PDA

View Full Version : I know what's wrong!

Auron_Kotetsu
01-29-2004, 06:24 AM
I finally figured it out! I was listening to the FFX soundtrack this evening (joyously pilfered from my roommate's computer) when I realized my main beef with this game.

It's the music!

What happened to Nobuo Uematsu, whose sweeping techno-symphonic stylings I've enjoyed ever since the games COULD have music? Why is Spira suddenly waxing House-style beats? What the crap?

I think that's it. Uematsu has something in his composition that these new guys, Noriko Matsueda and Takahito Eguchi, utterly fail to grasp: A common theme. If you listen to the FFX soundtrack, most of the area themes will contain variations of either the Yevon Hymn, the title theme, or Suteki Da Ne. In X-2, there's no such common theme, other than an all-too-common pounding beat. Now, don't get me wrong; I like techno as much as the next guy, and I'm appreciative of the fact that Spira's supposed to be a drastically different place from two years ago... but does anyone else feel rather put-out by the guitar jam replacing the muted staccatto strings of the Djose Temple? Or the hippie-esque bongo drums edging out the piano on the Thunder Plains? Perhaps they did it on purpose, to further the feeling I'm getting from this game: That Spira was a better place when Sin still plagued it. The sweeping, grandiose, organic feel of the orchestral FFX soundtrack has given way to the mechanized, impersonal sound of FFX-2.

I think it's in large part due to the sound that this game doesn't feel like a FF title to me at all. Where are the signature victory fanfares, the usual Chocobo-riding music? I've been used to these sounds since I first played a FF game; it seems a shame to lose them now.

oh, and p.s.- If it turns out Uematsu, the real composer, was too busy doing music for the travesty that is FFXI, then I'm going to strangle someone. Because they should have realized that an online FF game was a bad call; it defies the very principles of the game, and I'm never going to buy it. And damn it, I don't care if anyone thinks differently on this! I know I'm right and you can't change my mind! :mad:

SeeDRankLou
01-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Having a common theme in the music is one way to go at soundtracks, but it's way overdone ever since the "Titanic" soundtrack. I'm glad they didn't do it this time. I like the music, it reflects the change of Spira. Everyone's more happy now, they can live and be free, and the music reflects that. In FFX, the music had a serious and somber tone throughout, which reflected the atmosphere. I LOVE the chocobo theme in FFX-2, it's just kind of funny to listen to. It's almost reggae, makes you think about what kind of greens Clasko is really growing....j/k. The common victory dance song and the common chocobo riding song, those are great but there comes a time when you need to be out with the old and in with the new. Mixing it up every once in a while isn't at all a bad thing, keeps us on our toes. Sometimes change is good, I like the change in this game. Never before while playing a final fantasy game can I say that I had fun. Don't get me wrong, I love these games to death, but playing them was rather dramatic and story intensive, like watching some Roman tragedy. And the music has something to do with that.

"I know I'm right and you can't change my mind."

Knowlege cannot be pondered, it can only be acquired. So you cannot know something unless you acquire that knowledge, so you cannot know that you don't like FFXI unless you play it. It's rather fun as far as MMORPGs go. A bit pricey, but what can you do.

Auron_Kotetsu
01-30-2004, 10:46 PM
What can I do? I can boycott it. Your dollar is your stamp of approval. And I think the idea is stupid. MMORPGs are dumb, and I should not have to pay for a videogame I've already bought.

I'm disgusted by what is obviously Square's bid to cut itself a slice of the Ultima Online/Everquest pie. And so I refuse to endorse it.

Sefie1999AD
01-30-2004, 11:01 PM
I think the reason why Uematsu didn't compose FFX-2 wasn't because of FFXI, but because he was busy with FF12. FF composer Nobuo Uematsu and FFT composer Hitoshi Sakimoto are combining their efforts to make FF12 a new, grandiose and powerful soundtrack. From what I've heard, FFX-2's music still suits the game very well, and there are some orchestral and emotional songs in FFX-2 soundtrack, especially "Until the Day We Meet Again", "Epilogue - Reunion" and "1000 Words - Orchestral".

