PDA

View Full Version : Darn those unknown toolbars!

Rostum
02-05-2004, 06:00 AM
I'm currently running Internet Explorer (don't laugh at me, and I'm NOT going to use any other browers so I don't care what you're view on I.E is... so shoosh up!).

Anyways, there's this toolbar that just started comming up (attached a picture below of it) recently, it's quite annoying since it keeps comming up even though I disable it. I can't find an uninstall for it, I can't find it at all on my computer and my AdAware hasn't detected it, neither has my Norton Anti-virus (Making sure it's not a virus of some sorts). Please help me.

crono_logical
02-05-2004, 06:07 AM
That's what happens if you refuse to use something other than IE, so you're being silly really saying you want to stick with it and not deal with possible messy situations at the same time :p

Anyway, if Adaware/Spybot S&D fail to detect it after you've updated them, then you're stuck with searching through the registry with a bit of brains to see where that program has hooked itself into the system and extract filenames to delete in that manner :p

Rostum
02-05-2004, 08:35 AM
So I'm silly because I don't want to use other web browsers? I said specificaly not to say such things... who cares what the hell I use? I just wanted a clear cut answer, that's what the help forums are for anyways right?

I'll have a look through the registry.

eternalshiva
02-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Mine has the same thing, I just ignore it. it keeps coming back even after I deleted the files, it reattaches itself and I have to go through the same thing. *sigh*

crono_logical
02-05-2004, 12:01 PM
It's beacuse you guys are being reactive, not proactive :D

eternalshiva
02-05-2004, 12:03 PM
*meh* *is too lazy to care*

Endless
02-05-2004, 12:06 PM
- Did you install anything before it showed up?
- Make sure you update the definitions of adaware and spybot s&d

Psychotic
02-05-2004, 12:33 PM
IE rules! :p But yeah, I have that same thing too. It's called "iccyoofvfvk" or something like that.

I used some adware stuff or whatever to find it, but it still remains. I also did a search for iccyoofvfvk but no luck. The best thing to do is right click on the toolbar and unselect it, and after a few pages where it reappears and you have to disable it, it will disappear, until you next load up your computer

Dr Unne
02-05-2004, 04:21 PM
What is the point of asking for help if you already know the answer but refuse to listen to it? If your question is "I use IE and I refuse to use anything else, now make it good", the answer is "Suffer". Use Adaware to temporarily clean up the spyware, until you get it again, which you likely will. Pray that Adaware doesn't delete anything important and ruin IE / some other program you use. Spyware often comes as part of shareware/adware you download, but sometimes you can get it just by looking at certain websites; if you can figure out which program / website is infecting you and stop using it, that'll help you in the long run (unless you refuse to stop using those programs and websites too, in which case I don't know what to say). Meanwhile enjoy your popups and ad-banners and security holes.

Cid
02-05-2004, 07:16 PM
I have the solution. And you can stay with IE. http://www.avantbrowser.com/

It's great.

Rostum
02-06-2004, 05:20 AM
It was when I installed a trial version of Nero Burning Rom and the sorts... (BTW it's a crappy program).

Thanks Cid. ^^

Endless
02-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Nero never came with any spyware. I don't know about other programs though. Diskjuggler doesn't have spyware either.
Personally, I use Nero 5.5.10.42, it does everything I need it to do, and it does it just dandy.

Peegee
02-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Nero doesn't have spyware, does it? It certainly doesn't have some weird IE toolbar :P

crono_logical
02-06-2004, 05:57 PM
It doesn't, no :p I think he said Nero just to pretend IE isn't at fault :D

Endless
02-06-2004, 06:49 PM
I've been using IE for years without getting anything, and I've still to get one of these toolbars.

Rostum
02-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Sorry, what I meant was it started comming up around the same time as I installed Nero. Don't blame me if your precious progam did it.

Nero sucks compared to what I have anyways.

Peegee
02-07-2004, 08:24 AM
Nero is superior to all imo

crono_logical
02-07-2004, 09:25 AM
I don't like Nero at all myself, so yeah :p Probably a matter of taste, I dunno, but it does nothing I can't do with other software, and I don't like the interface :p

Baloki
02-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Step one in finding out where something came from:

Click one of the options on the toolbar and see where it takes you, then maybe you can find out what it is?

Or does that seem wayyyyy to obvious and won't work?

Rostum
02-09-2004, 05:44 AM
I know my way around a computer... I've tried everything.

Anyways this Avant Browser seems nice so far.

Cid
02-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Avant is superior to all imo