PDA

View Full Version : Why Do you Like FFX?

Rampala
02-16-2004, 07:06 AM
I'll be perfectly honest, I don't like FFX. It's not the worse game I've ever played, certainly not. I do like the battle system a lot, turned based is a great idea, and the graphics are needless to say incredible. However, there were so many things that bugged me about the game it overwhelmed the positive. I hate the map, it defeats the purpose of exploring or, heck, even playing-- if they're telling you where to go why are you playing at all? Just to follow an arrow? You wind up looking at the map more than the nice graphics they made for you. But, what really drives me crazy are the characters and the storyline. It's just... in my opinion, terrible. Yuna and Tidus (the main characters) annoyed me the most! And the script, the American one, was terrible. Whoever wrote that needs to reexamine their career choice...

I just thought it was terrible, overall. I'm not trying to be mean, just my opinion. However, it is obviously a very popular game and many people like it. So maybe I'm looking at this all the wrong way.

Tell me, why do you like FFX?

Xander
02-16-2004, 02:55 PM
I liked FFX because I just found it so much fun to play, and got totally addicted while I was playing it, probably more than I have with any other FF's so far.

The reasons I found it fun were:

- The battles: I liked being able to switch people in and out, and being able to use certain characters for certain fiends. I liked how the characters spoke and acted in battles, this made them more fun and I hardly ever got bored of random battles.

- Ability system - Refreshingly different. Made me want to fight more especially early on in the game, so I could spend more sphere levels, another reason why I enjoyed random battles.

- Customising equipment - A new idea, different, and fun allowing you much more choice over what your characters had.

- Sidequests - Okay not many, but the Monster Arena was brilliant, I loved this sidequest and spent hours on it.

So those are the main things that kept me hooked in terms of gameplay. In terms of the story and characters, I liked the characters. I liked Tidus, Yuna, and my favourite of course - Rikku ^^
I was always interested in the story, and the characters didn't annoy me, I liked most of them.

And I think FFX has so much playability, I completed it in 110 hours, but that was barely doing much more, I still have to kill the Dark Aeons and monster arena creations. The fact that you can break HP and damage limit on your characters is just brilliant, I think, it means you can just keep on making them amazingly stronger, something you couldn't do in previous FF's.

Final Fantasy X was pretty different to the others, which I was glad of, it was a different playing experience, which personally I just totally loved. So that's why I like it. =)

xenapan
02-16-2004, 07:19 PM
i personally hated MANY aspects of it.. but it was still a great game.

like you said.. monster arena ROCKS
the fmvs are top notch like the moonflow one, bevelle palace before and after the *ahem* ceremony

IMO random battles got MORE annoying than previous games.. and actaully after playing chrono trigger.. i think they shoulda kept that system then intergate the movement with the battles like chrono trigger.

the sphere grid was refreshingly new but customising abilities onto weapons wasnt that great. nice new concepts of break ____ limit but most of em are pretty useless with the exception of BDL.

im really dissapointed in the difficulty of the battles tho >_< most of the bosses you arent even fighting for your life... compared to FFV. but then true enough there was a increase in the difficulty curve once you passed into mt gagazet and sometimes it just toook a bit of planning and insight to deal with certian situations. (excluding the boss) mostly confusion, self destruction, nearly physical immune enemies then suddenly the change to a locked party. the turn system is solid but for some reason quick hit kinda messes it up because the same person takes his/her turn over and over again to a point then suddenly its someone else's turn. also it bothered me that some enemies were so fast/slow that they would actaully take turns instead of say like FFVIII they would just keep attacking you till you killed them or till you were dead.

zacks_clone
02-16-2004, 07:47 PM
I hated that you could put one character in,and when they were close to death,switch them out.Defeated the purpose of difficulty.So didnt the break damage limit.I beat Omega Weapon with one swipe.Pretty pathetic when you compair it to other games.

I didnt like the characters.Rikku,Yuna,andWakka especialy.Rikku and Wakka were there to amuse you basicly,and most of the time I wanted to drown Rikki,and smack Wakka with a board right upside the head.They annoyed me that much.Yuna...was basicly emtionless throuhgt the game.

But you asked what I liked about it...I suppose Iliked the graphics the best,and perhaps abit of the story( Aurons and Tidus's storys basicly.)

Wrexsoul
02-16-2004, 10:28 PM
What I hate the most is all the hype it got. FFX (and X-2, ugh) was the one that made the series WAY more mainstream -- I've never seen so many people bring the strategy guide to school and talk about it -- moreso than even FFVII.

