PDA

View Full Version : This is my favorite game in the series

Renaiide
02-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Its just so emotional and great. I know many dislike it for the love story, but I just found it to captivate me. When I got the game for Christmas in 1999, I couldn't put it down until I had finished it. And that was such a tear jerker ending. I'm a wuss, yeah... but who cares?! I loved this video game, it was just the best. I've played FF7 many times, the one that I really do believe caused FF to go mainstream since I really hadn't heard of FF before, and I've played FF9, X, X-2, and the games in Anthology and Origins many times as well. But I always come back to FF8, I can just always enjoy this game in every single way.

PeTeRL90
02-07-2004, 03:53 PM
"And that was such a tear jerker ending. I'm a wuss, yeah... but who cares"

There's nothing wrong with crying to a game. I got choked up at the end of Lufia II.

Anyways, personally, though I'm the romantic type of guy, I really wasn't interested into a plot like this. I mean sure, it got really emotional at times, but I only found myself playing through it just once.

Aphelion
02-17-2004, 06:46 PM
I hated this game. Really. Because of GFs, because of the story, because of the characters, i hated this game.

BG-57
02-17-2004, 07:32 PM
It's safe to say that opinion is sharply divided about this game.

I suspect a large reason is because it's such a departure from the other FF games that came before (and after) it.

And I think Square has to keep trying new things. Once they stop coming up with innovative ideas they won't be the leaders in RPG's.

Personally I enjoyed this game more than almost any other FF game (except maybe Tatics). The SeeD rank system was annoying but I liked everything else. :)

American Badass
02-18-2004, 03:56 AM
Oh there is a lot more bad in this game than there is good.

Silent Warrior
02-19-2004, 10:53 AM
BG-57: Actually, I dare say that Black Isle were the leaders in CRPG-development, until Interplay butchered the lot. Make a game like Planescape Torment, and you're second to none in the RPG-world. With NWN and KotOR, Bioware seems hellbent on filling the gap.
I don't mind so much that it 'departs' from the mainstream FF that the dialogue is almost as bad as Anakin's lines in Attack of the Clones. Yes, I pray it's a translation-issue - otherwise it would declare a large section of videogaming-world silly. (As a sidenote, I fished out some dude's source-code for a utility to hack into FF8 and *cough* alter some stuff. Has anyone been able to compile it? I... need to increase my FF8-experience.)

American Badboy: AGREE.

Peegee
02-19-2004, 10:56 AM
FF7 > FF8. In fact I'd say FF7 is the best of the 'new age' FF's.

SeeDRankLou
02-19-2004, 09:12 PM
FF8>>>>>>>>FF7 (just my opinion). I love this game. I would not call either of those two games the best of the "new age" FFs however. This is a wonderful game, I found very little wrong with it. I like the departure from mainstream, it showed that Squaresoft still had some originality in them. Love the characters, love the story, love the gameplay, love it. I've probably played this FF more times than any of the eleven that I've played.

Aphelion
02-23-2004, 04:58 PM
FF9>>FF7>>FF8. FF7 and 9 at least have a storyline.

rigell
02-25-2004, 03:32 AM
In the new age final fantasies, i think that ff7 probably had the plot that made the most sense, but i will have to disagree with dark dragon knight when he says that 9 has more of a plot that 8. I think that 8 held it together pretty well throughout the entire game, it got a little sketchy with the time compression stuff, but so do all games that deal with time travel. 9 i have a problem with, the game went along so well, everything was going fine until they just decide to throw the crystal in at the very last moment of the game. I don't remember them talking about it hardly at all in the game, and another thing i don't understand, when you defeat trance Kuja, why do i fight a gigantic robot-looking thing? my friend told me that it was the essence of the crystal, but i am still confused why squaresoft did what they did at the end of ff9. well, whatever, i guess all of the final fantasies have their plot-holes but who cares? i thought they were all great.......except maybe 6 (that game drove me insane at times)

Lamia
02-27-2004, 03:59 PM
I cried at the end of X. Heh.

