PDA

View Full Version : When Enemies Become Friends

TheAbominatrix
01-31-2004, 04:09 AM
You know how it goes, right? You do battle with an enemy... he's got extremely high hp, and attacks that kick the living crap out of you. Nine times out of ten, the game has even made him unbeatable.

Then, through some strange twist of fate, the enemy has a change of heart or needs your help, and ta-da! That super kick baddy is now on your team.

Only problem is... they suddenly suck! Best example: Rico on Xenogears. When Fei fights Rico for his Baptismal, Rico busts out this killer move... and seems to have tons of hp. Yet, when he comes on your team, his hp barely crests 200, and his damage is crap.

What're your feelings on this? Annoying or... really annoying?

SomethingBig
01-31-2004, 04:38 AM
Warning: My post will have spoilers.

At times it's extremely annoying. Other times, it's pretty darn shway.

Annoying times:
CT - Magus. When you fight him, he does that thing where he absorbs you magic, he had Dark Matter, I believe, and he had 6666 HP.

Sonic & Knuckles- Bah, the only unique thing Knuckles could do was glide, which Tails could do. None of that mattered, anyway, once you got Super-Dooper Sonic.

Shway Times:
Streets of Rage 3 - I LOVED playing as Roo and Shiva. Fine, maybe Shiva didn't actually become a good guy, but you still got to play as him, if you did the right things.

black orb
01-31-2004, 05:40 AM
>>> Yeah, but I think is fair enough to have bad-a.s.s characters in your team even if they are weak at the beginning, after all is your job to boost them and make appear their true abilities..
For me the most rejoicing experience was in Valkyrie Profile, have Brahms and Lezard Valeth in your team is sure amazing..

Mo-Nercy
01-31-2004, 08:24 AM
Yeah. I agree.

Also the same with Seifer, except it's reversed. He goes from badass when he's on your team, then sucky when you fight him.

Rainecloud
01-31-2004, 04:39 PM
It's one of the age-old traditions of computer games, my friend.

And it's not going to change. ;)

Del Murder
01-31-2004, 06:10 PM
Yes! Oh well, at least when those characters fight you they don't do thousands of damage per turn.

crono_logical
02-01-2004, 03:41 AM
Since they're "bad" guys, maybe they're drugged up whilst enemies, but decide to quit it after joining you :D

Mr. Graves
02-01-2004, 04:17 AM
It makes the games more challenging. More challenge is a good thing, imo.

TheAbominatrix
02-01-2004, 09:39 AM
It's just annoying, and doesnt make much sense.

Unless Guu is using mind-washing drugs.

Xander
02-01-2004, 04:27 PM
I think I only remember feeling like that with Beatrix in FFIX when she joins your team. Because before you used to be able to take so much HP off her and she'd still be alive but when she's fighting with you, she doesn't have so much.

It's kinda annoying but just one of those things I guess ><

Breine
02-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I know the feeling (It's a crappy feeling)... I just can't remember where I tried it?? ...But it's a crappy feeling! :D

MecaKane
02-01-2004, 08:29 PM
The battle systems in RPGs never make sense. Where do these invisible enimes come from? And what is this new world we're fighting them on?

Even in CT the running away-ness was wierd, but there was kind of an excuse for Magus He had his powers drained from Lavos or something when he tired to kill it before Zeal fell. But if you decide to fight him he's even stronger. @_@

Heath
02-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Millenia in Grandia II is another good example. Though, she's better than Elena anyway so I'm not complaining :p