PDA

View Full Version : VI and VII

Mordred
01-29-2004, 11:51 PM
Yeah i have a quick question for everyone, i havnt played VI yet, but i will be soon....
So I guess this is the question....is VI better then VII, because personally to me FFVII is the best game ever

*Hides* "DONT THROW STONES AT ME PLEASE!"

Shoyku
01-29-2004, 11:55 PM
There's no way to prove that one is better than another, but being an avid fan of FFVII, FFVI is just fantastic. I put them both at an equal level, and they're both fantastic.

TheAbominatrix
01-30-2004, 01:13 AM
It's opinion, and if you already have it in your head that VII is better, you'll have a hard time accepting VI as it's better. I personally feel that VI is far far better than VII.

PeTeRL90
01-30-2004, 03:35 AM
Some people say that VI is the best, while others says VII is the best. So yea, it's basically based on opinion.

Personally, I think VI is better than VII, though IX is the best. ;)

Flying Mullet
01-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Yeah, this is an ongoing debate, along with FFVII vs. FFVIII.

Personally I think that FFVI is better than FFVII, but that's just me. My best suggestion is to just to try playing it and see if you enjoy it. :)

CloudDragon
01-30-2004, 09:18 PM
Possibly this should go in General Final Fantasy?

Its all dependant on opinion my friend.

Lost
01-31-2004, 07:59 AM
Here in lies the problem. Most of all the players of FF started playing FFVII first, and that game is highly addicting for it's twist, humor, dark secrets, and a better love story, and the story is more realistic in the fantasy sense. FFVII and FFVI are very similar in the overall story: a group of rebel is defending the land against a larger and evil coporation that searches to find an ancient power to conquer the world but find that there is something else behind it all. If I had gotten it through my head that the story of FFVII copied FFVI, not FFVI copied the story of FFVII, then I might have enjoyed it more. FFVI is worth playing, but for some reason FFV grabbed me more than FFVI.

Edgar
01-31-2004, 10:00 AM
Must...prevent....overwhelming hate on...the...mention...of FFVII..........

rofl, just kidding :P

DJZen
02-01-2004, 09:10 PM
I think the debate is really just between old-school heads and new-school heads. The old direction vs. the new direction. Amano vs. Nomura. Sadly, neither side can present a good claim over the true superiority of the one over the other. Well, I dunno, maybe that's not so sad.....

ChocoboRider
02-02-2004, 11:19 PM
now, i dont know about that. i just began playing final fantasy a few years ago, following my beating chronotrigger. on my emulators, i began first w/ ff4 (ff2 to some of u), then ff5 (an english version) then ff6 (or ff3, to some). i must say that ff6 pulled me along more than any other i have played up to and since that time. it remains my avid favorite, much more so than ff7. so before u say "old-schoolers", it depends not on when u played or how old u are, but what games u prefer. just as i prefer a 2-and-sometimes-3 dimesional game, some like the more realistic games.

sorry. im only in highschool, so i dont like being called "old-school".

MagicKnight Locke
02-03-2004, 08:57 AM
My opinion of those two games

FF6-My 4th favourite FF
FF7-My 6th favourite FF

In my opinion it depends if you care more about the gameplay or the graphics.

Caltrap
02-03-2004, 03:10 PM
I don't agree with that, I care much more about gameplay, or my fave FF would be X not VIII. But, I prefer VII because the plot is a lot more twisty turny, and I felt I could relate to the chars a bit better.

But FFVI is like Uber-Excellent too. You gotta play it.

The Man
02-04-2004, 03:32 AM
FFVII has pretty crappy graphics really, except in FMVs.

I prefer FFVI. FFVII certainly deserves a fair portion of the attention it gets, but it just doesn't pull me in like FFVI does.

Sabin_Figaro
02-05-2004, 12:35 AM
hello i am new so ill just post here for this great debate.

i think that FFVI and FFVII are about the same. i enjoyed FFVI because it was the most in depth game i had played at the time and i also enjoy FFVII becuase it brought me a new form of fighting and with a very good story line. even tho the graphics werent the best. and i didnt enjoy FFVIII to much tho te graphics where the best i hadd seen in a FF i didnt like the story line to much

Outsider
02-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Maybe what matters is which game you played in the first place. It's more like the "old-school vs. new-school" debate I had far too many times...

But I consider that the overall quality of each game can make a difference in anyone's choice, and I consider FF6 to be a much better game, and it's my favourite FF (and it wasn't even my first FF).

