PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem help.

Shoeberto
02-16-2004, 10:04 PM
I signed up for cable service today, hooked everything up, and activated my account online through my dial-up service. But the modem isn't recieving any signal from the cable line. I've tried power cycling it and everything I saw that was suggested on cable-modems.org related to this, but it doesn't work. All I get is about every 10-15 minutes, the cable signal light will flash on and off for a bit, then stop flashing entirely. The taskbar notifies me that the network has been disconnected, then it'll say it's reconnected, and I'm back where I've started. It's not a faulty modem, as that's what I thought in the first place. I traded in the first modem I got from the Time Warner offices and this is the second one. I'm really annoyed and want to know what's going on with it.

Dr Unne
02-16-2004, 10:04 PM
Call the cable company.

Shoeberto
02-16-2004, 10:29 PM
<font color="#009999">
That was the first thing I did.

The Man
02-16-2004, 11:39 PM
What did they do? :o

crono_logical
02-17-2004, 12:39 AM
Not a good job, clearly :p Maybe check the cabling/connections too.

Dr Unne
02-17-2004, 12:40 AM
If there's a problem with the box, there's nothing you can do about it.

Erdrick Holmes
02-17-2004, 01:07 AM
I think I had this problem before. Your ethernet/NIC card is prolly not configurated with your system.

escobert
02-17-2004, 01:49 AM
I ahd a problem the other day with my box. It ended up my ethernet wire was bad. Maybe try changing your wire. Also I've problems with routers. If you have one try diconecting it and see what happens.

Shoeberto
02-17-2004, 05:13 PM
Okay, first off, I didn't have them do anything. I just called technical support, which was about worthless. There's nothing wrong with the modem, unless there was a whole bad line of them. My ethernet card is good, as my PC tries communicating with the modem (I see the data light blinking on the modem and the network traffic shows outgoing data). All of the cables are good. My friend's dad works for the cable company and my friend's going to see if he can get him to take a look at it.

Dr Unne
02-17-2004, 06:16 PM
I know next to nothing, but from what my father said the cable guy said, sometimes if your cable is spliced too many times in your house, you can get a signal too slow / weak to work for the internet. I think in my house they had to splice the line as soon as it came into the house; one to go to the internet exclusively, and another to be split among our 4 TVs. Maybe that's your problem. But probably not.

The cable modem has lights on it, right? Do any of the lights light up at all? Most modems I've seen, the lights will blink or light up in specific patterns, and it comes with a book to look up the pattern if there's a problem. Even if there's no signal, some "no signal" light would light up. But there are so many kinds of cable modems, I don't know if all of them work like that.

Maybe you should call back the cable company and demand to speak with someone who isn't a moron. You're a customer, and you're paying for something that you currently can't use. If they don't help you, tell them you're cancelling their service unless they get with it.