PDA

View Full Version : IS XENOSAGA WORTH IT

Omega_x
02-12-2004, 12:18 AM
I saw xenosaga at ebgames for 19.99 and I was thinking about buying it, but i've read alot of bad review saying the it has a good story, but the story sequences are way to long and the ATVS suits are completely useless.

I'm the kind of gamer that likes rpg with long epic storylines, so I was wondering, should I pick this one up, or not.

CloudDragon
02-13-2004, 12:35 AM
If you played Xenogears, well not that it matters but helps, like epic storylines, and now that's its a Greatest Hits for 19.99, you should definitely pick this game up. You'll love the long story sequences, and I never had a problem with them.

EDIT: Oh and considering Xenosaga actually isn't developed by Square, its developed by Namco but still the same guys that worked on Xenogears now called Monolith Soft, this should go in General Gaming.

Omega_x
02-13-2004, 01:42 AM
any more opinions on this game????????

Bahamut2000X
02-13-2004, 01:45 AM
I liekd it, it's not like a typical RPG as to fully understand everything you have to play all 6 games, but currently only 2 are out (Xenogears/Episode 5, and Xenosaga/Episode 1)

But other then that minor detail it's still a great game, it has well over 40 if not hours worth of play time especially if you play the minigames and such. I say it's very worth it. Especially for a measily 20 bucks.

Omega_x
02-13-2004, 02:48 AM
I never got a chance to play xenogears, but since you say that gears is episode 5, then I guess I won't really have any trouble picking up saga's storyline.

I also heard that at the end of ep.1, there is no ending, it's kind of a "to be continued" sorta thing.

so I guess i'll get it after my next paycheck (it is 20 bucks after all, not like it's a big investment or anything)

Jalbrean
02-13-2004, 02:58 AM
I love Xenosaga. It's by far one of my favorite PS2 RPG's. It has a very good storyline, and yes it is a "to be continued." that's to be expected since it's part one of six. The battle system isn't that great. It can be a bit tedious, but it's tolerable. (Episode II will be fixing both the battle system, at least a little bit, and the Mechs will play a more important role. Woo.)

Not to open up this tired debate but you really don't need to play Xenogears since it's not technicially apart of the 'Saga timeline. There are many ideas and refrences that will be mingled between the two though.

Germ Hamee
02-13-2004, 06:50 AM
I think Xenosaga is great, but it's definitely different from the usual RPG. As said, only the first is available of six. Since it has such a broad storytelling range, the story is kind of slower than most expect, though it's choke full of cutscenes. It's like watching a movie if it followed a book exactly, only with a few bits of interaction here and there.

But if you don't mind the story being the focus, you'll more than likely enjoy it. It's worth a try anyway.

Imperia
02-13-2004, 08:05 PM
It IS a good game. Some parts are challenging, but it's still awesome. Those who gave it bad reviews were very impatient with the cut scenes, but the cut scenes really are good to watch. You'll miss out on the story if you just skip through them.

Omega_x
02-15-2004, 02:54 AM
I heard that some of the cutscenes in saga run on for like 30 mins.

Now I do like deep stroylines in my rpgs, but 30 FREAKIN MINUTES!, damnnnn!

darkchrono
02-15-2004, 04:04 AM
actually if I remember right there is one that runs 45 minutes.

Again if you do not like long detailed stories in rpg's than the game probably is not for you.

But if you do like deep storylines I would go for it. As the story is much more realistic and detailed than most rpg's. As the characters actually act like real people. Not like most rpg's where the characters act very unrealistic in an unrealistic fantasy land.

Lord Chainsaw
02-16-2004, 04:31 AM
I absolutely LOVE the cutscenes

I'll never be able to understand why people actually complained about that. A game getting bad reviews for having a good storyline? That's a first for me. If it's 40 minutes of text nobody minds, but if it's 40 minutes of a movie cutscene all hell breaks loose!

It's a shame, but you just can't please everybody.

Germ Hamee
02-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Lord Chainsaw
If it's 40 minutes of text nobody minds, but if it's 40 minutes of a movie cutscene all hell breaks loose!

It's a shame, but you just can't please everybody.

:rolleyes2 I was thinking the same thing, with FFIX in mind particularly. RPGs were always meant to put priority on storylines and charactor... Xenosaga just puts more emphasis on this. Most of the time when I play RPGs, I race through the game just to get to the next cutscene. For once a game saved me the trouble. :D

Erdrick the Hero
02-17-2004, 04:13 PM
I think the reason that most people have a beef with it is that there is a dramatic pause after everyone single person says something. It makes the dialogue choppy. It seemed to drone on and on forever when the people lines are chopped up like that.

