PDA

View Full Version : Does Cheating Make if Fun?

Rampala
02-11-2004, 05:39 AM
Since I think it's safe to say everyone here plays some sort of game, whether RPG, RST, online, offline, etc., I thought it might be a good crowd of people to ask. If you go to a search engine to look for tips or help on a game, I guarentee you'll get plenty of sites with cheats on them. Okay, so people cheat, what's the big deal?

Okay, first off, what qualifies as cheating? Is using a walkthrough cheating? Having your friend help you out? Or do you have to actually input some sort of cheat code or hack to actually be cheating? Technically, when I used walkthroughs I thought it was cheating. A low level type, but cheating nevertheless. Sometimes you get stuck, so you need a little help.

With cheat codes, you're outright giving yourself abilities in the game you would not normally have. For example in the game Glover, N64, I found it impossible to win even with cheats. But cheats included abnormally large life, opening future levels without completing pre-requisites, etc.

Now let's talk hacks. I know D2 best for hacks; Example- Maphack. With maphack the entire map is lit up and all the areas already marked on the minimap, obvously giving an unfair advantage. (Some people deny this is actually cheating, but, it is.)

Cheating, cheating. Big deal? Well, in single player games you're only affecting yourself. In online games, like D2, you can actually screw up the entire online economy by duplicating items, etc.

That aside, even if you weren't "hurting" anyhow, I don't quite understand why people cheat? I mean, at least when I play the FF games, I do it completely on my own the first time through if possible, and maybe the second time look up some hints online for additional help or side quests I missed. But, why cheat? In D2, why use Maphack? Why have a bot play for you for hours on end and get you tons of good items and then use them? Where's the fun in that? You didn't earn it...

Does cheating make games more fun? Or at least in certain instances? I know when I played the Sims the worst thing I ever did was learn the cheat that gave you unlimited money. It completely ruined the game for me, there was no game anymore, I could have everythign I needed without actually playing. No challenge.

I thought games were fun because they were challenging, and cheating removes the challenge. Hence, how is it fun?

...just a thought?

Casey
02-11-2004, 05:45 AM
Yes it is does make games fun. It only makes it fun when you've been playing it along time, like for example diablo2 expansion, there used to be a program called ''map hack'' which shows the whole act map and people say its cheating but to people playing the game itself for a long time its not. Its just handy.

DeathIsMyFreedom
02-11-2004, 05:57 AM
Been there done that, Yes haveing a friend help u is considerd cheating, if you cant do it yourself its that of a cheat, but then again it also makes the game more fun, u dont have to focus on the other and can go further with out being pissed(or like me socking walls cause of bull lol) But it ruins the replayability...cheats are fun when u dont take seriusly in other words.

Caltrap
02-11-2004, 07:34 AM
Here's a little question I'd like an answer to. The only cheats I ever use are ones that like change the characters appearance or something. These are always grouped with cheats, but are they?

Peegee
02-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Cosmetic hacks are not cheats, but if you type a code, it gets lopped in there because 'cheats' are things that alter game variables and how they function in the game (ie infinite life would probably negate the 'if get hurt lose life' algorithms'.

I think cheating is perfectly fine. I call it cheating if and when you alter the game programming code at any point. Having a friend play for you is not cheating, in that case.

OOC: I thought rampy was going to do a rant about how cheating on your significant other is a good way to have fun....at the cost of your moral goodness.

Rampala
02-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Rampy..? O_o

Um, bet, anyhow. Caltrap, I would say that editting the game like that is not a cheat. Like, adding skins to your Sims. Obviously, you are hacking the game in some way, but as long as what you're doing doesn't give you some sort of advantage over the way the game was intended to be played, it's not cheating.

xenapan
02-11-2004, 11:02 PM
IMO chesthack in D2 was hilarious. with a lick of a mouse, you could cover SCREENS with all sorts of items. fair enough that it was bad for blizzard cause it meant clogged up servers but hey.. they took it upon themselves to make ultra rare uniques which some people would never hope to see. they brought it upon themselves to force many more into cheating thier way through the game. and as we all should know (or at least those who played d2 1.07-1.09. things were screwed up in softcore. it more or less became a meaningless game. i wasted at least a year or two before i realized.

then again.. there were plenty of other hacks... those familiar with maphack would know you can actually scroll off the screen to target things normally out of your sight range :P that and full lighting screwed up PVP as well.

then came iths and stufflike that, runewords that came out again, tradehacks with image only items, etc... it just simply screwed up the game.

in the end... cheats are ok.. as long as its restricted to affecting you only IMO that means offline games with no sort of linking etc.

then again... the D2 hacks gave blizzard a real headache :P that was just fun while it lasted. but regardless.. the effects resulted in the new d2 patch 1.10 which had to take AGES to come out (so long i quit even hardcore) to fix many of the exploits all at once. i guess they needed to learn.