SeeDRankLou
03-01-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Lamia
I cried at the end of X. Heh.

Well really, who didn't, or didn't at least feel like it? That was just sad.

DocFrance
03-01-2004, 02:25 AM
I didn't.

Marcus
03-01-2004, 08:12 PM
I can't wait to play X now... =)

I dunno... I enjoy 8, just as much as I enjoyed 7.. It's different, but just as fun for me. But then again, FF7 is pure crap when compared to FF6. In my opinion, anyway..

FF8 is an above average game anyway. Maybe not the best in the series, but certainly a good game compared to other stuff that's lying on the shelves these days..

You are allowed to hate a Final Fantasy. But it sure beats playing Counterstrike all fricking day.

Still haven't finished FF8 by the way, I just bumped the Garden into that Fishermans place, and that movie where the garden almost floats into that old man with the fishing rod is PURE GOLD. FF8 has great movies... Not only quality-wise... Even if FF7 had state of the art 987345-bit 3D-rendered FMVs, FF8 still has better movies...

So there. =D

nicksdancingmonkey
03-04-2004, 06:08 PM
8 is by far my favourite in the series, the squall-seifer rivalry is amazing and its the most immersing for young people because all of your party is of similar age so you getwell involved with the school like camaraderie.
The Squall- Rinoa saga is to die for. I luv this stuff!!

Rand Al'Tor
03-04-2004, 07:30 PM
I like VIII as well. VII comes in close second. VI is not bad, but MILES behind either of them. IV and V are yet more miles behind VI (but finished them, so they must've been doing SOMETHING right) X is somewhere between VII and VI (still have to finish it, so who knows what'll happen) IX.... I'm still undecided about IX.

And while the backstory of all the characters in VII was good, and I must admit better than VIII's 'we're all from the same orphanage' thingy, the characters of VII seemed a bit too..;. 'larger than life' to really 'live' to me. Vincent is a prime example. It's a REALLY nice story, but somehow, my heart bled more for Zell when Squall 'dissed' him than it ever bled for Vinnie....

I guess it's a personal thing. Different things work for different people, and you can't really say any FF is 'best' You can only say they are 'better for ME' or 'better for YOU'

It is not just 'new school VS old school' though. Point in case, I have yet to find the Final Fantasy that can make me forget Chrono Trigger. Same tech level about as FFVI, but between FFVI and CT, TO ME AND MY TASTES, there is simply no contest.

Cloudane
03-05-2004, 12:43 AM
FFVIII: The Marmite of SquareSoft
(Either love it or hate it, nothing in between)
(Unless you're me)

Nice to see a positive post about something (Especially FF8) on a forum, it doesn't happen that often :)

DJZen
03-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Actually, Cloudane, I also have mixed feelings about the game, though in the opposite way of most people. I really liked the combat and junction systems, but I found the story abysmal. I had lots of fun tweaking stats, but watching Squall ignore Rinoa for like 12 hours then suddenly fall madly in love with her for no reason really hurt my brain a lot. I know a lot of people really liked that plot line, but personally I couldn't stand it. It didn't help that the translation made for an awkward read, but ah well.

SomethingBig
03-06-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by SeedRankLou
Well really, who didn't, or didn't at least feel like it? That was just sad.
I seriously burst out laughing cuz of the way Yuna fell.

I thought FFVIII was a darn good game. I hated it the first time because my friend kept bragging about how he had FFIX and he kept bashing FFVIII, which caused me to actually believe that it was a bad game. When I started playing it again, I loved it just as much as 7. I couldn't put the game down, either, Renaiide. I felt like crying at the end, too. Don't feel bad! (^_^)

FinalDreamer
03-18-2004, 06:57 AM
All final Fantasys are the best ..

The Captain
03-20-2004, 06:52 AM
All opinions are justified as they are: opinions. We're all welcome to have them, but it's hard to debate someone's opinion as wrong, or incorrect.

I loved this game because it had much mroe going on then some of the other games. I usually prefer more fantastical games, but FF8 was a pleasant change of pace in that it went for much more realism, and in my opinion, succeeded.