CVFreak
02-21-2004, 07:31 PM
Omega, try to ignore most of the bad reviews over it, I picked it up about a month ago and fell in love with it, I am currently playing like 5 other games so I am only half way into chapter 4. Anyway...about the AGWS ( or gears ), they do have a use, just they are not as important as they were in Xenogears, there is one battle that comes to mind at the end of Chapter 3, using two of em ( one with chaos ) makes it very easy and is sorta a must ( something to do with the boss saving and you grinding your teeth to reset the console hehe ).

Some people may consider this a non square game, and the debate rages on, see....technicly yes, it is NOT a square game, however because the "series" was originaly going to be square doing it, you can see where this is going, not like this would happen, but think of like square major FF guys leaving, going to say...konami and making a game called "Final Saga" or somethin ( ok bad example lol ) that is VERY similar to FF to the point you swear it all takes place in the same world and whatever. Its not really a xenogears 2 nor is it xenogears 0 or 1, although it is at the same time, this of course pretty much has to do with square owning it etc...

Anyway, to give you a more blunt example of the gameplay/game, its a cinema-fest alright, but depending on how you like your rpg's this can be really nice. Basicly you start off getting to know each character and their story, almost like missions, in each chapter you CAN level up and explore in a somewhat linear way, but it does get better as you get further into the game, alot of it takes place in space on ships, at times some of the movie parts can seem a little long, but normaly I have found them to be fun and interesting, they range from warm silly little cute parts to darth vader and luke type themes or just basic convos so you get to see what each person is like, there is a really funny part at the start of chapter 3, when you read someones hat and get to see how he acts, it made me laugh alot.

The battles are not exactly complex, although it will take a good while to fully understand how everything works including boosts and mechs ( AGWS ), when guard you get combos and stuff, KOS MOS has this awsome mini gun like weapon and it just rocks ! They also throw in emails and VR type stuff, there is a fair bit of goodies and secrets to hunt around for, you can even get some weapon upgrades and profit from emails...and of course the manditory card games and crap like that.

Anyway, from what I have played, its solid and a really amazing rpg, I rank it exactly beside xenogears, I think its that good even though they are different but really part of the same universe ( at least I would say they are ), for cash it costs....buy it....I highly doubt you will be sorry.

LH
02-26-2004, 05:54 PM
Maybe it's not bad for 20 bucks, but I was and still am a huge fan of Xenogears (since before the game came out and it was totally obscure) and I still haven't finished Xenosaga. It's not really an extension of XG but more like a plagiarism. A lot of the terms (all most all) are featured in XG and some themes are similar but I don't relate the two games at all past that point.

BatChao
03-08-2004, 10:29 AM
For $20, this game is a steal. I love the battle system, though it would be nice to use the AWGS more. But anyway, yea, this game is great. I like it more than Xenosaga, maybe because I'd rather watch 45 min or anime cutscenes than read 45 minutes of text boxes. The cut scenes are great, and if you like watching movies, and enjoy good story, the cut scenes won't bother you at all. It also has a cool card game you can play! I love a good card game! Bottom line: get it.

Sephiroth2088
03-10-2004, 02:32 AM
In my opinion this game had the best story I have ever seen. If anyone knows of a game with a better story tell me and I'll buy it. Story is the main reason I play RPGs so the cutscences were fine by me. I'd suggest buying it especialy for $20.

Avalon_Beouvle07
03-14-2004, 06:16 PM
I'm with CV-ignore all of the bad reviews you see and hear. There's not really too much to complain about, and for everyone comparing the game to something else, allow it to stand on its own. I respect your opinions, but it's not fair to say that something sucks simply because it lost miserably in a contest compared to a game that you're very fond of. If the cinematics are too long-push the start button and skip them, although you'd risk missing some important info.
My sister plays the game like crazy, and I have always watched her play it. I still love to watch her-Xenosaga is pretty exciting. The voice-actors are spectacular-there's the adorable MOMO, the compassionate yet calm Ziggy, and of course, the clueless, air-headed Shion. (Yeah, i can't stand Shion-all of you shion lovers are free to kill me!:love: :love: Anyone besides me notice that Shion sounds like Akari from Battle Athletes??). The stories are intriguing and surprisingly captivating-the whole thing plays out like a movie. The music is also top-notch movie quality. I LOVE THE BATTLE MUSIC, but then I'm very fond of a lot of exciting game music...
The battle system is cute. The battles require a lot of strategy, if you allow yourself to really enjoy the game. IF you do decide to enjoy it, then its a lot of fun. My sister and I get scared all of the time!:love: I haven't played it myself, but watching big sis play it is enough-i've been with her from the very beginning.
The only complaint I have about it is Shion. I CAN'T STAND HER! Ms.'All I Care About is Work and Not My Friends'....stuck up, snobby, airheaded, clueless!!!!:mad2: YEAH, SOMETIMES SHE'S SWEET, YES!!! BUT LISTEN TO THE WAY SHE TALKS, FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE PLAYED IT!! blah blah blah....
I wish that the battle system could have included a tag team option-it would have been cool to see the characters combine their powers together. Other than that, I think it's totally cool.

