PDA

View Full Version : Earthbound

Giggles
02-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Discuss Earthbound (since it's a great game).

What were your characters' names?

What was your favorite part?

Did you love the music and backgrounds?

What did you think of the enemies?

etc., etc.

MecaKane
02-08-2004, 08:20 PM
The one time I did beat it:
Ness - Doom
Paula - Ally
Jeff - Grem
Poo - Spiff
Having Doom as Ness made for an amazingly awesome final battle with Gigas.
:D (http://thehighwind.hypermart.net/Kane/DOOM.jpg)

Del Murder
02-08-2004, 09:13 PM
I don't remember my characters' names because it was a long time ago. The game certainly was fun. I remember fighting those damn gold aliens trying to get a Sword of Kings for hours. Never got one :(.

PeTeRL90
02-08-2004, 10:31 PM
I can't remember the names of my characters, but it really was a fun game. I thought the whole plot was just awesome, and I thought it was even better with all the humor tossed in it.

Though it's not my favorite game, it's still one of my favorites.

Giggles
02-09-2004, 06:05 AM
In trying to remember my characters' names, I came up with these:

Ness: Tyler
Paula: Abby
Jeff: Stu
Poo: Poo

Yes, that sounds about right.

Anyway, I love this game. I was...enchanted! I think the music is great, and I always end up singing along, sometimes. Sometimes I got really distracted the the backgrounds in fights. The enemies were awesome, with names like: Mole Playing Rough. Ah, the good old days of Earthbound. What an a amazing game :D~

crono_logical
02-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Eh, it was okayish :p Not something I'd want to play though again though, once is enough :p

m4tt
02-09-2004, 02:10 PM
http://www.kingd0rk.com/earthbound.html

I haven't played it in a long time, but that's the last game I've played. I still have it saved on my computer. I just need to get the @#&!@ broken antena or whatever for Jeff so he can make his ultimate weapon. :(

Doomgaze
02-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Best game ever.

Anyway, I always use the default character names :p

Lord Chainsaw
02-09-2004, 11:58 PM
Earthbound is a game I'll never forget.

It was just so much fun.

I REALLY need to give it another play through. I was going for a perfect file but gave up when I couldn't get the Gutsy Bat. That part is crazy. You need to go through the entire Magicent level up until the Krakens. At that point you have THREE SHOTS to get a 1/255 win item from a kraken. If you don't get it, reset and do the level over.

I never got that bat. I did get the Sword of Kings though, it took about an hour fighting those starmen.

Great game, my favorite parts were the mall in Fourside, Summer, and the Brick Road Golem.

Some of the stuff from the game I'll never forget like that sign that says "about 70% of people go right at a dungeon intersection" whereas if you go right you continue the level, but if you go left you are treated with a rest stop.

Wonderful game that IS getting another playthrough along with Illusion of Gaia this summer.

escobert
02-10-2004, 01:16 AM
Whats Earthbound?

Giggles
02-11-2004, 06:23 AM
That made me very, very sad, Bert.

Strider
02-11-2004, 06:48 AM
That's a game I always meant to play and never actually got around to doing so. :(

The Man
02-11-2004, 03:41 PM
bert loses five more points in indie cred

I played it once and never got aroudn to finishing it because I got my ps2 when I was halfway through it. It was great though. One of these days I'll finish it off.

Used the default character names, yup.

Dingo Jellybean
02-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Earthbound was one of the greatest games of all time.

I liked the music, the gameplay, the environment the game set and the longevity of the game. Not many RPGs can be that entertaining for that long...and Earthbound certainly fits that bill.

I always liked the boss music...I kinda groove out to it. :/

escobert
02-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Now that I think about it I may have heard of it....Not sure. Back when I actually played console games I only played square games. So, I didn't No too many games out side of that.

Doomgaze
02-13-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by The Man
bert loses five more points in indie cred

I don't think you're allowed to have negative indie cred.

The Man
02-14-2004, 01:58 AM
Valid point.

FEOK
02-14-2004, 09:26 PM
I haven't played that game in forever. The last time I played it was when I went for an FF6 theme, [Ness= Locke, Paula= Celes, Jeff= Edgar, Poo= Cyan] I might play it after I'm done with FFMQ and FF3j.

The Man
02-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Earthbound is so much better than FFMQ it's ridiculous.

Lord Chainsaw
02-16-2004, 04:28 AM
I don't know if it's better than Mystic Quest, that game is pretty good.

But it is better than FF3j though by far.

Wrexsoul
02-17-2004, 10:59 PM
Square must have spoiled me, 'cause I just couldn't get myself to like Earthbound. Throughout the beginning I just couldn't help but think how cheesy the game was. I didn't stick to it for long at all. Battles were frustrating; it also weirded me out that you could find a cheeseburger in a trash can. And then keep it.

............ *runs*

Erdrick the Hero
02-19-2004, 02:02 PM
i think is was COOL that you could find a hamburger in the trash can and keep it.

i also liked the scrolling life feature, aka, if you kill the guy fast enough, you survive even if you get hit with a 300 hit when you have 40 hp. it was like a race to see who could a) heal b) bring on the burnatation and kill the enemy.

don't remember the game but i remeber snagging it from Ebay and being a very happy boy

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-22-2004, 12:44 AM
All I remember is that I named the dog BOU.

Lord Chainsaw
02-25-2004, 06:43 PM
I remember some of those enemies were just CLASSIC!

My favorites were The Unassuming Local Guy, The New Age Retro Hippie, The Mole Playing Rough, and the Criminal Caterpillar.

Some of those attacks were priceless, too.

"New Age Retro Hippie flashes his shiny white teeth at you" and you are paralyzed by how stunningly white they are.

"Coffee cup spills scalding hot coffee on you" Which hurt a whole lot, by the way.

I also liked the eraser eraser. That was funny. I DIDN't like the diamond dog. That guy was really tough with his instant death attacks.

So many great parts in that game. This summer I'll start an Earthbound run again.

Vaan
05-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Sadly, I've only played the rom, but Earthbound is the funniest game I have ever played. Remember the blue Ku Klux Klanners? Oh my god that game was something else. One thing that was so suprisingly good was the translation; it was perfect! Now excuse me, I must check out eBay.