I'm playing FF7 again lately, and I say it's a little boring... The storyline is too linear, Cloud is a poor main character and the graphics are horrible (it's so bad it hurts my eyes just to look at it). But it has some qualities, it's worth playing sometimes.

In the other hand, I don't play FF6 in a while... But I can say that I love EVERYTHING about that game. The only ploblem is that FF6 is a little too easy, but hey, FF7 wasn't much of a challenge anyway...

Advent Child
02-06-2004, 12:25 AM
KH > FFVI > FFVII

LingaringBell
02-08-2004, 06:23 PM
It's strange how many people can say basically the exact same thing in one Forum, but i really must say that it is rather hard to pick between two such good games. Graphics aside, I used to think that FF6 had much better music, but as i listen to more and more FF7 music i am beginning to realize that they are about equal. The stories are each pretty good too, however FF6 doesn't have quite the plot twists and surprises of FF7, it's story is still a classic and will probably go unchalleneged for ever and ever. hehe. Well in the end i don't think we can decide guys.

Edgar
02-11-2004, 09:46 AM
FFVII music seemed to have heavy beats imho, tho One Wing Angel was one of the best in my list.

I'm an devious, insane sort of person, so when Kefka laugh, I laugh :P

There's no insane plans or whatsoever in FFVII. The villian just...didn't suit me. Don't get me wrong, i think Sephiroth is a good character but...*sigh*

The Man
02-11-2004, 03:43 PM
sephiroth isn't the real villain of ffvii though. hojo and jenova do far more evil things than sephy does; sephy's just a puppet.

Lord Chainsaw
02-11-2004, 06:49 PM
I like Final Fantasy VII more. It has a magic that no other game I've ever played had.

I can't really understand why FF VI is so popular. To me its simply a game thats a bit above average. Maybe my fifth or sixth favorite FF.

Night_Sword
02-11-2004, 08:09 PM
I like FF3's game play more then 7's on one hand, but on the other hand 7's story wasn't stolen from Breath of Fire.

Del Murder
02-11-2004, 09:54 PM
I liked FFVI because there was plenty of characters with unique abilities, good storylines, and a bunch of crap to collect and sidequests to go after. I had a problem with VII and VIII that all the characters were the same except for their limit breaks. I liked VI's use of the unique ability. Final Fantasy VI is my favorite game of all time.

eestlinc
02-12-2004, 08:04 AM
if 6 is better than 7, then 5 is way better than both.

Del Murder
02-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Your logic depends on a premise that I don't agree with. :)

FEOK
02-14-2004, 12:40 AM
I didn't care too much for VI's levelling system, you got, say 1 or 2 stats at the most per level depending on which Esper you have equipped. VII had a much better system, you simply gained some stats with each level like the previous ones.[ I think you did, I might be confusing 7 with another one] So I liked VII much better beacuse it wasn't a pain in the neck to raise your characters stats.

The Man
02-14-2004, 12:51 AM
the characters are powerful enough to barrel comfortably through the game at level 40-ish anyway, why would you need to raise your stats that much? unless you're a completist like me, but that's a rant for another day.

Del Murder
02-14-2004, 02:11 AM
I once got everyone to level 99 with all magic and abilities (minus 15 or so rages) and had all but 7 or 8 items, but the battery on that game pack died out long ago. :(

The Man
02-14-2004, 02:19 AM
bad luck. i don't think i was ever obsessive enough to power EVERYONE up to level 99, but i got a good half of my party members to 99 (and the others were at 50-ish at least I think). Had most of the rages (except a few that I'd unforunately missed in the WoB) and a lot of the items as well. Too bad that's on my friend's copy of the game which, for obvious reasons, I don't have anymore. What a great game though.

Del Murder
02-14-2004, 02:20 AM
Powering up Gau was the hardest because I just don't like him.

The Man
02-14-2004, 02:22 AM
I like him, it's just a pain in the to wander around getting all those Rages. I usually bring Strago, Relm and Locke with me, and have them steal and learn Lores while I'm at it. Makes sense, really. It's also a good way to have the rest of your characters learn Magic - that way you can give whatever stat bonuses you want to each character as you level up.

Edgar
02-15-2004, 02:44 AM
It's a pain when you didn't do any leaping in WoB and when you reach WoR, you get a ****load of monsters to leap. That meaning the each monsters *should* have a lower percentage of battling you as you progress into the game, at least, in my case it is.