PDA

View Full Version : Disabling Annoying Tool Tips In WinXP?

Great Warrior
02-14-2004, 01:13 AM
hello, all

I would like to disable thoes annoying tooltips that always popup on windows xp... But I dont remember how... could somone help me out? :choc:

crono_logical
02-14-2004, 01:26 AM
Tooltips, or the bubble boxes/balloon tips that appear from the tooltray in the corner of the screen?

If you mean the second, go get TweakUI for WinXP off the microsoft site, and in the Taskbar options in the left, untick Enable Balloon tips. I'm not sure if it's possible to enable real tooltips though that can occur in any program.

Great Warrior
02-14-2004, 02:24 AM
thanks, Guu, yea thats what i mean't thoes darn buble/balloon things... they just annoy me....

Edit: does Tweak UI work on XP home editon or just pro? :o
Edit2: is their any other ways cause Tweak UI won't install....:mad:

Yamaneko
02-14-2004, 02:54 AM
It only works on Pro, I think.

Dr Unne
02-14-2004, 03:04 AM
There's likely a Registry key somewhere you can mess with to do it. Have fun obliterating Windows trying to find it though.

crono_logical
02-14-2004, 03:06 AM
I didn't know it didn't work on Home - another reason to hate it I guess :p I couldn't figure out how to allow network access to Guest whilst disabling local login on WinXP Home the other day, since there appeared to be no policy editor on the thing :p

Well, if you're comfortable doing it via the registry method, then here goes :p Run regedit and find in the folder list:

<b>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced</b>

Look for <b>EnableBalloonTips</b> on the right in that folder - it should be of type REG_DWORD. If it's not there, right-click in the right window, New, DWORD Value, and give it that name. Once it's there (or you found it), double click it, and change the value to <b>0</b> - doesn't matter if it's hex or decimal - then close the registry editor. You might need to log off/log back on for it to take effect.

EDIT: I can't figure out why the name's wrapping, but you can still read it :p

Great Warrior
02-14-2004, 01:31 PM
thanks Guu, I'll give it a try... err... wish me luck :p

edit: that key doesnt exist in my registry :o

I added the key and restarted and it didn't work :( so I deleted the key... :mad: :grr:

Baloki
02-14-2004, 04:36 PM
3, 2, 1, kaboom

\ \ | / /
\ \|/ / Yeepee
\|/
^

Hello :)

Ok then, try searching through the elusive control panel for an option to disable it, I'm sure there was one in there, if that fails download 98's TweakUI, it does work, strange I know.

Endless
02-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Tweakui exists for XP home, it's located on the XP home powertoys download page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/downloads/powertoys.asp

crono_logical
02-14-2004, 05:39 PM
heh, figures :p

Great Warrior
02-14-2004, 05:57 PM
thanks all... :)