So now we have a new generation of FF fans who are too spoiled on beautiful graphics to go back and play any of the older, classic Final Fantasies... which in my opinion had better/deeper storylines. Square always pushed the envelope, but graphics aren't everything in a game.

*mumble grumble* I almost miss the days when if I'd even MENTION Final Fantasy, nobody would have any idea what I was talking about...

DocFrance
02-16-2004, 10:47 PM
I LIEKD FFX BEACAUSE OF TEH PRETTY GRAFIX AND TEH VOISE (SP?) ACTING!!1 IT KEPT MY ATENCHUN BETTAR TEHN THAT BORING FF3 U NO TEH 1 WTH TERRA AND TEH MOOGLES LOL!!!1 :D :p ;) :whoa: :greenie: :tongue: :mog: :love:

OK, enough of that. In all seriousness, FFX was an alright game. I liked the plot. It was serious without being too serious, and the gameplay was fun. It was challenging enough - of course, I never spent the time to level up too much or find too many useful items, but I beat the game anyway with significant difficulty. I didn't mind the linearity of it (because when you think about it, most FF's are pretty linear for most of the game). I did mind the mind numbing number of times I had to stop playing and wait for the characters to finish talking. I'd rather play a game, not watch an interactive movie.

Oh, and Auron rocked.

escobert
02-17-2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Rampala

I'll be perfectly honest, I don't like FFX. It's not the worse game I've ever played, certainly not. I do like the battle system a lot, turned based is a great idea, and the graphics are needless to say incredible. However, there were so many things that bugged me about the game it overwhelmed the positive. I hate the map, it defeats the purpose of exploring or, heck, even playing-- if they're telling you where to go why are you playing at all? Just to follow an arrow? You wind up looking at the map more than the nice graphics they made for you. But, what really drives me crazy are the characters and the storyline. It's just... in my opinion, terrible. Yuna and Tidus (the main characters) annoyed me the most! And the script, the American one, was terrible. Whoever wrote that needs to reexamine their career choice...

I just thought it was terrible, overall. I'm not trying to be mean, just my opinion. However, it is obviously a very popular game and many people like it. So maybe I'm looking at this all the wrong way.

Tell me, why do you like FFX?
You said it all for me :)

eternalshiva
02-17-2004, 03:24 AM
I liked the story behind FFX but there was alot of the game that bothered me... like not being able to travel on the map, Why bother having a ship if you can't get mindlessly lost on the map and hear yourself saying *wtf? Where was I going again? Oh yeah.. that place with the mountains... wait... North or east?* I liked the Godzilla effect in all the other FF :/ I missed it in this one. Nothing like an overgrown character sneaking up and being 10 times bigger than the town! *ROAR! I AM SQUALL!* xD ahhh how entertaining. The way the story developped barely left anyroom to go see anything or do anything else but keep going with the story until you got the darn airship :/

Sure the game was fcool, the story was tragic, I even shed a tear at the end, but man, it was short until you got into the side quests.

The battle system rocked! The grid was a neat way to level up and the characters didn;t disapoint, although I am sure Tidus was less annoying in Japanese.

I was glad that FFX-2 came out, it was super fun and the ending was very satisfying, unlike X where I wanted to write evil mean letters to the story writers of S-E, plotting imagiary consequences that were possibly painful. xD *end rant*

zacks_clone
02-17-2004, 03:01 PM
I suppose the story wasnt to bad.I mean, the only real thing i hated was Yunas part of the story,Rikkus annoyance...And wakka...(sorry all you wakka fans...)

Now,as somone said,this game made everyone spoiled and not go back to play the other ff's...I have played the playstation ones,and my goodness...I cant find the others anywhere!So...im not one of them...(im dying to play ff tactics/advanced,and ffVI...)

I did like the idea that the chracters werent all perfect.I mean,take Wakka for example(yes...beat up on wakka day),I hated him.Most times.But thats a good thing!You had characters you hated for their personalitys.Wakka was just to thick in the head,a random al behd hater at first, not really to focused on his prioritys(like yuna)...So i hated him.Rikku I found annoying,but i liked how she had her own veiws on things and worries.There were some characters who got along(rikku & tidus.Tidus and wakka).Some who were more like the loners(Auron and Kimarhi really),the leaders(Lulu,who got along with yuna).Yeah,you had a varity of personalitys and inside party roles.I did like that part.