Lord Chainsaw
03-14-2004, 10:40 PM
My favorite character is Albedo.

Everything about him is awesome, especially his quotes and voice acting.

Yes, I've had the official Albedo wallpaper up for the past 6 or 7 months on my desktop.

"C'mon c'mon c'mon! NOW DIE!!!"

The Captain
03-15-2004, 02:16 AM
I've heard Xenosaga described as an interactive movie and I'd agree with that description. Yes, the cut scenes are longer than your average cut scenes, but they all have a point, and are very well done. The voice acting for the most part is top notch and the storyline is very entertaining, though some parts were hard to follow at first.

My only qualms were twofold. Firstly, not enough music. As the back cover says, the music is played by the London Symphony and I was very, very pleased with all that I heard. However, there are long stretches in the game with no music and it sort of killed the mood a bit for me. I really hope they add more music to Episode II.

My second problem is that some of the levels are SO vast that I got completely and utterly lost or had no idea how to navigate. When the game first started, I spent hours learning where all the doors led to. However, as you explore more and more, the locations become easier to follow and eventually, I admired the sheer ambition of the locations as much as I have for any game to date.

I'd recommend this game to anyone with a passion for a good story, for a good sci-fi adventure, or just a good gaming experience. It does take a little while to understand the whole battle system, with tech points, ether points, and skill points, but you soon get the hang of it and, at least for me anyway, become more and more addicted to the game.

Really, the choice is yours. I'd recommend maybe renting the game first and if you enjoy it, then pick up a copy.

Take care all.

Behold the Void
03-27-2004, 08:04 AM
It's a great game. Best storyline out there. However, I will provide an alternate view, just to give some semblance of having a fair review going here.

1. A.G.W.S. suck. I want a gear. Albedo has a gear! Give me Weltal or Fenrir or, ah hell I'll even take Stier! I want a gear!

2. As Avalon_Beouvle07 said, Shion isn't that great of a character. I'm just not that fond of her. I'm hoping you get to use Jin in the second one, he looks like he might be interesting.

3. While the long cutscenes are enjoyable, I realize that some people may find them interesting. The only thing I don't like about them is that they're so long I have to pause them so that I can go eat and that means the game is on for all of dinner and my time thing goes up and I look like an even bigger loser than I actually am for having so many hours on the game. Just a note, if you REALLY don't want to watch the cutscenes (if you are like this you are a moron) you can always press start and triangle. It's good for when you get slaughtered by a boss and don't want to have to watch all the cutscenes leading up to him again.

4. They don't give a lot of information on chaos, who is by far the best character in my opinion.

5. chaos isn't the main character.

6. A.G.W.S. suck

And finally, 7. A.G.W.S. REALLY suck.

Omega_x
03-27-2004, 04:50 PM
I finally just picked up the game a week ago and I am at the part where you take control of ziggy and have to save MOMO. At the end of this part I had to fight Margulius and the battle took me 1 hour to beat because he was soo frickin powerful and most of my turns were spent healing and guarding.
I am actually preatty hooked on this game right now. I haven't played anything else since I got it.
Here are some of my first impressions:

- I like the storyline so far, although I'm not farmiliar with the xenogears story I am somewhat understanding it accept for the "incedent that happened 14 years ago" that they keep talking about?

- I alreday have over 10 hours on my file! and this isn't really because i play so much, it's because I keep having to pause in between the cutscenes to go on with the rest of my real life

- Shion is alright, but she doesn't really seem that cool to me for a main character in the game. I mean I don't really like that I have to be in control of some nerdy little scientist girl 90% of the time.

- Yeah and AGWS do really suck, the one I have so far attacks so slow

But I am really enjoyng this game and intend to finish it and buy ep.2 when it comes out

By the way, does can anyone here explain the boost system to me, because I have absolutley no idea how to use it.

Behold the Void
03-27-2004, 10:18 PM
You know you don't have to beat Margulis? If you lose you acheive the same results without spending craploads of time on him.