I enjoyed the plot thoroughly and connected very well with many of the characters. Having gone through the experience of being unsure of love, of not being able to express my feelings at first, and then finally letting it all out, this plot was certainly the most captivating for me.

Also, the music was top notch, but the orchestrated versions of the music... I'm beyond words. Pure poetry of sound. Yes, yes, they weren't part of the game, but the songs themselves were from the game, so I classify them as having to do with FF8 and these orchestrations alone make FF8 my favorite.

Take care all.

DJZen
03-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by FinalDreamer
All final Fantasys are the best ..

Have you played FFII?

Penance99999
03-21-2004, 11:24 AM
I posted this but my thread got locked. I should have read this first and posted what I wanted say here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would like say what a great game FF8 was.

This game is the one that got me into the FF series. I first got hooked by its great graphics, CG scenes and card game. Then I began to like the story, the characters, the battle system etc.

I never get sick of FF8. I have replayed it about 5 times now. Every playthrough is fun and also more rewarding than the last.

So let me say, Thanks Square, for making this brilliant game which got me hooked into the series!

whoamitidus
03-21-2004, 09:07 PM
ffVIII is my least fav of them all my fav is ffx-2

The Nique
03-23-2004, 01:26 AM
What I find so interesting about FFVIII, and well, all sqaure-enix games, is that their FMVs are kind of ahead of the times, as it were. Yeah, the in-game graphics of 8 suffered in certain areas, although the vast imporvment over 7 was very apparent...

But anyway... cut-scenes. The only RPG to beat ffVIII's movies was FFX (IX was about the same quality, if not exactly the same) And not even a game as graphically supieror as Xenosaga has better movie scenes than 8 did. Playable graphics have come a long way, so improvent in that aspect is expected, but the cutscenes... sqaure just does it right ways, all the time! ^_^

DJZen
03-23-2004, 03:33 AM
*bangs head into desk*

I'm really sorry and I'm not trying to flame here, but I'm hearing a lot of praise for the eye candy. Come on, people, FMVs are about as essential to RPGs as good singing is to Radiohead. Doesn't anyone like the gameplay? I thought the junctioning system was fun once you figured out what the heck you were doing. Actually, it wasn't even too difficult. It had a funky learning curve but it really did spell things out for you. *sigh* this is why it scares me that I'm considered old school by some...

eninen525
03-23-2004, 06:23 AM
i think some of the people who like ff7 the most is because that was the first ff that they played. it's distinctness from other games made them enjoy it a lot. when trying other ff games, due to great change ff7 brought about them, they refused to let it be replaced by any other ff.
well .. i like ff8 for that reason. it was the first one i played and TRIED playing the other ff's but just couldnt adapt. i played ffx for a couple hours, ff9 for one hour, and ff7 for fourteen hours. ive played ff8 for hundreds of hours. when i have time ill start on the other ff's most likely VII next then IX

The Nique
03-23-2004, 08:09 AM
I hate this forum. Everytime I reply... it logs me out. Except, ...wait for it...

this time.

Seriously, I wrote a whole freakin; essay on why ff8 is the greatest, and before I remembered to copy the text, I hit reply, and guess what? "YOU AREN'T BLOODY LOGGED IN MATE! GOOD FREAKIN' LUCK NEXT TIME THOUGH!!!!1!!one!!!!!!"

Is this a reocuring problem I should know about, or does the internet just hate me?

Penance99999
03-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Maybe you should edit your profile. Then go to options or something. You can set it to automatically login every time you come to this site.

Del Murder
03-25-2004, 11:00 PM
Your browser might not have cookies enabled.

Trumpet Thief
03-26-2004, 03:38 AM
FF8 is my favorite game...

The Captain
03-27-2004, 08:36 AM
"I hate this forum. Everytime I reply... it logs me out. Except, ...wait for it...

this time.

Seriously, I wrote a whole freakin; essay on why ff8 is the greatest, and before I remembered to copy the text, I hit reply, and guess what? "YOU AREN'T BLOODY LOGGED IN MATE! GOOD FREAKIN' LUCK NEXT TIME THOUGH!!!!1!!one!!!!!!"

