PDA

View Full Version : Gameshark-ing Characters

StormyV
02-09-2004, 05:33 PM
I was trying to use the gameshark to alter the game's characters and make Locke and Imp, Edgar General Leo, Shoadow a Ghost and so on when I noticed that I must be doing something horribly wrong.

Question, should these codes be used when starting a new game only?

I was just wondering if someone who had better luck with this could give me a few pointers. Thanks.

CloudDragon
02-10-2004, 03:42 AM
Most gamesharks with modifying characters in this game have turned out to have a lot of bad effects and glitches. I think it all depends on whatever kind of luck you have with it.

The Man
02-10-2004, 01:30 PM
It's probably possible to gameshark it if you know exactly what you're doing, but unfortunately I don't. All the character information is saved in the save file, I believe; I can only presume that the sprite information is included in this. Judging from that, I'd assume that it's possible to alter the sprite information of an individual character, but how exactly you'd do that is anybody's guess.

crono_logical
02-10-2004, 04:18 PM
Yes, the sprite used and the character's portrait manu is stored in the save game, so if you're using an emulator, you can easily hack the save file :p

I was once bored enough to actually go through the hex code in the save data and mapped what each byte represented (July 2001 according to the timestamps on the files) :p I never finished out working out what every single bit represented though, but I did get quite a large amount done taking into account mapping duplication for most characters, plus mapping duplication for each save slot :p Plus I worked out what the values at many of these locations stood for in the game as well :p

I'll attach how much I did get manage to get done, if anyone's interested in looking at the save data layout :p

robfinalfantasy
02-10-2004, 11:36 PM
You should try changing their commands rather than the character as a whole. You can give Edgar the Shock command for example and so on.

StormyV
02-11-2004, 03:23 AM
True. Chaning the commands is much easier, since you can't change the equipment with some of those characters.

Ah well.

ForeverZeroUltima
02-13-2004, 02:25 AM
i might add, that, the guys who made Awful FFIII were able to change the commands, too :D