Avalon_Beouvle07
03-29-2004, 04:25 AM
My big sis taught me this, but I'm still not pretty sure myself yet....here I go! Okay. Next to the picture of each member in your party, there is a number. It's right in front of a red bar, that fills up gradually with each turn. When it reaches 1 or beyond, you can press R1 and the Boost button for that character, and they'll get their turn really quick. I don't really remember the buttons....let's say that you've got Ziggy, chaos and MOMO fighting, and Ziggy's pic is first in line on the top of the screen. If Ziggy's bar reaches 1, then press R1, and then the Square button.....i think...maybe someone else can help you with the corresponding buttons....:cry: :cry:

Lord Chainsaw
03-29-2004, 05:25 AM
It would be best to learn how to boost as early as possible, because there is a certain VERY HARD boss about halfway through the game where you will need to use the boost to avoid getting creamed.

Behold the Void
03-29-2004, 10:54 PM
The boost is one of the most useful features in the game. It's a free turn, and you REALLY need it on some enemies.

Agent Proto
03-30-2004, 06:30 PM
I would suggest playing Xenogears before you play this. Xenogears is quite hard to find.

If you just want to play Xenosaga. By all means, go right ahead. I have the game, but after awhile of playing it, I started to dislike it. I hate the main character and her sympathies towards the Realians, and whatnot. Well, that's just my opinion. Get the game if you like. You may enjoy it more than I have.

Lord Chainsaw
03-30-2004, 06:46 PM
I thought I was the only one who disliked the main character. It's good to see there are others like me.

I really hope she isn't the main character in episode II.

Behold the Void
03-30-2004, 10:41 PM
I think her brother, Jin, is the main character in Episode 2, but I'm not sure.

Avalon_Beouvle07
04-01-2004, 05:25 AM
He is, no worries! unfortunately everyone's going to look butt ugly....that's just my opinion though, isn't it?:D

Omega_x
04-01-2004, 06:14 PM
Butt Ugly?, I don’t think so. I saw some screens for ep. 2, and It looks a hell of a lot better than ep. 1, which says a lot.

Shion, MOMO, and KOS MOS look more realistic. And the design of the gears looks a lot cooler.

Btw, since I’m here does anyone know a good place to level up? Right now Im at the cathedral ship, and everyone is at about lv14. Is leveling up really necessary?

I NEED TECH POINTS!! (in my opinion they are better than experience)

Avalon_Beouvle07
04-02-2004, 06:49 AM
:cry: I knew that was just my opinion...everything thinks they look totally cool........NOBODY LIKED THE ANIME-LOOK OF THE CHARACTERS!:sad: i did....they probably won't even have the same voices in ep.2...
IF YOU SERIOUSLY THINK THAT YOUR CHARACTERS NEED TO LEVEL UP, THEN DO IT. LEVEL UP SO MUCH THAT ONE OF YOUR CHARACTERS WILL BE ABLE TO GO 'PING' AND END THE BATTLE. if you think you can do it, then just try harder.:D
Yeah, levelling up is necessary. The church battle is pretty hard.

Trumpet Thief
04-15-2004, 04:29 AM
I loved Xenosaga; one of the best RPG's I had ever played.

Although Shion looked like a complete nerd (yes a nerd), she is to look WAY better in Episode Two. Also, the storyline was very well done, except the cutscene's were pretty long, excuse me, VERY long.

Mr. Graves
04-20-2004, 04:28 AM
It's good if you bring along popcorn. If 20-minite long cutscenes turn you off in an RPG, I do not recommend this game. If the cutscenes won't bother you, or if you even like that kind of thing, then yeah, get this game.

I don't like the FMVs myself, But I put with them because I really do want to finish this game. But, damn, they can be so long....

In case it's not obvious, I like playing an RPG for both Story and Gameplay. Mostly gameplay. Xenosaga has the exact opposite balance, and it's really grate on me after awhile.

Casey
04-20-2004, 04:42 AM
It is worth it, despite the cut scenes there just like the same but with voices. Dont know what the deal is.:\ An its better then ff10 IMHO. :D

Omega_x
04-25-2004, 01:42 AM
Speaking of cutscenes, does anyone have a link or anything for the uncut version of the MOMO Albedo scene.
Im not a sicko or anything, Im just curious to see why it had to be cut from the North American version.

Trumpet Thief
07-05-2004, 11:15 PM
One more thing, Jin is not the main character of Xenosaga Episode II I think. It hasn't been confirmed.

The game is revolving around Rubedo, he might be the main character. Anyone is better than Shion.

And...

Chaos's past etc. will be revealed more during Episode 3 and so on, and he will be the main character for about Two episodes I think.

