PDA

View Full Version : Firebird/firefox questions

Erdrick Holmes
02-16-2004, 04:08 PM
This may seem liker a minor question but I use Mozilla firebird as my default browser and my browsing has never been better. Should I bother getting Firefox?

Peegee
02-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Let's put it this way: I use Firefox. Me. PG. The guy who ranted until his face was green that Firebird sucks (it still does). Now of course there's noting extensively different. It's not like it plays embedded midis or modifies the scrollbars using ccs scripts (>: o), but...

You know what? I have no reasons to support my using of Firefox. Just get it.

Dr Unne
02-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Firefox is just an upgrade for Firebird. Firefox seems much faster to me than Firebird did. It has a new download manager. It supposedly no longer treats binary files as text files when a server sends the wrong MIME type. It has an official installer program now. There are likely a few hundred/thousand bugfixes as well, that's typical. There's no reason not to upgrade.

crono_logical
02-16-2004, 05:47 PM
Can you download extensions and install them locally off your HD? I hate installing anything off the internet, only from local disks or the LAN at most :p

Erdrick Holmes
02-16-2004, 07:54 PM
I got Fox, now Im a lazy bum, exactly where in the firebord directory do I got to get my cache or files I got whilst browsing and my cookies, temporary internet files, bookmarked pages. etc so I can copy them to Firefox?

Dr Unne
02-16-2004, 08:17 PM
If you download the extension file (.xpi or something?) and open it in Firebird from your HD, it should prompt you to install it, so far as I know.

It's not a good idea to try to transfer stuff like caches and settings between versions of Firebird. If it didn't auto-detect them when you upgraded I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. They usually recommend manually deleting your profile folder anyways when upgrading between major versions.

Erdrick Holmes
02-16-2004, 08:21 PM
Great I have to redo my bookmarks. Bleys told me it was supposed to overright firebird so I can keep my bookmarks but, meh!

Big Ogre Umaro
02-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Did you delete your old Firebird installation? If not, just open it, go to Manage Bookmarks, then click on File -> Export. You can then Import them in Firefox.

Also, if you did delete 0.7, you might do well to check your Profile Manager (the installer even adds a shortcut to it in your start menu, unlike previous releases where you just had to type -p in the Run dialogue). You might be able to start Firefox up with your old Profile, but you'll just want to export your favorites and make a new profile anyway.