Rampala
02-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Wrexsoul
What I hate the most is all the hype it got. FFX (and X-2, ugh) was the one that made the series WAY more mainstream -- I've never seen so many people bring the strategy guide to school and talk about it -- moreso than even FFVII.

So now we have a new generation of FF fans who are too spoiled on beautiful graphics to go back and play any of the older, classic Final Fantasies... which in my opinion had better/deeper storylines. Square always pushed the envelope, but graphics aren't everything in a game.

*mumble grumble* I almost miss the days when if I'd even MENTION Final Fantasy, nobody would have any idea what I was talking about...

Exactly. I have a friend who absolutely loved FFX and tells me FFVII was the most boring game he's ever played. Eehhhhh?! :eek: Yeah. And, unfortunately, seeing the previews from FFXII, I don't think Square is returning to the old school, and pushing forward with the new bread of FF fans.

As far as the story goes, a lot of it was just bogus, I thought. Like when they first leave Al Bhed, Sin attacks the ship and they manage to scare him off-- meanwhile he goes and completely destroys and entire village. Wth? If he can rips a village to shreds what's so scary about a tiny little ship with one harpoon and a guy with a blitz ball? (Oh yes, and Tidus who is magically great with a sword the first time Auron-- who just wears his arm like that for fashion purposes-- throws him one.)

Tidus just annoyed me, all he seemed to say was "Hey, man!" and "Cool!" or "Ummm..." The fact that the first real scene you get is him in a crowd of fans just... ngh. And he rushes into some unknown temple to help the mysterious summoner-- "I.. have.. become... a voice actor!!" who he instantly falls for cause she's not some old bag. And Yuna, as said, is so emotionless and she's always saying "Please" or "Thank you." Which is fine, except that's all she ever says.

There was little emotion involved for the player, I thought. Like when Yuna leaves Al Bhed, everyone is crying and sad and it was like "Yeah.. so.. sad." Whereas, I actually cried at Aeris' burial. Just a much better crafted game, FF7, I thought.

As far as difficulty, the fact that you can break the 9999 for HP and hits is kind of annoying. It takes down the difficulty level, naturally. My boyfriend, who's a game designer, pointed out that the very first battle in FFX Sin only uses Demi, which is great for a first battle because the characters can't actually die directly. Of course, the idea is that difficulty is supposed to progress. It didn't... And like someone said about the switching in and out characters, I agree. It's as if Square doesn't really want you to have to use your brain too much and plan ahead. I don't get it. Yet, the game seems to be hugely popular.

The Rogerer
02-24-2004, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure what to say about the difficulty level... I'd maintain that it's never fair to call a Final Fantasy game 'difficult' when you're only ever a few level up's away from victory.

Anyway, on my first play through I really disliked FFX. Over a year later, I decided to finish it (after giving up at the final dungeon) and thought it best just to start a new game. This time I found it a lot more enjoyable, I was able to understand why certain things were the way they were, and why characters acted the way they did.

I'd say Yuna's lines suffered the most in the translation. The Japanese obviously had pauses in the middle of sentences that work there but not in english. Hence the "I...have become.... a summoner", unfortunately she can't talk if the lips aren't moving... The performance definately does suffer for it throughout.

But I didn't like or dislike Tidus too much, I think I considered it more of a journey story than a character story, and in the end there was some progression.

I didn't really notice more people playing this one as such, maybe just more people own consoles these days. Yes, they won't go back and play earlier FFs, but then again part of the reason I enjoy the older FFs is from the sentimental value of the memories from when the game was released. That's part of the reason that I don't enjoy FF6 as much as others... It wasn't released in the UK so it wasn't until I got the net and an emulator that I played it. However, back in those mid 90's I was busy playing Secret of Mana instead and I find it more enjoyable to play, I don't know if it's truly better or worse than FF6, I just have happier memories.