Shoeberto
07-06-2004, 01:54 AM
Who's Rubedo? The name rings a bell, but I don't recall who it is.

SomethingBig
07-06-2004, 02:20 AM
I honestly hate the game... Even more than I hate FFX and you all know how much I hate that game. Sorry, everyone, but I just do. I can't stand repetitive games. It was the same thing through and through. Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, because I played 10 hours of it and not a dungeon was any different from the other. Fine, they looked different, but the objectives were the same.

Xenosaga II looks spiffy and I plan on renting it. Anyone care to spoil the ending of Xenosaga I for me?

Trumpet Thief
07-06-2004, 03:14 AM
Just to clear things up...

Junior=Rubedo
Gaignun=Nigredo
Albedo=Albedo :p

And also, to the poster above me, I have nothing against your opinion, but the game gets better waaaay later. To tell you the truth it is very boring at first, but it gets exciting later on. Trust me :)

Hehehehe, just ot put you through some torture I'm going to give a short (loooooooong) summary of the game 'cause of got nothing better to do.

Summary of Game: After the Wonglinde is onz0red by the Gnosis, Allen and Shion end up getting onto another ship called the Elsa. They meet some cool dude named Chaos and then after just lazing around the Elsa for a few long cut scenes, the screen switches to some yellow haired dude named Ziggaraut 8 (Ziggy)

Some group of people want him to rescue an observational realion which was taken by some people The Bad Guys (Forgot their name). Basically, after going through a long dungeon he saves the observational realian named MOMO. After trying to get the crap out of there, and a flashback with Ziggy and his son Abel, they escape, but are being hunted down by those creeps. (They also get into a fight with Margulis)

Meanwhile, the Elsa crew is still lazing around like hell. Not doing anything 'till they find MOMO and Ziggy being chased by those guys, and try tog et out of the area, but change their mind and take those two aboard, after defeating those bad dudes, and getting into a boss fight.

After some more lazing around, the screen switches to some kid named Jr. (Rubedo) excavating some place in AGWS. After getting into a fight, the screen switches back to the lazy group of the Elsa. Anyways... that other dude onboard the Elsa (forgot his name) who was attacked by a gnosis when they first got onto the ship looks hurt, and crud.

Eventually, our group gets swallowed by some giant Gnosis... they make their way to the end, and that dude starts going insane, and turns into a Gnosis. After beating the crap out of that loser, he and Shion start talking in some weird unknown area. Basically the dudes gonna dissapear, and he is dead. After mourning the death of him, they go back to lazing around on the Elsa.

Later on, the group gets caught in between a fight, and are called by the people on the other ship, the Durandul which belongs to Rubedo. After finding out that the two ships know eachother very well, they start lazing off in the Elsa, they go to that place owned by Nigredo (Forgot it's name as well) and laze of some more, hear about some secret things about Nigredo, Rubedo, and Albedo.

Afterwards, the group of the Elsa are accused of destroying the Wonglinde, which they didn't. So, to prove they are innocent, they go into the KOSMOS mainframe to get some footage that proves their innocence. After a long cutscene with Wilheim, the group is broken into two. The first part of the group consists of Ziggy, MOMO, and RUbedo. After learning about MOMO's and Rubedo's past and going through a long dungeon, that group falls into a new area.

The other group, which consists of Shion and Chaos and Allen go through the area. After having a cutscene with the mysterious girl (Nephilim) the group sets out, and rendevous with the other group. After that, they go to some church place, and find out that this area is based on everyone's memories. After talking with some woman named Febronia, and Nephilim, they go into some weird area, where we learn more about Rubedo and Nigredo, then fight a boss.

After seeing some cutscenes of Albedo, we find out that the city which is owned by Nigredo is being attacked by Gnosis. After saving everyone in the city, the whole group goes back to the Elsa, except for MOMO we wants to stay in order to treat the injured.

Here's where it starts getting good.

While MOMO is treating an injured person, she sees someone that looks like her father, Joachim Mizrahi, who was supposed to be dead. As she follows the person, she is kidnapped by Albedo who is in league with the bad guys, and was ordered to extract the Y-data out of her for some reason.

The group goes back to check on MOMO, and suprisingly, she isn't there. The group think's she is on the Durandul, but after searching, they find out that she's not. After a cutscene about KOSMOS and Miyuki, the party sets out to some place called "The Song of Nephilim"

After venturing through the area, recruiting MOMO who was been drained of all her thoughts, fighting a boss, the group encounters Albedo. They group then finds out that the MOMO travelling with them in the song of Nephilim, wasn't actually MOMO, but a doll called Kirchwasser, who starts attacking Rubedo. After Rubedo destroys it, we learn more about his past with Albedo, as they get into a heated battle, throwing waves of energy at eachother.

