PDA

View Full Version : A really long quest



Mordred
01-30-2004, 12:40 AM
Hey everyone, this is my first post, but i thought i would put this here, cuz im playing II

Yeah basically i woke up one day and said "Hey im gonna play every single Final Fanatsy game that was rpg style, in order"

So here i am a week later, im done with I, but i though I would just ask, when should i play mystic quest, like after IV? lol

thanx

Black Mage
01-30-2004, 01:37 AM
I wouldn't. But, that's mainly because I hated it.

FFUSA wasn't my cup of tea, but I'm sure some people here will tell you otherwise, so you should probably listen to them.

Bahamut2000X
01-30-2004, 01:45 AM
I say play Mystic quest whenever. It's not part of the main series and is really only a beginners RPG meant to get people hooked into RPG's.

Vermachtnis
01-30-2004, 04:03 AM
Mystic Quest is a bad game. You can beat it very fast. But, I think it came out after FF4.

Flying Mullet
01-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Yeah, it did come after Final Fantasy IV. As was mentioned before, it is a beginner's game. The box for the game even says that it is an entry-level role-playing game. The graphics and music are awesome (colorful and cool for a SNES) and there are some puzzles that you have to solve by interacting with the environment, Zelda style. But there isn't much replay value beyond the first, and maybe second time through, as everything runs the same every time (the monsters are visible on the screen and they don't move). But it should be fun to try out for a little while at least.

Mr. Graves
01-31-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Omni Legacy
Mystic Quest is a bad game. You can beat it very fast. But, I think it came out after FF4.

Indeed.

Fredde
01-31-2004, 08:52 PM
Well, Square made the game for beginners, and in that case, it's a great way to teach them the basics of RPGs (and Final Fantasy). I think I've heard that they intended to release it before FFIV, in order to get people interested, but instead it was released afterwards, wich meant it flopped.

But my suggestion would actually be, play FFMQ BEFORE the other games. If you're a newbie, that is...

Genji_Fujiwara444
02-01-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Fredde
Well, Square made the game for beginners, and in that case, it's a great way to teach them the basics of RPGs (and Final Fantasy). I think I've heard that they intended to release it before FFIV, in order to get people interested, but instead it was released afterwards, wich meant it flopped.

But my suggestion would actually be, play FFMQ BEFORE the other games. If you're a newbie, that is...

Indeed, but I actually rather enjoyed FFMQ alot more than FFX, and FF8.

It really truly is a great game even if you are a expert RPG player, you just gotta be in the mood for it, besides, who DOESN'T like FFMQ's boss and battle music?

DJZen
02-01-2004, 08:42 AM
I really don't understand how it's intended for newbies. It's not like they used a particularly flashy engine, and the gameplay is standard pre-ATB FF fare. I remember playing it back when it came out and thinking "wow, I hate these battle arena. Wow, I REALLY hate these battle arenas." I like the game, mostly for how the hero (who has whatever name you decide to give him but I think his name is supposedly Benjamin) gets pissed off at everyone. "Wow, this dungeon sure was tough to beat! See you later!" "I COULD stick around with you and fight more monsters, but I've got magic armor to hunt down!" "Say, can you spare 10GP for a cup of coffee *runs away*". The "WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE?!" expression he gives is not to be missed. It almost looks like he's flipping you off!

Getting back to the point of this thread though, I'd say play it AFTER you play every other game. It's refreshing to finally breeze through a FF game, and you'll appreciate the parody elements that much more.

Dragonfire
02-04-2004, 11:10 AM
i agree i would just not play it, it's waste of time. Though I guess you could use it as a refreshing break from the others.

Flying Mullet
02-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by DJzen
I really don't understand how it's intended for newbies. It's not like they used a particularly flashy engine, and the gameplay is standard pre-ATB FF fare. I remember playing it back when it came out and thinking "wow, I hate these battle arena. Wow, I REALLY hate these battle arenas." I like the game, mostly for how the hero (who has whatever name you decide to give him but I think his name is supposedly Benjamin) gets pissed off at everyone. "Wow, this dungeon sure was tough to beat! See you later!" "I COULD stick around with you and fight more monsters, but I've got magic armor to hunt down!" "Say, can you spare 10GP for a cup of coffee *runs away*". The "WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE?!" expression he gives is not to be missed. It almost looks like he's flipping you off!

Getting back to the point of this thread though, I'd say play it AFTER you play every other game. It's refreshing to finally breeze through a FF game, and you'll appreciate the parody elements that much more.
It's considered a beginner's game because everything is the exact same every time. The enemies are in the same spot and they always have the same enemy party composition. Items are always found in the same spots and you can't get any items at random, like stealing from enemies or enemies dropping items. The only way you can realy mix it up is to go into a dungeon again and clean out the enemies again, earning more experience.

eestlinc
02-05-2004, 09:33 AM
I though Mystic Quest was fun. It's a good way to spend an idle afternoon, or at least it was back when it came out and I was 13 or whatever.

Citizen Bleys
02-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Mystic Quest's music isn't bad.

The story, gameplay, and graphics were, though.

Dragonfire
02-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
Mystic Quest's music isn't bad.

