PDA

View Full Version : Magic the Gathering

Erdrick Holmes
02-04-2004, 12:07 AM
I love this game to death. Anyone else play? Describe your deck and your favourtie card (s)

My deck is a green/black elf/insect/troll combo, it's creature numbers multiply andgrow with time

and as for my favourite card, well heres a picture of it. It's in my deck.
http://www.findmagiccards.com/GF/USC/MTGC/MI/PLASURM1.jpeg

Advent Child
02-04-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Joel
I love this game to death. Anyone else play?
Nope.

Shoeberto
02-04-2004, 01:20 AM
I stopped playing a little bit before 8th was supposed to come out. I was never very good at it, but I had a black and blue deck that was good when I was teamed with someone - me and a friend got second place in a team tourney at a local shop last year with it.

Jebus
02-04-2004, 02:30 AM
Well you know I do. Plus I just owned your on apprentice. Bow before the might of the phantom horde.

Erdrick Holmes
02-04-2004, 02:33 AM
I had you on the ropes with my crypt Angel, you got lucky.

metCloud
02-04-2004, 02:50 PM
I havent played in a long time. I know ive got an awsome black and green deck around here somewhere...*must find it now*

edczxcvbnm
02-04-2004, 03:35 PM
I use to play...I stopped about when 5th edition came out.

My favorite card is City of Solitude. It makes it so that all abilities and spells can be used only during that players turn. What it does it makes the ability that Joel's card has useless to him unless it is his turn.

Maxico
02-04-2004, 05:02 PM
I never played it and I NEVER
ever
ever
want to

Shlup
02-04-2004, 08:50 PM
I played it a few times. It was lame and/or dull.

IlGreven
02-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Haters, the lot of you.

...I haven't played in a long while, though I keep up. When I can find players, I usually play a green super-super-speed deck...with creatures that cost far less than they should, with huge drawbacks (If I could find my Forces of Nature, I'd put them in there, too...)

Shoeberto
02-05-2004, 09:08 PM
One big thing I feel should be pointed out is that
ELF DECKS SUCK.

When I played, almost everybody at the local shop had elf decks. They'd have it loaded with Llanowar Elves and other mana producers, then Well Wishers and some other elf (the name evades me) that gave all of its controller's creatures +X/+X, where X was the total number of elves in play. (there was an instant that did the same thing) Those decks always pissed me off.

Anyway, continue.

Erdrick Holmes
02-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Well Wishersgive the owner 1 life for each elf in play. Goblins are good too, the cost only a few mana to play so you can get a good amount of them out in about 3 turns. And mosty of them have haste too. Trolls in the Mirrodin set are powerfull as hell.

escobert
02-06-2004, 02:40 AM
i have a green red black deck my fav cards are:
http://www.findmagiccards.com/Img/X43Z/IA/Lhurgoyf.jpeg
and http://www.irts.si/magic/html/reporti/strubeljptqzagrebreport/Obliterate.jpg

Rainecloud
02-06-2004, 07:31 AM
I played these card games when I was about five years old.

I don't play them any more.

Mo-Nercy
02-06-2004, 09:38 AM
I hate Magic...so....much....

I've had my taste of it. IMO, it's very lame.

Not to mention that it's a complete waste of money. The only thing that wastes more hard-earned cash is Warhammer, which I also loathe. :D

I should stop now. About 5 years ago, I bad mouthed Magic during lunch hour and got hit in the shin by a glass Coke bottle.

Skogs
02-06-2004, 10:49 AM
I used to play loads, but at senior school no one was interested, and here at college only scary people play it. Which is a shame. I'll probably end up selling off most of my cards, except for my green deck. It's centred around using mana producers and Patterns of Rebirth on sacrificable creatures to get out Thorn Elementals and Child or Gaeas. Blanchwood Armors and Rancors buff them up further. It can usually deal out about 20 damage by turn five or six.

EDIT:// Fixed card misnomer and added a few of my favourite cards.

http://www.brainburst.com/db/search_result_card.asp?id=6217
http://www.brainburst.com/db/search_result_card.asp?id=6259
http://www.brainburst.com/db/search_result_card.asp?id=6234
http://www.brainburst.com/db/search_result_card.asp?id=6186
http://www.brainburst.com/db/search_result_card.asp?id=6797

ZeZipster
02-07-2004, 08:04 PM
MTG is definitly the most strategic game out today, which makes it boring at times. I like it better than Yu-Gi-Oh which is basically the inverse of MTG because it's all luck... MTG is basically a VERY unique variation of Chess, I guess it's like DND + CHESS + Old Star Wars TCG. I don't like many aspects of the game, such as the fact that it's one gigantic wait-fest because you have to take EVERY THING in to account if you want to win, which'll winde up driving you insane if you miss something. I didn't play much casual play decks, I started off against Tier 2 winning decks when I first got in to it (which taught me a lot, about getting royally pounded), it was a very aggresive atmosphere. I remember my first clerics deck versus a blue deck, which was an automatic lose, then I remember going up against goblins which was an automatic win (clerics are lifegain, goblins take advantage of speed and being able to kill fast. Blue is decking and so my life gain was useless). My friend who got me and a friend in to the game had a couple of old decks than owned us and told us about a real MTG player, some one who won a lot of tournies, he had a Astral Slide deck that owned us 100% of the time. When I ran an Astral Slide deck (it was white w/ splashed red) the game got incredibly boring. It was always I destroy their armada, get my own, cycle my own out, destroy their army again, I then pound them. If I ever got in to MTG again, I'd probably use a casual Blue decking deck, so I wouldn't lose so bad to tournament winning decks but still had fun against a casual play deck. Or maybe goblins, goblins are always great...