After the battle, Albedo gets into his AGWS and fights your group. Once you defeat him, Albedo leaves, and some new hooded guy comes. After battling him, in a cutscene, with him and Wilheim, you find out that he is in fact Virgil, who had died on the Wonglinde.

After saving MOMO, your party returns to the Durandal, and find get a message from Albedo that he was discovered the lost Jerusalem. WHich is called Proto Merkabah. The group now sets out to stop Albedo, who is going to crash Proto Merkabah into Second Miltia. Albedo then sucks up all the remaining Gnosis into Proto Merkabah.

The rest of the stuff will be included in the ending.

Ending: The group makes their way to Proto Merkabah, and after venturing through the area, they find out that MOMO was born in this very area. After fighting a boss, your group finally gets to the reactor room, and have to destroy the reactor in order to stop Proto Merkabah.

In a cutscene with Albedo, you learn A LOT more about Rubedo's past, and then engage in a battle with Albedo. After defeating him, Albedo releases a giant Gnosis on all of you. That bastard... he had fused the reactor with the Gnosis. Albedo tells you that to stop Proto Merkabah from destroying Second MIltia, you must destroy the giant Gnosis.

After beating the crap out of Sohpie Peithes, the group has to get out of Proto MErkabah, which is going to blow in five minutes. MOMO searches for an exit, and says that the nly exit that can be opened has to be operated by a certain room. KOSMOS volunteers to operate it, and says she will come back alive.

After the group escapes into the Elsa, they wait for KOSMOS. Shion even wants to stay behind to save KOSMOS. As the group is about to leave, Shion tells Tony to go around the left port of Proto Merkabah, and KOSMOS jumps out. Shion tries to grab onto to her, but can't, then Ziggy helps.

Once KOSMOS is saved, they Elsa is stuck into the atmosphere of second Miltia, and will be destroyed in a few seconds. KOSMOS then goes outside, and makes herself a shield, so that the group can get out of the atmosphere.

The Party thinks that KOSMOS is dead, but then, they see her at the top of the Elsa, with her hair waving in the distance.

Yeah, I know I skipped a lot of stuff, so sue me.

Okay, maybe that was a bad idea :eep:

Ah well, at least no one will have to play it now :p

edczxcvbnm
07-16-2004, 12:53 AM
I just finished this game again(about 5 days). I was around level 40 when I beat it this time and my characters were ungodly strong with almost all magic...just a few missing spells.

I never use the AWGS though because they are a waste of my damn time.

Trumpet Thief
07-16-2004, 12:58 AM
I agree with that statement about A.G.W.S. Thank god in Xenosaga Episode II they are going to make them important, stronger, and mandatory to use in the game, rather than optional.

edczxcvbnm
07-16-2004, 01:23 AM
I am glad about that also. I saw upwards of 25000+ HP for the AWGS so I am hoping it plays more like xenogears in the gears to human ratio and aspect.

SomethingBig
07-16-2004, 02:14 AM
Started playing Xenosaga again and, wow, it's so good. I'm fighting Tiamat, right now, and my only beef with him is that he's not a dragon. How long is this game supposed to be, anyway? Is level 22 a too low of a level to be fighting Tiamat on? I'm not having any trouble with him, but I heard somewhere else that I'm pretty underleveled during this part of the game.

edczxcvbnm
07-16-2004, 02:18 AM
Where do you fight Tiamat?

SomethingBig
07-16-2004, 02:23 AM
When you go inside KOS-MOS on the Durandal. Your party gets seperated into 2 groups: 1 group consists of Shion, chaos, and Allen, while the other consists of Momo, Jr., and Ziggy. You fight Tiamat in that chapel after meeting Ferabio.

edczxcvbnm
07-16-2004, 05:39 AM
Okay! I would say you are over leveled. I was at 22 when I beat the NEXT area. My party consists of KOS-MOS, Chaos and Jr. for the most part(Jr. + Bravesoul + Storm Waltz = Easy game). All three of the characters had Shions heal all spell also.

For that boss I usually put shion behind Jr. so that she can't be hit and can just heal people.

SomethingBig
07-16-2004, 06:53 AM
Oh, then that's definitely a huge relief. One last question: what happens when you upgrade your various tech attacks?

edczxcvbnm
07-16-2004, 07:33 AM
The get slightly stronger. If you plan on level gaining a bit(do it at the beginning of the encephelon...best amount of TP,EP,SP to EXP ratio...also killing all the enemies at the same time on a x2 or x4 gets you lots of everything) then its up to you. Upgrading a tech is good but so is upgrading your character stats(you can only go as high as the highest mark in the group...so if your vitality stats are 55,54,56,57,55 and 60 then no one can surpass 60. Its their way of making it so you can't over do it).