GrimmReaper
02-11-2004, 11:45 PM
i got through doom cheating.

it was great.

DeBlayde
02-11-2004, 11:50 PM
the first time I played the N64 Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, I got stuck in the first temple as Grown Up Link. I musta spent 4 hours running in circles looking for another bloody key! finally, I ran out to the local supermarket and bought the strategy guide. when I got back, the answer to moving forward was so simple that I had to shmack myself in the head with the guide several times. Of course, it's not something that was terribly obvious and would have thought to do, but still. Fortunately, I had the guide already for the palace in Lake Hylia. even with the guide, that temple drove me about nuts!!!!

but guides do tend to provide replay value. instead of playing the game through a couple times and selling it, you find things that you never knew existed and so you go back through and try to find them yourself. but there's still this one weapon that I can never get an enemy to drop in Castlevania SOTN. I know who drops it and where, and got it once, but died right afterwards and hadn't an opportunity to save. poor me.

Peegee
02-12-2004, 12:12 AM
I wanna see a game where the programmers didn't make cheat codes. You can beta test something by using trainer equivalent programs, instead of cheat codes.

Garland
02-12-2004, 01:37 AM
My general philosophy is: play it once fairly, then you can cheat on future games to add replay value. It's always best to play the game guideless and cheatless first though, at least in my oppinion. I typically play a game once "legitly", then try it with a guide for my "perfect" game. When I used to have a gameshark or gamegenie I'd use that for godly abilities and such. Anything that gets you more play time for your money is a good thing. On online game communities like PSO, FFXI, Everquest, or the like, I don't think cheating is right at all. In single player you only affect yourself. Your cheating shouldn't ruin someone else's gaming experience.

Agent Proto
02-12-2004, 01:41 AM
Some hacks do mack some games fun, when it's more like adding special characters, or other things, most of the time for multiplayer games, but for other things, like getting more money, or other things, cheating isn't really that great, but it could be of some help, if you're like really confused.

Oh, and I think this thread is more suitable to General Gaming because we're discussing about cheating in games, which is not the same thing as cheating in life, unless there's some sort of involvement between the two. *nods and moves thread*

Breine
02-12-2004, 08:18 PM
I sometimes use cheats when playing with another person, Multiplayer... It usually makes it more fun.

Heath
02-15-2004, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty much the same as Garland here.

When you have to unlock cheats by doing various things like in Goldeneye on the N64 then yes, cheating does make the game fun by letting you go through levels with big heads, invisibility and so on, despite 1:20 on 00 Agent in Archives being a royal pain to get and not be out by a second or two which happened to me far too many times.

Ryth
10-27-2004, 12:04 AM
For me it depends on the game the Tony Hawk Pro Skater series I would cheat on those games some aren't the ones you shouldn't cheat on most RPGs and Zelda games. Walkthroughs should only be used when you can't beat something even hours and hours or even days before resorting to a walkthrough. Like I had a problem with Ocarina of Time so I went to www.cheatcc.com (http://www.cheatcc.com) the biggest cheat/code/FAQ/Walkthrough etc. archive EVER and helped me out big time. Warning though it does have lots of pop-ups every time you go to a new page.

XxSephirothxX
10-27-2004, 01:49 AM
I've never really liked cheating. I like the accomplishment of being able to say you've done it yourself, but I'm not totally against the idea. If I'm really, really stuck, I'll look up a FAQ online occassionally. And some cheats are fun if they give you unlimited ammo, invincibility, etc., but I only like to use them after actually beating a game fair and square the first time through.

escobert
10-27-2004, 11:29 AM
I usually like to beat the game first them later if I'm bored I'll see how it is with codes and such to go over and see if I missed things and not go through the hassle of leveling up and all that.

