PDA

View Full Version : Toothpick Bridge

Siwolae
02-14-2004, 03:07 AM
Hi, I'm not really sure if this thread belongs here but umm I was just wondering if anyone knows how to make a toothpick bridge. I have to make one for class and I have no idea how to make the corners stick together. Any advice, website links, etc. will be greatly appreciated. ^_______^

Big Ogre Umaro
02-14-2004, 05:36 AM
I did this in eighth grade and I remember that the most important part seemed to be to make sure you're listening to a good audiobook while you're doing it.

Shoeberto
02-14-2004, 06:01 AM
<font color="#009999">
1. hot glue gun works wonders
2. make a design with triangles if you're going for structural integrety.

Dr Unne
02-14-2004, 06:21 AM
I think the whole point of the assignment is to figure out how to do it. It's no fun if someone tells you.

But yeah, use triangles. If you can't think of anything, look at some real bridges, or do a search on bridge design. http://images.google.com/images?q=bridge+design

Peegee
02-14-2004, 06:28 AM
She's asking how to get the corners sticking together, not what to make oO

What did you mean by corners anyway? If you mean connecting two toothpicks to make a corner or a right-angle, intersect them a little bit. Just put some glue on one, and put the other at a right angle, and let it dry.

Siwolae
02-14-2004, 08:37 AM
Thanx for the help, everyone. I started working on it a while ago and I think things are okay for now. I'm doing what you said, Moo Moo the Ner Cow, but I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow to see if the corners really stick.

We are only allowed to use 250 flat toothpicks The load that will be placed on top of the bridge is 25 lbs.