Its really up to you and what you decide the pay off is. I don't really upgrade my techs too much personally. I do the speed and recovery time though.

SomethingBig
07-16-2004, 05:09 PM
What does upgrading the speed of your techs do?

Trumpet Thief
07-16-2004, 05:18 PM
Miss attacks more often. And only give Jr. Bravesoul for that one battle. If you equip chaos with double buster, and raise his strength anyways, Sophie Peithos will die in one turn

edczxcvbnm
07-16-2004, 10:48 PM
You don't miss attacks more often. It allows you to use a special with 4 AP instead of 6 AP.

My Jr. right now is dealing out upwards of 9000 damage per turn now!

SomethingBig
07-16-2004, 10:56 PM
That's pretty insane. My characters don't even deal 1000 damage with their tech attacks.

edczxcvbnm
07-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Keep in mind that right now I am bored and my characters are now at level 43 and Jr. has brave soul on with about 30/1390 HP. He also has the best weapons in the game and has a strength of around 100. Its the perfect plan for mass destruction against ANY enemy!

Trumpet Thief
07-16-2004, 11:43 PM
Meh, chaos is better. His average attack does 2500 damage, his first tech does 5000, second tech does 6000.

edczxcvbnm
07-16-2004, 11:47 PM
At what level? He doesn't ever do that much for me.

Trumpet Thief
07-16-2004, 11:58 PM
Somewhere around the level 55's. I have been using Tech Points to power up his strength, and his Tech Attacks. I equiped him his Ultimate Weapon, Holey Gloves, Double Buster, and Bravesoul.

An easy way to gain levels is to fight ace Pilot in the simulator of the U-Tic Ship which Rubedo had raided.

edczxcvbnm
07-17-2004, 07:21 AM
Okay. I am only at level 43 so I have a ways to go ;)

Trumpet Thief
07-17-2004, 05:36 PM
I don't remember too much of the game though, as well as what speed is needed for, 'cause I haven't played it for a long time. I can only vaguely remember a few things. Oh, and get Double Buster. It allows you to use to attack with a normal attack once, then use two tech attacks.

Triple T
07-17-2004, 05:41 PM
To make my post short... I love Xenosaga. I'd die for it. I've already bought the Japanese version of Xenosaga 2 and I'm counting the days till it comes out in NA(181 days).

Trumpet Thief
07-17-2004, 05:43 PM
Lucky you! I agree, I love Xenosaga as well. Is it a good game so far?

Shoeberto
07-17-2004, 05:48 PM
I need a few suggestions.

I'm on the Song of Nephilim, and Shion is only level 23, and I think chaos and KOS-MOS are about 28, and I'm having trouble even surviving the on-screen enemies in the second tower. I know I need to level up, but my characters are even dying just trying to fight in there. The place on the EVS with the enemies that give the most experience is the KOS-MOS simulator on Miltia, but even then they don't give enough to level up at a good rate.

Trumpet Thief
07-17-2004, 05:55 PM
Well, if you can't stand these guys, there is a way for you to like level up REALLY quickly. GO out of Song of Nephilim, and go into the U-Tic Battle Ship simulator (Not the Ziggy one), the one that Junior raided. In there, keep going straight until you reach a place which has a lot of rooms in it. GO to the recond room, and a guy will be standing there. His name is Ace Pilot. He won't attack you unless you approach him and get into a battle.

In the battle he will be easy until he gets into his AGWS (He is easy in that too IMO). And if you have trouble with killing him, get Erde Kaiser. You can nfight this guy as many times as you want.

Shoeberto
07-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Cool, thanks a lot. I remember to do that.

Triple T
07-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Lucky you! I agree, I love Xenosaga as well. Is it a good game so far?

The game is awesome! It's much different than the first. The dessigns are great, and the swimsuits are funny, not erotic. xD And the battle, in my opinion, is 10x better than the first!

Trumpet Thief
07-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Cool. Dang, I wish Jenseits Von Jut und Bosse (Beyond Good and Evil) would come out sooner.

edczxcvbnm
07-18-2004, 12:29 AM
We all do but it just ain't happening :(

I would seriously not be surprised if the game slipped passed its febuary date right now. The team just got done with Tales and now they are starting on Xenosaga. I want Febuary but I just don't think it will happen :crying2:

Trumpet Thief
07-18-2004, 02:09 AM
Meh. I hate it when they make those really long countdowns for games. I almost mauled the store clerk because Xenosaga was out of stock the firswt day. And it had like a large section for the game.

edczxcvbnm
07-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Its not like most companies hold off games. They would always like to have them out as soon as possible. I say if they feel it isn't good enough and they need more time...TAKE THE TIME! If it will make it better then I am all for it. I can wait a bit longer!