Halenite
02-03-2004, 02:34 PM
I see no problem whatsoever in the music. What happened? Technology happened my friend.

Auron_Kotetsu
02-03-2004, 04:55 PM
I can see I'm not going to win this one; let it never be said that a good argument is all you need. The music wouldn't bother me if it felt cohesive, or held together. The fact is that it's just strange in some places. But I well know that those of you who loved it will defend it regardless of what I say. So... ah well. I've voiced my opinion on the matter. That's what fora are for.

BatChao
02-03-2004, 08:33 PM
The reason FFX-2's soundtrack is so strange is probably because the game itself is kinda off the beaten path as far as traditional FFs are concerned. That being said, I'll say that I think FFX-2's soundtrack is the best one since FF7/8. I really think Uematsu lost his touch somewhere as I hate FFX's soundtrack and FFXI's isn't much better.

As to the 'theme' thing, there are certain places where FFX-2 does pull the theme card, usually it's some variation of 1000 Words or the title theme. But I really think that the different songs for each part in the game really matches the tone of that section.

As for MMORPGs go, you shouldn't be so angry. Online games cost money to maintain because of constant upgrades to the game and the servers. It also costs money to maintain the servers. FFXI is a great MMO, and I think the $11 a month is well justified.

MateriaBladeVII
02-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Well, don't give up so quickly, Auron_Kotetsu! I agree with you! The music is quite odd in this one compared to the first. There are some good songs in it, though.

I find it odd that all of a sudden Yuna's a pop singer, too. To think from High Summoner to Songstress...? That's odd. I like it, though.

And as for FFXI, it's not the fact that it's a bad game- I'm sure it's loads of fun, at least for MMORPG fans- but it's the fact that it goes against the whole FF platform. Every FF before it had a clearly stated storyline and characters and ultimately general purpose. FFXI totally blows that whole concept apart- even FFX-2 stayed true to the genre. I for one, don't much care for the drastic changes coming to the FFs. I mean, I can tolerate sequels and skimpy dress and even all-female casts- but when it comes to making a game purely to appeal to the masses and fork in loads and loads of money... That just pisses me off. i mean, look at what they did to chocobos! They're ruined! Tonberrys and Cactuars, too. They're so messed up. Oh well, enogh of my mad ranting. You all obviously now know what my view on FFXI as an MMORPG is so I'll just shut up now...

Auron_Kotetsu
02-03-2004, 11:05 PM
Okay! Blade, that was just the boost I needed to get my second wind!

The songstress concept is stupid. There is no indication that Yuna's ever sung before, and her music is silly. It bothers me. What the hell prompted her to do that? I mean, I know they explain it in the plotline... sort of. With heavy emphasis on the sort of.

And as far as the music goes, I'm not saying it's not good. Far from it, in fact; I stated earlier:

Originally posted by Auron_Kotetsu
Now, don't get me wrong; I like techno as much as the next guy, and I'm appreciative of the fact that Spira's supposed to be a drastically different place from two years ago...
And I probably like it more than the next guy, now that I think about it. But thefact remains that, though they're catchy tunes, the contrast between FFX Spira and FFX-2 Spira is too huge at times. And that's my point.

Now, as far as FFXI goes, since we seem to be broaching that horrendous subject...

Once again, Blade, you've nailed my argument where other people have missed it. I'm not saying that FFXI is a bad MMORPG. I personally hate MMORPG's; I'm an antisocial person, and I can't stand to play games that afford other people the chance to be idiots. Diablo II is the extent of my online gaming - and you'll note that Battle.net is a free service you get just for paying for the title. While Blizzard has its flaws, at least you only pay for the game once.

My problem with making XI a MMORPG is that it's completely contradictory to the entire title line that precedes it. As I said before,

Originally posted by Auron_Kotetsu
I'm disgusted by what is obviously Square's bid to cut itself a slice of the Ultima Online/Everquest pie.
It's clear that the deviation from the normal FF format was not done in a sense of novelty and innovation; the MMORPG market is already a very, very safe bet when you have an established product line like the FF series. They let the other companies test the waters before embarking on the project themselves - when did Ultima Online first launch? There was no reason for Square to make XI in that format except one: They could now sucker people into paying monthly for a game they would otherwise only have to pay once for.