http://www.brainburst.com/db/search_result_card.asp?id=10753

"It takes a dedicated mind to bring about the greatest destruction. That, or Goblins---Goblins work, too."

The Unholy Arcmage
02-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Yeah I play! my fav. card is bottle of suliman(sp?) and my deck is an all artifact deck.

The Unholy Arcmage
02-09-2004, 09:21 PM
oh and heres a pic
http://www.essentialmagic.com/cards/ViewCard.asp?ID=2024

eestlinc
02-22-2004, 12:43 AM
Bottle of Suleiman? heh.

I love the game but I haven't played since about 1996. All I have are a bunch of old good cards that they won't let you play with anymore, but they are still fun. The best decks are white/blue decks. I make people hate to play me though. My favorite deck was my Collosus or Sardia/Mana Vault deck. Heh.

Behold the Void
03-01-2004, 05:12 AM
Avid player. Let's see, I only have type one decks, but here they are...

Red/Green Beast Deck, some burn such as lightning bolts and incinerates since beasts tend to be a bit expensive to play.

White/Blue Anti-Color Deck. This one is the deck from hell, I have a bunch of creatures with protection from colors, and I play things like Seight of Minds and Mind Bends in order to change their protection to what I need. Then I play the card Pariah which makes all damage go to them. If I'm playing a green and blue deck, for example, I change my Paladin En Vec to protection from green and blue, then I Pariah him. Then you sit there and watch me slap you with my white weenies.

For those who like Magic, may I suggest Legend of the Five Rings. It is by Wizards, as is Magic, and is a step up in strategy in complexity, with special rules for mutliplayer, two decks, etc.. The backdrop is a Japanese fantasy setting, with numerous clans and creatures to use. Quite a fun game.

black orb
03-01-2004, 05:44 AM
>>> I never understood that game..
By the way Yugioh is all about strategy too, the only games based on luck are those that appear in the anime show, fakeness..

Maxico
03-01-2004, 05:01 PM
All card games are just, BLAH.

Exept of course poker. so....

All themed card games are just, BLAH.

Black Mage
03-01-2004, 09:37 PM
I used to play a lot more often, but I still play occasionally.

But, that's not to say I'm good.

I sport a Blue/Green deck, with plenty of counters and worms. Feh.

xenapan
03-11-2004, 05:36 PM
im playing tourney level astral-glide. post mirrodin legal T2. then again... im working on a modular deck for darksteel... dont know if i can get to the tourneys tho >_< dang school

SpiritWolf
03-11-2004, 11:21 PM
I don't have any cards except for one that a friend gave me, but my Cousin and I play it every summer with his cards.

d20{fx}
03-15-2004, 05:29 AM
man Magic is the greatest card game around.
trust me ive just about played them all.

Garland
03-15-2004, 05:45 AM
I haven't played in years, but when I did, I had a red only, direct damage deck. It had lots of mana inflating cards, and a bunch of cards that dealt X damage according to how much mana you tapped. It was good at the time. My only other deck was a white weenie deck with lots of 1 mana creatures. My hand was almost always empty with that deck. Still, as good as it was, I couldn't be bothered to keep up with the expansions, and gave my cards away.

Omega_x
03-15-2004, 06:22 AM
I played yu-gi-oh against my nine year old sister.
needless to say, she owned my a**, then proceeded to talk smack.

after that bad card game experience, I just decided to stick with video games.

KingAlces
03-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Magic really was an excellent game, and it probably still is a lot of fun. The main problem with it is the flaw that comes with all collectible card games: He who spends the most money and buys the most cards builds the better decks.

Case in point:

As a deckbuilder and cardplayer, I was actually fairly good. Then I taught all my friends to play in 6th grade, and they in turn taught all their friends. In the end, however, I began losing constantly because I didn't have the amount or variety of cards that my friends were able to afford. I eventually just stopped buying cards altogether in 1998.

What I did find that had some of this same appeal but undid this particular flaw was the Settlers of Catan Card Game Expansions. With these expansions, everyone owned the same set of cards, so it was a real challenge to customize a deck for a very precise strategy out of the same card-pool.

d20{fx}
03-20-2004, 02:24 AM
Magic really was an excellent game, and it probably still is a lot of fun. The main problem with it is the flaw that comes with all collectible card games: He who spends the most money and buys the most cards builds the better decks.

not exactly.with some of the new sets you could build a deck full of commons and still hope to beat some other decks.
of course in the new sets the rare have gotten a lot stronger as well so it sort of evens out.