Lame older game rip-offs without admitting it

Breine
02-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by NAILBAT
guys that look like chicks...god I hate that

Word!

Caltrap
02-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Guys that look like chicks for def. What is it with Square? Are there no masculine men in the office?

And a thermonuclear bomb. That would sorta shift the tilt a little.

m4tt
02-03-2004, 02:43 PM

I'm glad someone else said that..

Stupid mini games like the ones in FF-X2 come to mind.

Caltrap
02-03-2004, 03:13 PM
You know what, I stand corrected. I'd rather see a thermonuclear bomb than a FF filled with loads of minigames that "have" to be completed to continue

Xander
02-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Chick-guys are hot.

I'd like to not see guns, and technology, and all characters being human. And definately no blitzball or blitzball type games!

ForeverZeroUltima
02-09-2004, 12:23 AM
main characters in dresses (unless they're female) *cough* Cloud

black orb
02-09-2004, 12:54 AM
>>> A sequel..

The Man
02-09-2004, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by ForeverZeroUltima
main characters in dresses (unless they're female) *cough* Cloud Come on, that scene was HILARIOUS.

Obligatory minigames are my biggest pet peeve. Actually I don't like a lot of the optional ones either, *cough chocobo breeding cough* but at least they were optional.

Big D
02-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Ultima_Paladin
guns and technology - that's the biggest one right there I like a bit of variety. 'Fantasy' doesn't just have to be medieval, I like the way cyberpunk dystopia was blendede into FFVII, particularly. As long as it's not overdone.

Things I DON'T want to see:

*Worlds with dozens of different species, like in FFIX

*Other completely implausible (i.e. downright illogical, not just fanciful) stuff

*Gameplay, plot and character development sacrificed to make way for image and hype.

Flying Mullet
02-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Ultima_Paladin
guns and technology - that's the biggest one right there

and FFVIII.

i90east
02-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Things I don't want to see:

*A Backstreet Boy as a main character
*Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera as a main character
*Gameplay built around graphics
*Hype with nothing to back it up
*Lack of a world map
*Gameplay and storyline replaced by sex appeal/badassness
*Easy gameplay with boring linear battles
*Over-complicated battle controls and character micro management
*Gunblades and other stupid weapons
*Same summon creatures used over and over and over
*Same magic spells used over and over and over

SpikingZero
02-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Annoying female royalty characters *coughGARNETcough*

Iceglow
02-09-2004, 07:33 PM
hmm for me it would be the way that in X there was no free roaming...it lowered the lifespan and completion time by half easily!

Tetra master god that was infuriating and you got treated to a glitch that deletes all your hard work if you complete it

don't mind some other species such as Shuumi tribers including a couple of moomba's but IX had too many to be logical

mini games that are compulsory damn it there were too many in VII for me to enjoy the very deep story

Cait Sith I rest there without comment

the phrases BOOYAKAKA or YA KNOW speak english you GRRRRR

Weak main characters like Tidus where it's y arrogant and not great at physical combat or magic for that matter unless you spend 200 hours personally on them alone building them up and their equipment oh wait let me include Zidane here as well

weak enemies - I completed IX at level 35 where was the difficulty I walked it through the end without cheating I want a challenge I.E. Sephiroth w/o KOTR

the lack of great weapons such as Bows, Crossbows and Spears I saw spears in VIII on the NPC cadets in the garden battles but why not let one of the main characters use it I don't know Rinoa could've used one effectively or Quistis or Selphie

the fact that no matter what you equip most weapons or armours strangely look like the characters default weapon

FEOK
02-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Not another Cid. God I hate the fact that they reuse him again and again.

DocFrance
02-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Well, all they do is reuse the name. You can't really tell me that Cid is the exact same character in FFVII that he is in FFVIII.

escobert
02-09-2004, 11:39 PM
I'd like it if they went back to the older FF styles in pretty much every aspect.

Evelia
02-10-2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Xander
Chick-guys are hot.
I agree. :)

Um... I'm gonna have to go with obligatory minigames. I hated having to play Tetra Master to advance the story in IX.

EveningCross
02-10-2004, 03:39 AM
1. Characters that learn stuff by getting pummeled by it (i.e. enemy skill)

2. Gameplay/Story Development/CharacterDevelopment put aside for better graphics. I agree. Better graphics for five minutes out of 40-100+ hours is NOT worth it at all when the game sucks everywhere else.

3. Don't want to see certain characters left behind in the story while others stay in the spotlight.

4. Games like Tetra Master that have the most confusing rules known to man.

5. So many monster bosses. Why can't more of them be the same race as the main characters? That would be cool to me.

Caltrap
02-10-2004, 08:10 AM
ahem, cough cough. Gunblades are not stupid weapons. Versions of these were actually used in Japan for a very short while. (Then they discovered bigger guns)

KaiMcCloud
02-10-2004, 12:33 PM
List of demands 1) no guy/chick characters
2) no heavy plot twists the lifestreem saving the world at the end of ff vii just screwed my mind
and 3) NO, and that means NO, not under any circumstances, NO stupid silly only one summon character like FF IX and X that realy p:skull::skull::skull:ed me off

Iceglow
02-10-2004, 04:39 PM
I agree with the damn one summoner only stories they really wind me up as you pretty much are rendered to using that character in every battle

Flying Mullet
02-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Caltrap
ahem, cough cough. Gunblades are not stupid weapons. Versions of these were actually used in Japan for a very short while. (Then they discovered bigger guns)
And thus gun blades were stupid, that's why they quit using them.

crono_logical
02-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Evelia

Originally posted by Xander
Chick-guys are hot.
I agree. :)
My guess is the chick guys is Square quietly trying to increase their fanbase amongst the female crowd, since I'm pretty sure, especially for the older FFs, that it would have been more males interested in the games at the time they were about :p

Lord Chainsaw
02-10-2004, 06:31 PM
I'd like to see a female lead character who looks different.