Triple T
07-18-2004, 01:02 PM
Well, FFX-2's release date wasn't announced until 2-3 months before it came out, and even then it wasn't the real release date. So it might not be Februry like we think.

There's nothing to make the game better, just the loading times at the beginning of a battle. And even that's not hard to get used to, so I'm sure the gaem'll be released before February.

SomethingBig
07-20-2004, 07:35 PM
Anyone know where I can find the new Xenosaga 2 trailers?

On a side note, I would buy the second Xenosaga without any doubt, if it had a mini-game where you could have AGWS battles in real-time, just like Xenogears did in that prison.

Shoeberto
07-20-2004, 08:53 PM
AGWS suck, hands-down. They're almost completely worthless. They get a lot of HP, but you chracters end up able to dish out as much damage as them, plus the only way to battle in them is to change into them during battle, and that makes you lose about 3-4 turns for that character, then after every attack you take about 3-4 turns to attack again.

Triple T
07-20-2004, 09:23 PM

If you have Bittorent, I suggest www.onegaistudios.com. If you don't, then I guess you can always go towww.gamespot.com (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/xenosaga2/index.html?q=Xenosaga).

SomethingBig
07-20-2004, 09:46 PM
AGWS suck, hands-down. They're almost completely worthless. They get a lot of HP, but you chracters end up able to dish out as much damage as them, plus the only way to battle in them is to change into them during battle, and that makes you lose about 3-4 turns for that character, then after every attack you take about 3-4 turns to attack again.

I thought that they were pretty useful for the strong Gnosis, but, for the most part, they were useless.

EDIT: Thanks, Triple T.

Behold the Void
07-21-2004, 02:15 AM
AGWS are pieces of crap. I've only had to use them a few times, and even then it was pretty much because I felt like it.

Trumpet Thief
07-21-2004, 03:02 AM

On a side note, I would buy the second Xenosaga without any doubt, if it had a mini-game where you could have AGWS battles in real-time, just like Xenogears did in that prison.

Gamespot or any other sites don't have the best Trailers. Go to http://www.xenosaga.jp and go to CM in the top left corner. In there, you can see a lot of trailers, commercials, and wallpaper. Watch the E3 Trailer, I guarantee that that trailer will be one of the best VG trailers you have ever seen.

Triple T
07-21-2004, 01:30 PM
commercials

The commercials are sad/funny. All she wants is a date, but he's going to play Xenosaga 2. xD

SomethingBig
07-21-2004, 04:10 PM
I just hope that our commercials are as funny as the Japanese commercials. Poor girl just wanted a kiss and a date, but the jerk keeps playing Xenosaga.

Erased
07-28-2004, 09:54 PM
I just thought I'd say its easily worth it.
>Erased

Trumpet Thief
08-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Since Xenosaga.jp is being annoying, I decided to check out GameSpot. Seriously, everyone, check out all those videos! I looked at all of them, and am now anticipating the game way more. The AGWS look so much cooler, and aren't those slowpokes they were in Episode One, and that Sword battle was nothing short of awesome!

Triple T
08-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Since Xenosaga.jp is being annoying, I decided to check out GameSpot. Seriously, everyone, check out all those videos! I looked at all of them, and am now anticipating the game way more. The AGWS look so much cooler, and aren't those slowpokes they were in Episode One, and that Sword battle was nothing short of awesome!

That's nothing compared to what I had. :rolleyes2 Opening video, ending, double tech videos, Albedo beating up Sakura, and Albedo + Rubedo kawaii yaoi rape bishi hawt scene ^____^;;. But since I had to reboot because it was taking too much space, I lost them. Except the Opening scene and some double tech videos.

Trumpet Thief
08-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Would you mind spoiling then ending for me? I really wanna know what happens...

Triple T
08-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Would you mind spoiling then ending for me? I really wanna know what happens...

... I didn't O_O

Trumpet Thief
08-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Err wha? I'm asking if you could tell me anything about the storyline, like what happens. I'm going more insane by the minute.

EDIT: I really got to examine emoticons more often... Besides, I don't think Albedo would have really beaten up Sakura. He's madly in love with her after all, and that's why he made the Kirschwassers, that are supposed to resemble her, yet MOMO looks better.