Cliff's Notes: I guess I just like it because I think it's good. Took me two years to grow on me though :)

razor248725
02-24-2004, 11:20 AM
i liked it because the battle system was fantastic because you can actually change characters and weapons/armour during battle, which is perfect for those tricky battles.
also the sphere grid was quite a good idea. you actually get to develop the stats YOU want like strength speed, etc. not just getting a bit of everything when you gain a level.
somthing else i though was a good idea was that there were loads of super hard optional bosses, not just one or two like in ffVIII i loved fighting omega weapon but i wanted more, so i guess they just decided to dump in alot of optional bosses to keep people like me happy and later put even more in (dark aeons) which should be fun to fight (havent fought them yet, although i bumped into dark magnus sisters accidently today, which slaughtered me).
the voice acting was pretty not up to scratch but it was nice for a change.
and the graphics...so real (duh thats coz its on ps2:P)
and yeah although i havent quite finished it yet its given me about 75 hours of enjoyment:)

Greeneyes
02-27-2004, 06:56 AM
As far as the story goes, a lot of it was just bogus, I thought. Like when they first leave Al Bhed, Sin attacks the ship and they manage to scare him off-- meanwhile he goes and completely destroys and entire village. Wth? If he can rips a village to shreds what's so scary about a tiny little ship with one harpoon and a guy with a blitz ball?

I believe that Sin didn't really want to attack the ship but was actually on its way to attack the village. The ship just happened to be on Sin's path.It didn't really bother to stop for the ship as it was too small fries for it. Another reason could be that Sin/Jeckt recognized Tidus on board the ship & didn't want to attack his own son. Tidus was actually thrown overboard by the shockwave & not actually attacked .

And he rushes into some unknown temple to help the mysterious summoner-- "I.. have.. become... a voice actor!!" who he instantly falls for cause she's not some old bag.

Hey, if I come across a babe with one green-eye & one blue one & looked like Yuna, I'd MARRY her in a heartbeat. :p :p

As for rushing into the temple, jocks are usually hotheads who rush into things without thinking. :tongue: . Actually, his heart is in the right place..he merely worried that someone was missing for a couple of days & wanted to help.

I'd say Yuna's lines suffered the most in the translation. The Japanese obviously had pauses in the middle of sentences that work there but not in english. Hence the "I...have become.... a summoner",

Yup. In Japanese, it's actually, " I have done it! I have become a summoner!" -without pauses. And she says it with conviction & joy.

The original Japanese voice-acting is WAAAY better than the English one. And it's because the J-voice actors put more heart & professionalism into the voice acting. If you happen to come across the extra DVD in the special edition of FFX Intnl, you can see this in the interviews of the actors. The Jpnese actors really have more "fire in their bellies". They even got haircuts to resemble the characters that they were playing and wore similar accesories. For instance, the Jpnese actor for Yuna cut her hair Yuna-style and wore the same necklace, earrings & rings as Yuna. Same for the actor who played Tidus. He was this cool-looking J-dude (can't remember his name) and wore the Zarnarkland Abes necklace & ring throughout the interview. Character immersion & dedication are words to describe the Japanese cast. The interview with the English actors, however, was somethin' else. Heidi looked like she just got-off from snorking cocaine & the English Tidus was this nerdy looking guy who was trying too hard to be a surfer-dude. :rolleyes2

Anyway, I really play FF games for the story & I enjoyed FFX, although I wished Tidus & Yuna got back together in the end. I can't stand tragedies.
:cry:

ps. I know they get back together in ffx-2 but I can't stand sequels either. lol! :tongue:

Savannah
04-03-2004, 10:09 PM
I loved FFX. The atmosphere was lush and vibrant, and the characters didn't make me want to commit violent acts (can't say as much for Cloud, Aeris, Rinoa, or Squall).

I had fun exploring Spira. I mean, once you get in the airship, there's a point where you're free to go wherever you want, so I don't know where the "you-can't-roam-the-map" complaints are coming from.

It was a great game. I think some people hang onto the earlier ones for nostalgic value, but FFX was the first Final Fantasy I played. I loved it.

FF7 was a great game too, sure, but I thought it offered little more in comparison. I think a lot of people just like it because it was the first FF they played, the one that really made FF mainstream, and maybe my opinion of FFX is biased too since it was the first one I played.

aeris2001x2
04-03-2004, 11:39 PM
to be honest upon my first play it was my worst ff. i still liked it but tought it lacked a certain ff atmospere. i also didnt want them 2 speak.

however, the side quests, particulary monster arena and super bosses were amazing. on the second play it stormed up 2 third. i do genuinly think the story was highly original and the character development 4 tidus yuna auron, jecht, seymour was very decent. also the team spirit the seven showed and particulary wakkas relationship with tidus were factors i loved.

"ps. I know they get back together in ffx-2 but I can't stand sequels either. lol! "

sos 2 be harsh greeneyes but mark your spoliers. i havent finished ffx-2 100% yet and while that was likely to happen, u have still ruined my hope that ffx-2 would stick with a tragic end like ffx.