That means no Yuna who is a clone of Garnet who is a clone of Rinoa who is a clone of Tifa when it comes to appearance.

Looks like I'm finally getting my wish in FFXII.

Flying Mullet
02-10-2004, 06:41 PM
I want the main characters to be butt-ugly, just for things to be different.

Reine
02-11-2004, 12:46 AM
No more Final Bosses like Yu Yevon, Chaos and the Emperor.

I would have given Chaos at least 10000 HP, since I attacked him once and did 4024 damage and killed him!

Final Fantasy games just keep getting worse....

The Man
02-11-2004, 01:19 AM
Almost all end bosses in FF games are killable in a ridiculously short amount of time. Kefka was. I'm pretty sure Ulty was. In fact it's quite possible that the only ones who actually pose any sort of challenge whatsoever are Zeromus and NeoExdeath. But who knows.

Edgar
02-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Hmm...

*Worlds with dozens of different species, like in FFIX
I'm fine with this. Actually, I'm sick of a all-human world =\

main characters in dresses (unless they're female) *cough* Cloud
:D

Annoying female royalty characters
*coughRINOAcough*

And thus gun blades were stupid, that's why they quit using them.
FFVIII is funny. If Gunblades are so darn good, why are swords still used?

4. Games like Tetra Master that have the most confusing rules known to man.
My luck is ridiculously terrible in TM, that's why I'm saddened to hear that TM is making another stand on FFXI.

5. So many monster bosses. Why can't more of them be the same race as the main characters? That would be cool to me.
And humans must not have HP like monsters. I mean, Suikoden series can do it and they are quite hard.

1. Characters that learn stuff by getting pummeled by it (i.e. enemy skill)
Which means no Blue Magic?

3. Don't want to see certain characters left behind in the story while others stay in the spotlight.
Me too :)

2. Gameplay/Story Development/CharacterDevelopment put aside for better graphics. I agree. Better graphics for five minutes out of 40-100+ hours is NOT worth it at all when the game sucks everywhere else.
It's like comparing BG2's isometric graphics (with leet story) with NWN's superior graphics (with crap story).

Not another Cid. God I hate the fact that they reuse him again and again.
What about Biggs and Wedge? and the Chocoboes? And the Mogris? And the Black Mages? And the White Mages? And...etc

and FFVIII.
w00t :)

Necron was easy too =\

EDIT: Bah, I reacted too much lol. Too much sourced based questions :P

The Man
02-11-2004, 03:47 PM
the main reason suikoden can get away with human enemies not having ridiculous hp is because they have good defense though. if square actually bothered making defense count more then they could get away with doing what suikoden does.

of course, expecting the human end boss to have the same amount of hp as your party is a bit ridiculous.

Iceglow
02-11-2004, 04:52 PM
what gets me is take a G-Soldier in FF8 their HP at level 13 - 144 yours at level 13 around 600 their damage caused at level 13 - 60 - 100 dependant on attack, yours - 200 - 500 dependant on attack The hell is that a challenge plus their slower than you

Flare_Star
02-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Personally, i thought that tetra master was really good.

what i wouldnt want though would be
a: lack of world maps
b: incredibaly easy final bosses
c: daggers
d: short game *cough*FFX*cough*
e: characters pulling swords out from nowhere

i could go on.

Lord Chainsaw
02-11-2004, 06:46 PM
I don't remember the Suikoden human bosses having low HP.

I remember Luca Blight to be one of the toughest boss fights of my life, and he had 6500 HP while each of my party members had about 250-400. The monster boss before him, the Harpy, had a few thousand HP less than Luca.

I do agree with Suikoden human bosses having insane defense though. I was doing half damage to Lucia and hits that would normally do 200 damage did 80 damage to Luca.

The Man
02-11-2004, 10:10 PM
it might be different in ii. i have it now, but haven't started playing it because i haven't finished the first one yet ;)

but yes, i like the fact that armor in suikoden actually DOES SOMETHING. whereas you can take atma weapon and whip kefka in like six turns or something (probably one if you genji+offering it)

6500 is pretty high by suikoden standards i guess (your party's hp maxes out at 999 right? i haven't been paying close enough attention), but i'm also under the impression that luca blight is a final boss (if he's not don't spoil me please). ;) i suppose exceptions should be made for final bosses; in fact more of an exception should have been made for kefka since unless you were hideously underleveled he was a pushover.

BG-57
02-13-2004, 01:30 AM
My suggestions:

1) Even though it's illogical, I like getting money from dead monsters. The SeeD ranking system was the only huge problem I had with FFVIII.

2) Stupid extended super duper summons that take eons to cast. What made the guys who made FFVII think I would enjoy watching the entire KOTR attack 20x when fighting Emerald? A cutoff button is much appreciated.

3) No forcing the party to follow a narrow timeline. I for one like the freedom of taking huge amounts of time just building up my parties.

Mo-Nercy
02-13-2004, 07:45 AM
e: characters pulling swords out from nowhere
Hell yea!