The story, gameplay, and graphics were, though.

heh agreed

DJZen
02-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
Mystic Quest's music isn't bad.

The story, gameplay, and graphics were, though.

Wow, you must really hate FF games then, considering the gameplay is basically FF1 with a jump button and the graphics are just FF4 graphics with cartoonier monsters. And yes, the story is somewhat lacking, but really only when you compare it to other FF games. If you just consider it for its individual merits it's a perfectly fine game.

Citizen Bleys
02-10-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by DJzen
Wow, you must really hate FF games then, considering the gameplay is basically FF1 with a jump button and the graphics are just FF4 graphics with cartoonier monsters. And yes, the story is somewhat lacking, but really only when you compare it to other FF games. If you just consider it for its individual merits it's a perfectly fine game.

Right, FF1 with all of the fun removed and totally flat and retarded characters.

See, a lot of people slam on FF1 because the main characters don't...actually have characters, but it's a sort of game where it's actually fun to build your characters up and buy new spells and stuff.

The battles in MQ are too easy, completely unrewarding, and a complete waste of time. Just like the rest of the game.

Denmark
02-10-2004, 03:04 AM
I agree that FF1 rocks.

So what if the characters don't have character? That makes them more personal, and you can connect more with them if you imagine them to be a game representation of yourself. [/philosophy]

Dragonfire
02-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Sadia
So what if the characters don't have character? That makes them more personal, and you can connect more with them if you imagine them to be a game representation of yourself. [/philosophy]

I have to agree with this. In FF1 I always made characters with names of me and my friends, and kinda favored "my" character.

Daventhalas
02-10-2004, 07:41 PM
I always felt the lack of set characters made FF1 the best game in the world. And that's just how it is. In fact, any game that has a voiceless main character, like chrono trigger or suikoden, is a great game. While games that have a main character are iffy.

If the main character is all angsty... well.. I don't want to play him, I want to slap him.

And FFMQ is terrible. It's nothing like FF1 at all. Here's how things go:

#1 Game: FF1
Worst Game ever: FFMQ (good musci though)

Reine
02-12-2004, 08:48 PM
I quite like it. The music is awesome for a SNES game, and the graphics are pretty good once you restore the Crystals, as at the start the graphics are all brown and grey, and when you restore the Earth Crystal, it gets all colourful and flowery. Being able to jump and attack on the field is pretty cool. I jump through the towns and dungeons because its faster (Due to my USELESS 100 MHz computer....). Benjamins attitude is pretty funny too.

Its not great, but it is pretty fun. Almost everyone I know hates it or scorns it, and they havent even played it. You want to see a REALLY bad game, then play FF Legends 1-3 and FF Adventure on the Game Boy (SHUDDER)

Daventhalas
02-12-2004, 09:04 PM
[SB] You want to see a REALLY bad game, then play FF Legends 1-3 and FF Adventure on the Game Boy (SHUDDER)

FF Adventure was orignally Seiken Densetsu 1 wasn't it? It is an awesome game. I can never get enough of it, and actually finished it a few times for kicks.

The FFL's are the NES SaGa's are they not? They're not too bad... but like FF Adventure I think they got tagged with the FF label to trick us into thinking they were FF goodness. Which they weren't. Much like FFMQ. It just wasn't much of an FF, and I'll hate it forever.

Yes, my FFMQ hatred can never die.

eestlinc
02-13-2004, 08:20 AM
I don't think this hatred is healthy, Daven.It's not like FFMQ raped your sister or something. It can sit in the corner and suck all day for all I care.

The Man
02-13-2004, 09:15 PM
i dunno, disgracing the name of final fantasy as mq does is pretty abominable imo.

DJZen
02-15-2004, 03:13 AM
Disgrace the name of FF? That just sounds a touch..... touched..... I agree, the characters are pretty flat, but the game wasn't supposed to have an epic plot line or have deep interpersonal relationships, it's just a "quick, go save the world!" story. It's only there to give you an excuse to go kill tons of monsters. The real fun comes in stomping the bosses and getting treasure, which is kinda why I like RPGs anyway.

Also, the original SaGa games which were released here as Final Fantasy Legend I-III were released for the game boy in Japan, not famicom.

FEOK
02-15-2004, 05:07 AM
FFL 1+2= Crappy turn based no-stragety Fire Emblems.
FFMQ= Underrated game which definatly deserves more love than it gets.
I personally think FF2 is the ugly stepchild of the FF seires. I'm very close to beating MQ right now, so I can say that I'm enjoying it alot right now, and I just don't know why.

eestlinc
02-15-2004, 07:25 AM
just for kicks (http://members.clnk.com/estinson/ffmq.htm)

this is the best line ever:

Tips, Tricks, and Other Cool Stuff

-- Fight every enemy you see. You will eventually defeat any enemy you ever come across.

Psychotic
02-15-2004, 03:17 PM
I never completed Mystic Quest. I think I got to some underground temple thing early on, and this Ninja dude goes with you and there's a boss, but I just got bored, and yeah.

I loved it, kinda, as you could JUMP! One of the greatest features in any FF game of all time. I'd just leap around towns and over NPCs and stuff. BOING BOING BOING!