PDA

View Full Version : Movie viewing problems and such

Bahamut2000X
02-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Well everytime I see a link that people mention has a really cool movie on it I try to clock on thel ink and it only shows up as a long long text file with all sorts of random letters/symbols and such. Anyone know exactly how I can change this? I'm not positive but I think it has something to do with my switching over to Mozilla.

crono_logical
02-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Use Right-Click, Save Target As... instead. Its probably the server at the other end sending the wrong mime-type so Mozilla doesn't know it's a video so assumes the default, which is text. I tend to get that a lot with torrent files on particular servers.

The Man
02-15-2004, 04:41 PM
in other words, it's a problem with people not testing their sites with anything except IE again... *grumbles*

Dr Unne
02-15-2004, 05:47 PM
It's also a great example of how ubiquitous use of IE demolishes standards which should not have been demolished. IE's broken behavior becomes the new standard. And then programmers like me are forced to bend over backwards to try to work around IE's bugs. And then I get mad.

The Man
02-15-2004, 05:49 PM
the nice part of it though is that so many people are using firefox now that programmers are going to have to START paying attention to browsers other than IE again. or else they'll suck and won't get traffic to their sites. either option makes me very happy.

Baloki
02-15-2004, 05:55 PM
While we're on the topic of music on websites, I have background music on my site and it plays in some versions of Netscape (I don't have any of the others) but not others and works fine in IE, anyone know how to fix that?

Dr Unne
02-15-2004, 05:56 PM
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Mozilla accounts for 9%. Better than nothing, I guess, and at least it's growing steadily, but I don't know how much of a dent it's really making. Big sites though, yeah, I notice that Amazon and CNN and sites like that are pretty much guaranteed to work in Mozilla-ish browsers.

EDIT: I consider stopping midis from playing to be a handy feature. I don't know how to fix it; it might be possible, but I wouldn't want to if it was.

crono_logical
02-15-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Baloki
While we're on the topic of music on websites, I have background music on my site and it plays in some versions of Netscape (I don't have any of the others) but not others and works fine in IE, anyone know how to fix that? Remove the code for the midi - that way all browsers will give the same audio on that page :D I'd guess it'd be a plug-in of some sort though, but I don't want to find out :p