PDA

View Full Version : Red Magic= weaksauce.

KainHighwind
01-28-2004, 06:17 PM
See my final post for my change of heart on the Red Mage. :)

FFV's Red magic is possibly one of the biggest wastes of time in any FF game.

More specifically: Mastering the stupid Red Mage (which requires 999 ABP for the final level) is the hugest waste of time EVER. RedX2 is, for all intents and purposes, CRAP. If it were X-Magic, that'd be really slick, but since it is restricted to Red magic only, meaning "level 2" type spells; Ice2, Cure2, etc, and below, I find it completely worthless!

So, if you're just starting out on FFV: Do NOT bother with Red Mage. DO have a character master at least 2 of the other mage classes --specifically Black, White, Blue, or (my new favorite) Time, and you'll be in much better shape!

Flying Mullet
01-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Or you can master the X-Magic atribute off of the Red Mage and then use that ability on any of the other classes, as you have one ability slot free to assign. Or you can change your character's class abck to normal and you have two (or three, I can't remember) slots to assign abilities to. You can have a Black Mage/Wizard and then assign the X-Magic to their second ability slot and cast two of any Black Magic spell that you can.

Stayin Dizzy
01-28-2004, 08:46 PM
2 slots (fight and item are assigned to normal class. X-fight does't change fight unfortunately) But the mimic you can assign 3 abilities (4 mimics, plus ultima, plus x-magic and repeatedly miming = hurt)

Lamia
01-28-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Flying Mullet
Or you can master the X-Magic atribute off of the Red Mage and then use that ability on any of the other classes, as you have one ability slot free to assign. Or you can change your character's class abck to normal and you have two (or three, I can't remember) slots to assign abilities to. You can have a Black Mage/Wizard and then assign the X-Magic to their second ability slot and cast two of any Black Magic spell that you can.

Which is why the Red Mage is actually a diamond in the rough.

Red mage rules.

Mr. Graves
01-29-2004, 03:13 AM
Never, ever underestimate Redx2. Never.

MagicKnight Locke
01-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Redmage rocks in the start and in the end.
What do i hate?

I hate Bards.

DocFrance
01-30-2004, 04:32 AM
Redx2 is the key ingredient in unleashing the Sublimely Magnificent Quinta-Megaflare Combo Mark III. Never underestimate Redx2.

KainHighwind
01-31-2004, 02:07 AM
But even my mighty black mage can only do about 1/10th the damage with a spell like, say, Fire2 as she can with Fire3. It's just lame. Black/White mages kick the crap out of the Red Mage, case closed. Giving RedX2 to a White/Black mage is horrible and pointless. bleh.

Lost
01-31-2004, 07:49 AM
The only time I used the bard was in the retrieval of the third tablet. Good lord that dungeon was killing my team, and the bard equipped with Apollo got me through that dungeon in a breeze. So the bard does have it's use.

eestlinc
01-31-2004, 07:58 AM
I dont think X Magic is restricted to lower level spells. You just need to have RedX2 a in one ability slot and another magic type in the other slot, or use it on a Mimic and have two more magic types.

The Man
01-31-2004, 11:33 PM
eestlinc knows the score. redx2 is absolutely wonderful because of that.

KainHighwind
02-01-2004, 10:54 PM
AAAAAAHHHH!!!!

Ok! Thanks! It appeared to me that it could only be used for Red Magic. Now I get it! Thanks a bunch!!

robfinalfantasy
02-07-2004, 01:43 AM
He's even more of a disappointment in FF3j.

Marble
03-25-2004, 04:02 PM
But he can wield the Wight Slayer, which is fun. I dunno, the Red Mage was hugely useful in the beginning of FFIII.