PDA

View Full Version : Would you like fate?

Nait
02-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Which would be more fun, fate or no fate? I would hate it if there was fate, cause then all this would be meaningless. Of course it's meaningless in any case but you know what I mean, right?

escobert
02-16-2004, 04:30 PM
I agree with you.

Peegee
02-16-2004, 04:30 PM
No I don't. I like the idea that reality is shaped by a set of causal rules that is mathematically determined from the moment the universal spawned. In fact I believe it to be as such. It makes everything meaningful, instead of a random clump of arbitarily determined 'meaning' that really has no meaning to begin with, because it's all random/self determined.

Fate imo means everything has a purpose. No fate = things randomly happened and now we're here, but we don't know why we are here, or what we're supposed to do.

Nait
02-16-2004, 05:28 PM
I like to think that there was some sort of predetermined four-dimensional plan that was destroyed as soon as life, with all its irrationality, was spawned. I mean, that'd be pretty cool. It'd be unavoidable to lose fate, cause when life comes along, it disappears. Of course, when life disappears it'll be back... Or WOULD it?

Leeza
02-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Fate must be a bit scewed up if it had anything to do with you being so confusing, Nait. :)

Del Murder
02-16-2004, 06:16 PM
It would be fun to have fate because then I would punch her in the nose and she'd know it was coming.

zacks_clone
02-16-2004, 06:25 PM
but wouldnt that be chaos?She'd duck,so you;d kick and she'd jump back and it'd go on forever...or am i just utterly lost?

Mikztsu
02-16-2004, 06:25 PM
It would be fun. I could just ease up, relax, and wait things just to happen. Whatever there's coming for me.

Auron_Kotetsu
02-16-2004, 07:01 PM
I think people were FATED not to ever know the answer to this question.
*shifty eyes*

Seriously though, I think the idea of fate is as improbable as the idea of a god (and apologies if anyone feels strongly otherwise). I just can't wrap my mind around the notion that everything that could ever happen is already determined. What a waste of potential! That would just be silly.

I think of it in terms of paths. Every person at every moment has a finite number of paths before them, and theirs is the choice of what road to take. This is true for every decision, and only after making them can we know the effects of what we do. I think I started thinking along those lines after reading Frank Herbert's "Dune"; Paul Muad'dib's idea of "seeing the possible future" makes a lot of sense. He could only see for certain as far as the next crucial decision. Anything beyond that was just a possibility of what might be. Sort of like the future you see in Galadriel's Mirror, you know?

I think the whole thing is a very cool idea.

Rye
02-16-2004, 08:34 PM
I think people were FATED not to ever know the answer to this question.

I agree with that.

DocFrance
02-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Mikztsu
It would be fun. I could just ease up, relax, and wait things just to happen. Whatever there's coming for me. Well, if you did nothing, then you would certainly be fated to get a whole lot of nothing.

Fate encourages laziness if you ask me. The future is only what we make of it. It hasn't been written yet.

Xander
02-16-2004, 09:20 PM
I like to think that fate exists to an extent, because it makes me feel better about life I guess. But as to which is more fun...it would probably be more fun not to have fate, but then if fate does exist there's a certain assurance in thinking things happen for a reason.

Jebus
02-16-2004, 09:42 PM
I don't believe in fate. It doesn't make rational sense. Plus I like thinking I'm in control of myself. I HATE it when someone else tries to control me. I mean, I know most people hate it, but I get REALLY pissed, even if its for something minor. So, fate sucks.

Yamaneko
02-16-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm pretty sure Fate has some fail-safe that stops you from posting this thread.

black orb
02-17-2004, 01:26 AM
>>> If something interesting happens in my life, I will believe in fate..

DeathIsMyFreedom
02-17-2004, 05:48 AM
Hmm fate or no fate...fate gives people but so does no fate...people want fate because there afraid of that much control, but some people brake out and want to control, and take control like my g/f for example hehe, i for one could give a less, ill just life take my course. Whats funny is that we dont like the idea of not being able to do anything its all predertimend yet...we still belive in fate..its a joke..hah..

Free Spirit
02-17-2004, 06:02 AM
Look at what my email name is.

Fate Fatale
03-08-2005, 01:21 AM
There is not fate or god for that matter. Who would let us sinful people live in this world of mass chaos. I'm litrally suprised the world hasn't come to an end...

Leeza
03-08-2005, 02:26 AM
Please do not revive threads that have long been buried and make me think that Nait actually came back to post. :(