Vaprice
10-27-2004, 12:42 PM
yeah cheating for me sometimes makes it easier, but I like to actually beat the game first. With any game, racing, shooting, RPG, any...I like to beat it first...because it's for me more fun to beat it without the use of codes and cheats.

Super Christ
10-27-2004, 12:48 PM
It depends on the game, really. For example, I've found that, for me at least, Grand Theft Auto 3 is only fun when you cheat. I don't care in the least about the missions, when I play that I just want to get a tank and rampage, or take a sniper rifle and shoot pimps. Or in Final Fantasies - sometimes I just get so sick of the random encounters that I want to turn them off, and so I do.

On the other hand, I've never cheated on any of the legend of zelda series, I've made a legitimate lvl 110 character in PSO, I unlocked everything in Soul Calibur 2 and Mario Kart: Double Dash without cheating, ect. Those are games that yeah, feel to me like it sucks to cheat at. And multiplayer games, cheating on those sucks too.

Len
10-27-2004, 01:14 PM
I pretty well play the game through with the assistance of a walkthrough or strategy guide. I limit the use of this aid to when I really can't figure out what needs to be done.

As far as using code inputing devices I use them but only after I have finished playing the game all the way through. During the second go round I use codes that give 1,000 or more experience points/battle and things like 65,000+ gold/battle. I don't use the have all items codes.

Some codes allow you to have infinite items though and I do use them as I only need to purchase one of an item.

kawakami Gensai
11-12-2004, 09:05 PM
All I have to say is that codes got Cloud to Lv. 99 w/ 2 Ultima Weapon's in Final Fantasy 7 in under 10 minutes!

Shoeberto
11-12-2004, 09:40 PM
I don't like cheating unless I see it as absolutely necessary, or until the second playthrough. Doom 3 is an entirely different games with cheats.

theundeadhero
11-12-2004, 09:48 PM
What qualifies as cheating: If your stuck in a game for a really long time and use a walk-through right there to get on with the game it's not cheating. If you use the walk-through to hold your hand through the entire game your cheating. Asking a friend for help isn't cheating. That was one of the coolest things about NES games before this darn internet thingy. Hacking to change images isn't cheating. You gain no advantage, just different looks. Hacking that changes stats or equipment or abilities is cheating. Sure maphack is convenient for experienced players ofD2, but it's still cheating. Cheating can make the game more fun though. It adds elements to the game not originally there. You can sort of customize the game to your liking. Giving Terra in FFVI shock instead of morph is UBER>3.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
11-12-2004, 10:27 PM
If its about ff than im real against it.....i wouldnt be fun

with the exception of using a guide when your stuck cheating is not fun...

Divine Heretic
11-13-2004, 12:31 AM
I use guides in Rpg's and I definitely use guides in real time strategies and I guess I am cheating. I *RARELY* use codes for cheats. I only do that when I have a) completed a game or b) have spent like a week trying to get past a certain part with guides (this is on real time strategy I get this problem)

I pratically never cheat on survival horror games though. I like too look for the clues myself and I never use the more ammo/health cheats on 'em. I just bite my tounge and think of different strategies.

I guess what it comes down to for me is whether I'm really gonna slog it out and try hard or am just gonna put it back on the shelf and never bother again. Like I've never completed FF X (cuz it sucked in my opinion) but completed FF IV in two weeks and most of my survival horror games have been finished (completed RE 1, 2, 3 and code veronica and also completed silent hill 1, 2 and am going through 3 atm) So if I know I won't bother then chances are I'll cheat. Storyline means a lot to me. If I know all the story then I won't bother but if I don't then it lessens my chances of cheating and heightens my chances of sticking it out.

Dingo Jellybean
11-13-2004, 03:16 AM
Cheating can be fun if you've beaten the game or can't get through a severely difficult part of the game.

Like in FF8, who the hell wants to junction and all that crap? I just gave Squall his Lionheart and gave everyone max strength and Meteo and stuff...I didn't want to keep drawing everytime. In most FF games, building your stats is fun at first...but becomes a pain when you do it for lengthy amounts of time.

I mean rampaging is fun in GTAVC, but it be nice if you didn't die while doing it. Which is why infinite ammo and life codes help. Sawing up policemen is hilarious, so is popping caps into people's head in the middle of the street and not a damn thing the cops can do about it.