is to make Austrailia your home base. Then build up a big army to defend your home base. Then put up some armies around Asia to make it difficult for others to enter Asia (eventually take over Asia as well). Then slowly build up your armies and you eventually have two or three big enough armies to take over the whole world.

Of course that is against the computer players. Probably a little more difficult against human players. But against human players as well it would probably be a good strategy also.

What types of strategies do you guys use to win at Risk.

Flying Mullet
01-28-2004, 03:26 AM
Here's a classic version of Risk for the PC, called TurboRisk. It even lets you modify the AI of opponents if you want to try playing against different strategies.

http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/abandonware/pc/board_games_i_z/turborisk.html

Del Murder
01-28-2004, 03:59 AM
Yes! I like it. I play with my brothers and always win. Last time I was being forced back until I only controlled Europe and Greenland but bounced back to take Africa and South America in one turn. *flex*

There should be an online version.

Dr Unne
01-28-2004, 04:59 AM
He who rules Madagascar rules the world. My friend the Risk-master told me that. He was probably just trying to make me lose though.

Del Murder
01-28-2004, 07:56 AM
Madagascar is too out of the way to be important. If anything it's North Africa since it connects 3 continents.

darkchrono
01-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Actually I think getting Austrailia is most important for a couple reasons.

For starters there is only one entrance to it so it is easy to defend.

It is kind of out of the way of everything else so everybody else is killing eachother while you are building up your army around your base.

Also it is very close to Asia. So there is a good chance that if you take control of Austrailia you will eventually take control of Asia as well. And having control of those two continents gives you about 14 men every turn.

Also though I do not think Risk online would work very well. You would not find very many people willing to sit through up to a two hour long game. Especially if they were not doing very well in the game. It would be very frustrating trying to play online because 3/4 of the players would quit half way through the game.

Breine
01-28-2004, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I've played the game... Many times, but I tend to loose everytime... Darn my best friend who kicks my pretty butt everytime!

Flying Mullet
01-28-2004, 04:08 PM
I always go for the South America -> North America approach or the Australia -> Asia approach. I've tried starting with other continents but it gets very difficult, but it's a fun challenge. :)

Peegee
01-29-2004, 10:45 PM
2 hours? I've played games of risk that took days, even against a top level player. We would just go 'screw this' and attack him 3 on 1 and all lose days later because we keep 'feeding' him.

Austrailia is definitely the hip place to be.