Is this a reocuring problem I should know about, or does the internet just hate me?"

That most certainly puts a dampener on my day when that occurs with me, though it's happened only twice. To be frank, more often than not, it's not much to get angry about, but I do certainly understand how frustrating it must be.

However, I'd say your praise for the game goes beyond any typed essay because you actually got angry that you couldn't list all your reasons, and that in and of itself would seem to convey a great love for the game. Video games are usually sources for entertainment, but when emotions get mixed in, that's when you KNOW you've found a game that you'll always keep close to you.

Take care all.

The Nique
03-27-2004, 07:48 PM
All too true. I may essay it up again sometime in the near future... but man... it sure did take a long time...

But yes, the game does have a certain emotional pull on me... It's one that took a while to develop, I might add...

TasteyPies
05-22-2004, 06:46 PM
And if you think FF8 is the best, try playing every other one. Like V. V is better than VIII, hands down. X is the only one worse. -King Bahamut

I have all but ff11 (which costs around $130) and ff8 is the best!

Trumpet Thief
05-24-2004, 04:36 AM
No offense, but I cannot believe anyone could have FFX-2 as their favorite game. FF8 was my favorite, and I am glad someone made a thread about it.

Rusty
05-24-2004, 09:25 AM
I absolutley love FF8..the best ever!

SeeDRankLou
05-24-2004, 06:51 PM
No offense, but I cannot believe anyone could have FFX-2 as their favorite game. FF8 was my favorite, and I am glad someone made a thread about it.

Hey, people are entitled to their own opinions. I personally can see how someone would FFX-2 as their best. And yes, with all the "I hate FF8" threads, it's nice to see one to the opposite. I love this game as well.

Laguna
05-24-2004, 07:23 PM
Eight was the best game i ever played! The series went downhill from there onward....oh well!

For the record- eight rocks! WOO!

Mr. Graves
05-24-2004, 08:39 PM
FF8 has it's strengths, that lie in it's uniqueness. Having bought this game about a year after it's release, it was different from FF7, and not a bad game. I liked the way you could obtain different weapons, and the card game and how it tied in with the gameplay. Everything has a purpose, it seems. Unlike, say, FF9, which has a bunch of unnecessary extras put it to amuse long-time FF players.

aeris2001x2
05-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Have you played FFII?

to all the ff8 haters, seriously, i dont rate ff8 that high (i think its 6th or sumthin overall) but open your eyes to the utter horror that is ff2. u may slate ff8 for characterts which is fair enough, i do it to except for squall, but ff2 is the only other ff in which the characters were supposed to have personalities but didnt. and ff8 is shakespeare compared to ff2.

sorry if i sound condescending but i really think the ff hating should go to ff2. i,m gonna open an ff2 slating forum now.

Trumpet Thief
05-26-2004, 02:49 AM
Off Topic: Sorry 'bout that SeedRankLou, but I seriously hated that game. IMO FFX would have been better without a sequel.

Anyways, FFVIII, FFVII, and FFVI are my favorite FInal Fantasies. FFVIII's junction system was very reqarding if you undrestood it, and it made it mandatory to use GF's and Magic, thus making it a good game. Also, I loved the characters. I felt close to them, and understood how they felt. Just my opinion though.

kikimm
06-26-2004, 06:54 AM
is there some sort of bias where the first ff you play is automatically your favorite? it seems to be that way, more often than not. FF8 was my first one, and it's the best game I've ever played in my entire life. Perfect. Absolutely perfect. I want to see more Squall-like characters in the FF serires. Don't get me wrong, I love Tidus to death, but I want to see more unhappy, brooding characters. The characters are what really made this game for me. The first time I played the game, I rushed through the battles WAY too quickly just so I could se what the hell was gonna happen next. Surprisingly, not one of the characters in it bothered me. I thought that Selphie would, but no. Squall and Irvine are my absolute favorites.......I think I'll shut up now.

:D