Del Murder
04-04-2004, 03:32 AM
I didn't think it was that good. Maybe it's the lack of world map, maybe I'm just getting to old for this stuff. This one disappointed me, I'd much rather play all of them over again before this one (exception: FFII).

Savannah
04-04-2004, 07:40 AM
The lack of a map seems to be one of the main issues with the game. But there IS a world map and you CAN explore Spira in its entirety, at least before the game is over.

Most FFs seem to have that period just before the end where you can explore as you wish; I'm not sure why not having this option during the whole FFX game, when you have a task to do anyway, brings the game down for some people. Usually, in FF7, when I visited places not on the itinerary, they were closed or blocked off somehow anyway (ex., Red XIII's home was one of my favorite places to go, but until the point in the game where the characters had to use the telescope thing, it was blocked off; and after I was done, there wasn't much point to going back anyway). And I got lost way too much on FFVI's world map, which led to running into way too many random battles.

I don't know about you guys, but I would have gladly traded in the FF7 and FF8 world maps to get rid of some of the characters in those games. :p

aeris2001x2
04-04-2004, 11:10 AM
ff8 far enough, they nearly all reeked, but which ff7 guys didnt u like? warning...beware blaspemy! lol

Savannah
04-05-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by aeris2001x2
ff8 far enough, they nearly all reeked, but which ff7 guys didnt u like? warning...beware blaspemy! lol

Tifa and Aeris (I tried my damnest not to end up on a date with either of them, and got the one I hated most). Cloud wasn't much fun, either. I couldn't bring myself to care about what happened to him one way or another.

I don't want to turn this into a FF7 character-bash thread, though, because I know how many people are unwaveringly loyal to those characters. I'll just say that I liked FFX's much more than FF7's or FF8's.

aeris2001x2
04-06-2004, 04:18 PM
i personally prefer ff7 but hey its opinion. i would like 2 know why you prefered ffx characters though out of interest. maybe its just cause cloud was a depressed ****wit, aka, i relate to him more lol.

Savannah
04-07-2004, 05:06 AM
I guess the FFX characters were a little more mature. With the "!!!!!"s in the little text bubbles taken away from the game, I think it gave the dialogue more realism, even if some of the voice acting was horrible. No one had tremendously hilariously huge boobs, no one moped and pined for someone (Yuna and Tidus wasn't my favorite romance, but it was nowhere near as annoying as Tifa refusing to help anyone in the group out except Cloud, or dropping out when he went missing). I guess the FF7 characters seemed, to me, overdone, too cartoony. Maybe that's expecting too much out of a video game, but I liked the FFX characters' subdued personalities much more, and found them more believable and likable that way.

aeris2001x2
04-07-2004, 06:44 PM
i definitly know why you prefer them now. i dont know if i agree on realism but ffx was more western imho while ff7 was done in an anime/manga style. i,m an absolute anime otaku (the western use of otaku, not the japanese meaning which is quite bad) and i,m also in love with aeris, hence my nickname.

which was your fav romance by the way?

Savannah
04-08-2004, 03:54 AM
i definitly know why you prefer them now. i dont know if i agree on realism but ffx was more western imho while ff7 was done in an anime/manga style. i,m an absolute anime otaku (the western use of otaku, not the japanese meaning which is quite bad) and i,m also in love with aeris, hence my nickname.

which was your fav romance by the way?

Well. Hm. I haven't liked any that I've seen so far, really. I'm not finished with FF6 so I don't know if there's a definate romance in that one, but I was sort of pushing for a Leo/Terra romance, which would have been my favorite if it had happened.

Greeneyes
04-08-2004, 06:48 AM
sos 2 be harsh greeneyes but mark your spoliers. i havent finished ffx-2 100% yet and while that was likely to happen, u have still ruined my hope that ffx-2 would stick with a tragic end like ffx.

Sorry about that, aeris. I've edited my earlier post with spoilers. By the way, why do you hope ffx-2 will end tragically? Just curious.

aeris2001x2
04-09-2004, 06:47 PM
cause i feel a happy end would destroy the genius way tidus left yuna in ffx. i have seen the end of ffx-2 100% now and it was good. howeveri feel it undermines and destroys the essence of the ffx end.

this would be the same reason why aeris must stay dead. i love her, but 4 her to come back would undermine ff7.

at least ffx-2 end was nice. ff8 end...oh my god, horrible lol. however ff8,ff9 and now ffx-2 have all had romantic reunions and i,m sort of getting sick of them.