MMORPG is a genre that defies heavy plot development. This in itself should prevent a FF title being launched as one, as the strongest attribute in every preceding title in the series is the complex plot, which is uncovered slowly, and at the player's own pace and discretion. MMORPG presents a series of simple goals conducive to cooperation; while I haven't played XI, I'll wager it's heavily based on acquisition of items and cooperative leveling. I'll also bet that there are very few subtleties in the plot as it develops. I'll go ahead and say that you don't control a party of characters, but rather your own individual identity, which in turn is a member in a party made up of other individuals, who it is likely you don't get to play with on a regular basis, thereby shattering the character development that is so integral to these games. I'll even go crazy and venture that the plotline itself is very broad and general, and can be summarized in about 500 words without missing any important details. How did I know? Because I'm clairvoyant? Well, I am, but that's not how I know. (heh.)

It's because MMORPGs, like sitcoms and bad radio, are made according to a format, which has been developed solely to keep players playing for a long time, thereby keeping subscription up. And thereby sending Square more money.

If Square wanted to release its own MMORPG, but was truly concerned about the wishes of the FF series, why didn't they just call it something different? God knows it was a good move when they made Kingdom Hearts (don't get me started) so that people who loved the FF series wouldn't have to watch their favorite characters playing grab-arse with Mickey Mouse. I don't care if Sephiroth shows up and kills everyone in that game; when "everyone" consists of Donald Duck, Eeyore and a prepubescent kid, it's a hollow win, Seph. Jack Skellington is the only good character. They should have just given the whole game to Jack and had him own all over all the other Disney characters.

But getting back to the subject at hand, I'll tell you why they made their MMORPG FFXI. They knew nobody wanted just another MMORPG. They knew that if they just tossed another Everquest out there, nobody would bite if it was a mediocre game (which, by all accounts, XI is). And so instead they whored out their successful creation, banking on the success of the FF title line to float a game which otherwise would have sold average at best, and would certainly not have maintained any lasting subscription. They took the name which has sold millions of titles worldwide and stuck it on a release that was completely out of character for the series. They expected FF gamers to ignore the flagrant deviation from the rest of the series, and spend their money on it just because it had Final Fantasy on its box. And that was a cowardly move to make. And that is why I dislike XI - not because it's a bad MMORPG, but because it's a betrayal of the games that I have come to love. And if the company that created them isn't going to defend them, then I will, by not purchasing the title, and not supporting it.

MateriaBladeVII
02-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Kudos, AK! But I just want to point out that I don't back you up on the Kingdom Hearts thing. Have you ever played that game? Sure it's made loads of money and seems flashy, but that was a definite leap of faith in giving the project the greenlight. I mean, who'd have thought that a game with Cloud and Squall fighting alongside Donald and Jack would be so successful? You'd think people wouldn't buy into the idea. But the truth is, the gameplay is so fun, the characters so interesting, and the storyline so riveting that it's wowed millions. I love Kingdom Hearts like a fat kid loves cake. The gameplay in it is quite a masterpiece in my opinion. The battle style is even more action-packed than FFX-2. The storyline leaves you crying for more every time there's a cut-scene. And I love Sora, Kairi, and Riku like there's no tomorrow! Sorry, AK- but I have to disagree with you on that one.

Anyways, back to this thread's topic! lol. Yeah... music...

Auron_Kotetsu
02-04-2004, 05:59 AM
I think this is one where we're gonna have to simply agree to disagree. It just means more KH for you, Blade.

Psst! The reason I've never played it is that the concept pisses me off so much that I'm afraid it will turn out to be a good game regardless. Who knows; it's in the bargain bin at WalMart for ten bucks. I might grab it and have to eat these words. We'll see.

Halenite
02-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Ooooh. Never mind. If I was offensive in anyway. Please forgive me. I must have misread it.